Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

DSM's definition of Alcohol Use Disorder - holy moly

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I posted this in the Newcomer's section but I think it's so impactful I'd post something similar here.

This is the most recent DSM definition of what they term, Alcohol Use Disorder. To me it was scary and reflective and insightful to answer these questions, and to compare myself to people, like my wife, who don't have problems with the poison.

A good reminder of what an issue I have with booze :

DSM-5

Scoring for symptoms 1 through 11

The presence of at least 2 of these symptoms indicates an Alcohol Use Disorder (AUD).

The severity of the AUD is defined as:

Mild: The presence of 2 to 3 symptoms

Moderate: The presence of 4 to 5 symptoms

Severe: The presence of 6 or more symptoms

In the past year, have you:

Had times when you ended up drinking more, or longer, than you intended?

More than once wanted to cut down or stop drinking, or tried to, but couldn't?

A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol, or recover from its effects. (See DSM-IV, criterion 9.)

Spent a lot of time drinking? Or being sick or getting over other aftereffects?
**This is new to DSM-5**

Found that drinking—or being sick from drinking—often interfered with taking care of your home or family? Or caused job troubles? Or school problems?

Continued to drink even though it was causing trouble with your family or friends?
Given up or cut back on activities that were important or interesting to you, or gave you pleasure, in order to drink?

More than once gotten into situations while or after drinking that increased your chances of getting hurt (such as driving, swimming, using machinery, walking in a dangerous area, or having unsafe sex)?

Continued to drink even though it was making you feel depressed or anxious or adding to another health problem? Or after having had a memory blackout?

Had to drink much more than you once did to get the effect you want? Or found that your usual number of drinks had much less effect than before?

Found that when the effects of alcohol were wearing off, you had withdrawal symptoms, such as trouble sleeping, shakiness, restlessness, nausea, sweating, a racing heart, or a seizure? Or sensed things that were not there?
Old 03-15-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

11 out of 11 for me.

I think these kinds of tools can certainly be helpful in initial diagnosis, but I think using it to "compare" yourself against someone else can be a slippery slope.

I had all the facts I needed to prove/measure my addiction long before I actually accepted it and quit.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
11 out of 11 for me.

I think these kinds of tools can certainly be helpful in initial diagnosis, but I think using it to "compare" yourself against someone else can be a slippery slope.

I had all the facts I needed to prove/measure my addiction long before I actually accepted it and quit.
Merely a comparison between me and someone I know intimately who would be hard pressed to choose even 1 symptom - clarity as per how easily I could click off on all 11.