Notices

Forced to resign from work

Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Forced to resign from work

I was forced to resign my job this week. I’ve been very forgetful and anxious since quitting alcohol and my work suffered for it. Still hanging on to my sobriety like a life raft, but depression has flooded my soul and not sure when it will get better.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am very sorry to hear this, FridaK.

This may be the perfect time for you to focus on yourself. To get your mental, emotional, physical and spiritual bodies in line.

On the 17th of Jan I was fired from my job. I was 10 months plus sober. A lot of "life" was taking place in that time. I wont go in to all of it. I have a thread.

Of course I was devastated. I was not sure how or what I was going to do.
I relapsed. I did not learn how to deal with my emotional self and I am now taking measures to gain emotional sobriety as this seems to be a main reason for my discomfort and my relapse. Moving forward in to a Mizzuno 4.0

I can assure you that you will find another job. You will be working again. Take this time as a time to build on your sobriety and build a stronger foundation. I have recently learned how I am not in the drivers seat of life. Let life do what it does and stay the course of sobriety.

Sending hugs and support your way. This situation is not permanent. Nothing is permanent.

You are not alone. It is really good that you reached out and started a thread. The community will be along to support you.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

I am really sorry to hear that. I am sad to say that it is something that I truly worry about as well.
My anxiety is so so bad that sometimes I can hardly talk .
I wish you all the best.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

All we can do is work with what life throws at us and continue to push ourselves forward. You will get through this as long as you refuse to give up and continue to keep working on yourself. I have carved out time in every day to self reflect and take a look at myself and my life and continue to tweek my plan. Slowly but surely everything is starting to fall into place, and I know it will for you to!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mizzuno: "I am not in the drivers seat of life. Let life do what it does and stay sober."

This is helping me not spin and spin in regard to my own work stress.

I can only do what I am able to do, within the bounds of what is reasonable and logical. The rest of life I need to be ok with going along for the ride, even when its bumpy and frightening.

Alcohol was such a way to control things.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this--do you think this was based just on the 11 days, or is it the culmination of the past drinking impacting you performance for a long time, and then the tough withdrawal / recovery?

I know for me, my work was beginning to suffer when I quit, and in fact, that was one of the main reasons I stopped.

I ask this because one good outcome from all this is that you as a sober and healthy person will be an outstanding employee when all is said and done.
I agree with other posters to use this as an opportunity to grow and heal.

Whatever you do, don't drink over it. That's never going to improve the situation.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This identical situation occurred with me less than a month ago. I fortunately was able to move onto an even better gig in time to have a smooth transition but it was a pretty serious blow to my sense of self worth. I get it completely. During my early months of sobriety (6 months now) I struggled with the same anxiety and distractability; I keep saying that I'm not the sum of my failures and that this was something that I could develop more strength, resolve and resiliency from. It's OK to vent (hey, you made a great choice to come here right?) ..grieving is quite normal.

I hope you're able to draw that strength and HOPE from this situation and look at it for what it really is...a season that's changing for a better future.

I know that sounds cliche and all but just try to stay on the path here...no detour will get you to where you need to be

Sending ya grace and peace today...

T.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Lost a job when I was six weeks sober. I had been on sick leave and returned to find I was fired and all my stuff had been stolen from my locker. One door closed, another one opened. I ended up in a much better job a few days later.

I was working the AA program and it never occurred to me to drink. I have learned that these external things have nothing to do with my alcoholism or whether I can recover from it.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Yes I was terminated also last week.

I know its a kick in the guts

However I had been physically ill for some time and drinking really heavily.

So in regards to my current position I will be taking some time to get a solid foundation for my sobriety before moving forward.

At least I will be prioritising my own wellbeing for a change, something my last job wast really conducive too.

Van the Dole Man (for a little while)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Frida - I do agree tho this may help you focus even more on your recovery.

Welcome to SR

D
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was fired last year. Drinking on the job. I would have fired me too. I wasn't well suited for the job though and didn't enjoy it. I think.being miserably hungover every day had something to do with it
Old 02-20-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Exactly the same thing happened to me. I was struggling at 9 months of sobriety and offered my resignation...my boss smiled and said "don't be silly". 2 weeks later he called me in to his office and fired me...with the same smile on his face

8 years later I have a new career that I love and will soon qualify as a Nurse. I'll never thank him but I'm glad it happened...it allowed me to let go of something that wasn't right for me and go find something that is

P
Old 02-21-2018, 01:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

FridaK,

Sorry about the job. Tough situations always create learning opportunities. A lot of good advice about the drinking. Stay strong and work on your sobriety. You will see that your HP created this for you. Bigger and better will come with work.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

maybe your better off?

I say this because My job gives me crippling anxiety. I dont want to get to far into it. but before i quit i had problems. Since I quit i've had problems. Lucky for my wallet they have yet to fire me.

I often think the sooner i get fired the sooner I can just move on to better things! greener pastures if you will.

In my case I keep looking but have yet to find anything so I keep trying to hang on to what i got.

But it really could be a blessing in disguise.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Did you love your job?

Were you suited to it?

Did you feel fulfilled in your work?

Do you feel that your financial compensation was adequate?

Did you have good work/life balance?

If the answers to any of the above questions is "No," this is an opportunity to do something different that will make you happier.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Supposedly my son is trying to stop drinking and is suffering extreme anxiety and depression at work and even at home. Reading these posts makes me wonder if it is from him trying to stop.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Quitting drinking would have been beneficial for me years before I stopped. I was too scared...couldn't let go until it was painful enough it became a necessity. I couldn't imagine life being any different until I absolutely HAD to make the decision and trust in the outcome. I did myself a lot of emotional damage in the meantime but things have worked out just fine.

Changing jobs would have been beneficial for me years before I did it. I was too scared...couldn't let go until it was painful enough it became a necessity. I couldn't imagine life being any different until I HAD to make the decision and trust in the outcome. I did myself a lot of emotional damage in the meantime but things have worked out just fine.

Alcoholics can be stubborn, fearful of change and resistant to the last...but the greatest gift I ever got given was the crisis (alcoholism) that forced me to learn how to change

P
Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Love this -- Mizzuno: "I am not in the drivers seat of life. Let life do what it does and stay sober."

What I find is that when I try to drive, I just get lost.

Times like these we need to have faith and trust that it will all be OK.

And the funny thing I find is that when I have faith and trust, it all is OK.

BUT, only if I keep doing the next right thing. Don't drink. Do my stuff. Be on time. Pay my bills. Be nice to myself. Be good to others. ...

Faith and trust are things I have learned on this path, still not all the time, but more than before.

You will be fine.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Do you mean that your own fears around your mental capacities / performance forced you to resign? Or do you mean that your boss or someone forced the issue?

If it was the former and it's possible to un-resign, then please do. A lot of folk (me included) suffer from anxiety and being kinda muzzy headed in the early days of sobriety. But this is a transient phase and will pass if we work on our recovery.
Could you have a chat with your boss and explain that your resignation was driven by concerns about your perfirmance because you're not well at the moment (it's when we stop drinking that we first realise the hold that our dis-ease has over us). Often bosses would prefer to give someone some time to recover, or let them work reduced hours for a while rather than having to recruit.

This anxiety and washing-machine head can and will pass. I know it's scary while it's there, and feels so strong that we can't envisage ever being free of it, but that's just another lie that our addiction tells us in the hope that we'll given up on all this sobriety-nonsense and just take a drink so we can get back to 'normal' (because in our muzzy-headedness we can forget that that 'normal' was why we wanted to get sober in the first place).

Even if you can't do anything g about your resignation and retract it, please be assured that this stage WILL pass. And the more you commit yourself to working on your recovery the quicker it will do that. (Note:Sobriety is not the same as Recovery. Recovery is the work we do which makes sobriety bearable, sustainable, and some day preferable to drinking. One example of this is the AA 12-step recovery program. )

BB