Notices

My Last Shot at Sobriety - How I Feel Now

Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Last Shot at Sobriety - How I Feel Now

I'll try to make a very long story short...
Today marks 29 days sober for me. If I take 1 more drink my wife leaves me, and I can't let that happen because my love for her is far greater than my love for alcohol.

This time around I didn't experience the "pink cloud". Maybe that's a good thing? I don't have that false sense of happiness and joy that normally would only last a month or so. Maybe a little depression, but I'll push through it.

Sweating horribly if/when I go to sleep, but that too shall pass.

I suffered a subdural hematoma as a result of drinking so heavily in October and left me with a bit of damage to my brain. Although rare from alcoholism, it does exist. Was in ICU for 2 weeks given a 50/50 chance of survival.

That's all I have for now, I hope to be an active participant in this forum.

Cheers
Old 03-09-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

Congrats on 29 days, SoberInSoCal. You're doing great!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome SoberInSoCal - coingrats on 29 days
I suffered a series of mini strokes...it was a close call for me too but I'm glad we both made it

D
Old 03-09-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Glad you both are ok. You scared me. Drinking is definately serious stuff.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR SoberInSoCal, glad to hear you are making a choice to reclaim your life. And i'm glad you were able to make it through a very scary situation. You'll find a lot of support and understanding here, so I hope you can indeed stick around and join us for some sharing and learning.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Welcome SoberInSoCal. I just wondered if you are doing anything to treat your alcoholism. I Ask for two reasons.

Firstly, your wife is very important to you and she may find you tough to live with if you a suffering from untreated alcoholism.

The second thing would be to consider what would happen in the event that she left anyway. Would your sobriety be dependent on what she does, or are you planning to stay sober regardless.

The good news is you can treat your alcoholism, which will make you a nice person to be around on the one hand, and also someone who can stay sober no matter what happens. Someone who can look in the mirror and like who they see.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Welcome and YAY, you're almost at a month!

I may have had a flirtation with Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome on my final binge last May and perhaps on several self-detoxes prior to that which has left me with some residual neurological effects. They seem to be fading a bit. Hopefully yours will as well. Lots of physical and mental exercise helps!
Old 03-10-2018, 03:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Welcome SoberInSoCal. I just wondered if you are doing anything to treat your alcoholism. I Ask for two reasons.

Firstly, your wife is very important to you and she may find you tough to live with if you a suffering from untreated alcoholism.

The second thing would be to consider what would happen in the event that she left anyway. Would your sobriety be dependent on what she does, or are you planning to stay sober regardless.

The good news is you can treat your alcoholism, which will make you a nice person to be around on the one hand, and also someone who can stay sober no matter what happens. Someone who can look in the mirror and like who they see.
I want to start Intensive Outpatient Therapy but that will have to wait until my work settles a bit. I went to a rehab facility for 28 days for medication and therapy. I know what sobriety looks like in our life, as I had been sober before. All was well but now with the damage to my brain my personality has changed a bit and I can't find humor in things. The neurologist said it will take a few years for a full recovery.

The question regarding my wife leaving regardless... I would probably pick it up again since I quit for "us" and not "me".

All I know is I'm sober again today. I take breath tests throughout the day and send to my wife a photo of the device with the current time and date pulled up on the computer to keep me in check, and her mind at ease.

Too much to think about right now...
Old 03-12-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We're very glad you're here and we all hope you (and us) never drink again.

Please keep us posted.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome!