Notices

Finding Help

Old 03-17-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finding Help

I’m having a very hard time finding professional help. I need advice. Did you call your insurance company, ask your gp for a referral?? I don’t know where to start. I
Old 03-17-2018, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Force. I too had a lot of trouble finding help when I decided I needed it. If you have a GP -- that's a great first start They can probably put you in touch maybe with an IOP program or something. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Hi Force. I too had a lot of trouble finding help when I decided I needed it. If you have a GP -- that's a great first start They can probably put you in touch maybe with an IOP program or something. Good luck.
Thank u!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in the very same situation as you.

I made an appointment with my GP which I've never done before regarding my drinking.
I'm super nervous about it but with the really good advice from the members of this site I feel much more at ease about the whole thing.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/424946-made-appointment.html

That's the link to the Thread I made. There's many great replys from the members that are similar to the question you are asking.

Best regards :-)
Old 03-18-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you're in an emergency situation then go to the ER or call 911.

If you can wait and are looking for medical guidance then yes, call your GP. Be totally honest about your alcohol use.

If you are looking for detox or rehab and have insurance then call your insurance company. If you have a job and they have an HR dept you can work with them as well. If you don't have insurance use google to find free or low cost detox facilities in your area.

If you need group support google or call your local AA or Smart Recovery. If you attend church they may have a Celebrate Recovery group.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here force, were you able to contact anyone for some help? Another option you might check out is if your workplace has an employee assistance program of sorts, most are 100% confidential and can help with a wide range of things.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I finally went to my local doc he was a mormon who was helping a buddy through AA so he understood, and I was honest with him, that was the toughest part for me. when I put my consumption in words it makes me still cringe thinking about the financial and the biggest one opportunity cost. I didn't have insurance so we went through some of the things I had already researched and got pricing. I already knew what I wanted to try, first, second, and third, he gave me 4 days of valium that I hadn't wanted but I'm glad he did, and my wife a list of signs to watch for. he was surprised when I came back for a follow up and was still sober though.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Force View Post
I’m having a very hard time finding professional help. I need advice. Did you call your insurance company, ask your gp for a referral?? I don’t know where to start. I
If you want to start seeing an addiction therapist, give your insurance company a call and ask them for a list of ones in your area.
You also can simply google "addiction center" and tons will likely show up.
Most take pretty much any insurance and they will have you come in for an evaluation to get together a plan of action.