Notices

What does a bottle mean to you?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does a bottle mean to you?

Hi guys. This is super random, but has been bugging me for a while. A lot of people say that they drank “a bottle” of vodka, or insert favorite spirit, a day. How much does that mean? A pint, a fifth, a quart...? What does “a bottle” mean generally? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think we need some sort of universal measure conversion chart I am Canadian, we have litres.

The obvious answer is it doesn't matter if it's a thimble full, once a decade, if someone feels it's a problem, then it's their problem to recover from.

Still, I have no point of reference for things like a handle or a fifth - is that a fifth of a gallon, which is like a mickey here...
Old 03-16-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Trouble, pure and simple.

3/4 of a bottle of wine was and still would be destructive.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Why?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Why?
Trying to think through the potential health impacts of my consumption. P
Old 03-16-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

when I used to buy pints, I'd call them pints.
when I bought a fifth (750ml) of vodka, I'd call it a fifth.
but when I'd buy a liter, I'd call it a bottle.
When buying a 1.75, I'd call it a handle.

Semantics, but that's the verbiage I used.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

1 "unit" of alcohol is 1.5 oz 80 proof booze, 5 oz standard wine or 12 oz regular beer.

Divide that out by how much you drink at a sitting and you'll have a good idea.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I love numbers and one time decided to figure out the cheapest way i could get my booze and get the necesary amt of alcohol i needed to keep me happy.

After i broke it down every which way from tuesday. The QTY of actually alcohol ingested didnt really change much weather i drank beer vodka or wine etc.. What I could control tho was the cost but only to some degree. IE a bottle of 151 ended up being about the same price as say a 1.75 of regular rum. I could do a bit over half of a 750 of 151 in an evening. Or I could drink over half a 1.75 of regular rum in the end the amt of alcohol ingested was really the same.

So then it was like well how i can i manage to NOT have to go tot he store every day. So yeah i would never ever by a 750 of regular rum. I'd easily finish that in a night and be looking for more. so the 1.75 was a better bet as I was garanteed to not run out that evening before passout. But i might still have to hit the store the next day for another bottle.

The same applied for beer and wine too I had it all figured out.

So i started crunching the numbers can i ferment my own booze for less? even then it was getting tough to beat teh prices in the store but it could be done. I even tossed around the idea of skipping the grape juice and just fermenting water and sugar to see if i could save a buck that way and keep my drinking binges going on the cheap.

THo in the end a non alcholic doesnt obess liek this over this kinda nonsense....
Old 03-16-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post
Trying to think through the potential health impacts of my consumption. P
Past consumption? Or ongoing?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Past consumption? Or ongoing?
Past. Why?
Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by eyes99 View Post
Past. Why?
If sober, then worrying about the health implications of your past drinking is probably an exercise in anxiety. If you have health concerns, see your doctor, be honest about your drinking.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lot of people say that they drank “a bottle” of vodka, or insert favorite spirit, a day. How much does that mean?

To mean it doesn't mean anything.

I once told a room full of people at an AA meeting, that I could stop with only 1 drink over the two week Christmas Holidays.

As long as that drink came in a 55 gallon drum, no problem. I might even have some left over.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all of the responses! To clarify, I got interested as I listened to other people’s journeys. Recently, someone posted that they progressed from 2 bottles of wine to a bottle of spirits a day. It’s helpful to me to understand what that means, as I look at my own consumption and progression. I recently had yet another day 1 after a relapse. Being clear about how much alcoholics like me are drinking keeps it real and present to me (and btw, 10 years ago, I was drinking almost a fifth a day. I had dialed my consumption down long before I realized that I was an alcoholic).