Notices

Some of us don't know what is "Normal"

Old 03-17-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some of us don't know what is "Normal"

Based on some other posts here I have been thinking about the idea of "normal". When we stop drinking, when does it happen and how do we know we are there?

Well in my case I'm not sure I will ever know. I drank and partied pretty consistently from approximately age 15 to age 55. 40 years! So I don't see how I could ever know when I'm "normal" since I have not experienced a long term sober normal since the 1970s. And I realize normal for a 55 year old is far different from normal for a 15 year old.

What I do know is that I feel better in many ways relative to how I felt a couple of years ago when I was drinking every day. That's enough for me.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The concept of normal has always been elusive to me anyway. Now I'm just "better," and I really like it.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Soberado

Originally Posted by rascalwhiteoak View Post
The concept of normal has always been elusive to me anyway. Now I'm just "better," and I really like it.
Right on, I'm just better too after quitting a year ago. I can't remember normal or define it now.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't think "normal" exists even for people who have never had an issue with addiction. Too many variables in life for there to be a "one size fits all" solution.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In recovery, I have gradually found a new normal. It's far better than anything I sort-of had before - I'm also one of those people who never quite felt like others, despite being little miss overachiever, popular, etc etc. I had a good cover for a long time; now, my life is real.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

‘Normal’ can be used to bend the rules.
Logic and science work best for me.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sobriety is my "new" normal.

As for myself personally, I'll never be "normal"...and I love it!
Old 03-18-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"normal" is a setting on a washing machine.
what happens whenb the washing machine is set to normal?
if fill with water, then aggitates.

"normal" is aggitating.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I never felt normal when I was drinking, I was usually either feeling lost/depressed/outside or I was really, really drunk - or I isolated myself from society.

Now I feel just OK . not better or worse than other people, but I feel I'm ok the way I am and I can be around other people and feel confident about it, which is a huge step for me
Old 03-21-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Normal = boring.

I feel fantastic sober.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

NORMAL a setting on my dishwasher.
When I was a kid, I was unable to live sober so I drank. After I did a honest and complete fifth step, I wanted to not drink and live sober.
My normal changes ODAAT- it isn't static.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Normal SUCKS! Seriously think about it. The only thing normal ever did was get people into trouble. It moves people into more debt, drinking and drug problems, bad life choices you name it. Tell me one person who came up with a really good business idea trying to be normal. Name how Jesus Christ, Steve Jobs and Abraham Lincoln were trying to be normal. Give yourself permission to seek different! I say normality is the enemy!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

Wanted to say I love all the replies here.
Glad you are feeling better AAPJ
Old 03-22-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am not normal and I have no desire whatsoever to be "normal". I exceed at excess. I find and run with things that interest me and the result is outstanding.
I learned to channel my addiction and turn it to things that make my life better.
*&%^% normal!

Fire for effect!
Old 03-30-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

While I like some things about AA I dont agree with their normal/ abnormal drinker dichotomy.
The so called normal drinker (whatever that might be) is not immune from drinking dangerously. It only takes one mess up to end up in hospital or worse and a 'normal' drinking past does not guarantee a blessed future.
So called 'normalcy' may be good for the liquor industry, but it is never safe for society.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think we have been hanging out together for the last 40 years...
Old 04-01-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think a better word than "normal" is healthy. I feel comfortable in my own skin and basically have peace of mind (most -- but not all -- the time). In early sobriety (the first year) I related to a Buddhist description of the mind: like a bunch of drunken monkeys.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Check out the happiness trap.

Not re alcohol specifically but generally he takes the view that normalcy is an illusion. We ALL have our demons.

So be kind always (I added that).

XX
Old 04-04-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Freud

Freud says normal and abnormal are similar. So once we know what abnormal is - then it should get a bit clearer.
Thank you
Dave 🤠
Old 04-04-2018, 08:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Based on some other posts here I have been thinking about the idea of "normal". When we stop drinking, when does it happen and how do we know we are there?

Well in my case I'm not sure I will ever know. I drank and partied pretty consistently from approximately age 15 to age 55. 40 years! So I don't see how I could ever know when I'm "normal" since I have not experienced a long term sober normal since the 1970s. And I realize normal for a 55 year old is far different from normal for a 15 year old.

What I do know is that I feel better in many ways relative to how I felt a couple of years ago when I was drinking every day. That's enough for me.
That's often the way I feel.

However, I still have to live life on life's terms and I've been getting better at this over the years.

What sobriety has given me is a reservoir of experience in which I didn't have to drink and from which I could learn/grow.