Notices

Need help breaking the cycle

Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CGfamily View Post
That’s exactly what I’m going through every single week of my life.... the terential anxiety every single day after waking up from a binder, the constant cycle of bargaining and telling myself this week will be better... it never is

I guess one of my biggest fears is that getting sober will change my persona.. when I have the social lubricant? My social anxiety goes away, I’m very talkative, funny, mr personality... which in reality? I really don’t have any interest in interacting with most people, and I’m actually very docile.

Have you experienced this? How many days have you been so far? I’m on day 3 now, and like usual it’s beginning to lift in time for the weekend tirade.

That’s literally the same as me. I’m fairly introverted when I’m sober, no real desire to speak unless spoken to. I usually sit back and listen while forming my opinion in my head on the conversation if I’m with a group of people. My wife says I’m quiet around others, but I don’t see the reason in talking if I have nothing to say. But when I’m drinking, I’m very talkative and outgoing. Like a social switch is turned on.

I haven’t had a drink since Sunday. Coming up on one of my favorite past times this weekend; St Paddy’s Day. My body and mind are finally starting to feel better from my last binge and I plan on keeping it that way. My body is telling me I need to change this “cycle” I’m in. Because if I keep going at the rate that I am for another 10 years, I probably won’t see my 40’s.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CGfamily View Post
Hey there Scott, I would absolutely love to quit... I’ve come to the stark (and difficult) realization that I physically cannot day I know responsibly.. there’s two levels with alcohol to me, there’s sober, and there’s drunk, absolutely no inbetween. The worst part about it is I absolutely love drinking.

I’m on day 2 now and just feeling the usual after weekend bender feelings... intense anxiety, depression, incredibly foggy, hard to concentrate, insomnia...
I can relate to this so so much.
How are you doing today? I hope you've managed to stay off the drink.

Like you, once I start I can not stop. Yesterday I bought one bottle of wine and told myself that is all I will drink. That was a big failure and I went out a bought more.

For me it's either sober or absolutely wasted until I pass out. This cycle is horrible..
Old 03-15-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It has been stated over and over that alcohol is a depressant. And it seriously causes major anxiety especially if you are trying to detox. I have had horrible consequences from drinking and sincerely don't wish you anything like that. Quit while you can. At first you may feel antisocial but when the fog lifts I am positive that you will find your true self and be more gregarious and outgoing than before. We alcoholics think we are funny when we are drunk but my friends told me I was so much more fun when I was not drinking.