Notices

Hope

Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope

What gives you hope?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope for a sober today. I'm nine years sober, and every day I hope I won't drink.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow I reserve the right to drink. But hope I won't.
It's today and if I don't drink I will have accomplished something.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I dont always really hope much. I mean if i'm in a tight bind i'll hope that things get better.

But one example of where i'm hopeless is say my job. I dont hope that it'll get better it wont. Its a hopeless situation. The only solution is to find someting else. Do i hope to find something else? nah not really it'll happen or it wont. To avoid dealing with the frustration of this situation rather then hope I just focus on other things that make me happy. Other things that I Can do NOW to bring me results NOW. it might not solve my work situation but I feel good not just sitting around hoping for things to improve.

So i guess I tend to not hope so much but rather look around my life for things that I can do that I can take caer of that I can make better and improve and I just try and focus on those. Believe me there is enough of that to keep me occupied that I have less mental compacity to focus on a situation I maybe should hope for a better outcome.

For me if i do nothing and just hope it can kinda bring me down.

that being said after a bad day I usually am eager to just go to bed and hopeful that the next day i'll get a chance to try it again and have a better outcome.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hope that I can repair relationships damaged by alcohol.
Hope that I will always see how alcohol ruined parts of my life.
Hope that I will continue to get wiser and stronger in sobriety.
Hope that we all find peace, just for today.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hope that everything that has happened to me,
that I've chosen, good and bad,
is helping me to grow into a wiser and more compassionate person
who can then be of more use to other people and myself.

I don't regret any of it anymore.
It's made me who I am.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You know that's a lot harder question to answer than I thought it would be.

But really, everything. As long as I'm sober. When I'm drinking there is no hope that's for sure. I'm so grateful that I don't have to drink, unless I choose to. That's hopeful for sure. I live in the US and truly have 'first world' problems. I stress about the stupidest things....when compared to many of my fellow humans around the world. Many of whom are simply trying to get water, or not get blown up. I mean, that puts things in perspective right there. I live in a place where my daughter is, for the most part, safe. That is HUGE.

My daughter is 17, highly sensitive, emotional and intelligent. And, um, entitled. She stresses about the stupidest stuff. Which of course I can't minimize but must at the same time help her to understand that she has everything to be grateful for. Yeah, nothing is perfect. We have had some seriously big obstacles in our lives. My alcoholism being one of them. But where there is gratitude there is always hope. Where there is self pity, victim thinking and resentment there can only be sadness. I have a choice everyday.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The one thing that has given me a lot of hope over the last few days is reading the stories of many of the people on this site who have lived through their worst days and have come out the other side at peace, happy, fulfilled.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think you can find hope just about anywhere - but you have to look for it. You can find it right here on SR as some have mentioned.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lots of seemingly negative things have happened over the last 9ish years, but I have not needed to drink through any of them.

Things have always worked out ok in the long run...sometimes better than I would have planned.

I am experiencing joy...and even remaining quite chipper...in the face of things which previously I would have seen as disaster. Meanwhile some oretty tremendous and awesome things also happen in my life.

Life in drink was hopeless. The best I hoped for was to get through another day and I genuinely didn't expect things to get any better. Today I know that my future can look pretty bright. I have lots of hope today It builds and builds the longer I stay sober.

P