Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

For people that have experience with antidepressants.

Notices

For people that have experience with antidepressants.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I've been on anti-depressants about a year..
Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Citalopram 30mg for almost 21 years was drinking consistently for the same length of time, don't think they've ever been able to do the job they we're meant to, I'm sober now so time will tell 🤗🤗
Old 02-09-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have been on Prozac for years. For me, it's a wonder drug and has eliminated panic attacks. When I got sober 35 years ago, there were no SSRI drugs. I had terrible anxiety during my drinking years and I would self-medicate with alcohol.
Vicious cycle.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I've thought about antidepressants to take the edge off a stressful work environment but I assume this would mean a sort of sedative. And if one works well then two is even better. So for me it is best I don't start.
Antidepressants don't work this way. It's not like you take it and immediately feel something. After they build up in your system, you gradually start to feel better (if it's working for you!).

Sounds like you are referring to something like a benzo - Xanax, klonopin, etc. With those you feel an effect immediately - hence, they can be highly addictive.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

My wife can tell when i was lying about taking celexa., now I’m sober and take 10 mg dailty down from 20. My goal is to try to get off by mid year. I will taper to 5 mg soon and see if i am stable.

I
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I Had a short spell on citalopram a few years back. It took my doctor almost a year to talk me into it. I had two non alcoholic friends who went through depression at about the same time and we compared notes. We all had similar experience, essentially the pills numbed us out, took away our edge. You Know, the edge that keeps you safe. One became especially careless with his money. Another, with his property - he tried to give me some of his engineering tools which were worth a great deal of money. I became careless with my business. I went from stressing out, to not caring at all.

There was a woman doctor who said " you can't selectively numbe emotions" which meant in our case, pretty much everything got mumbed, good and bad. In a way we went from depression to total apathy. We all stopped taking it when we realised what was happening.

Just by chance after that experience, I became much more active in AA again,
paticularly working with others, and all issues of depression disappeared. That action actually accomplished what I hope the ADs would do.

Now I wonder also if the doctor was right. If it was the spiritual malady returning, it would have much the same symptoms. I alos stumbled on soem research recently which stated roughly 82 percent of those in the trial did just as well on the placebo as they did on the real thing. It doesn't sound like this type of medication is governed by any kind of accurate science.
That’s what I’m worried about, do you remember what dose you were on?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

More experience here...I cashed a script for antidepressants for the first time ever when I was about 9 months sober. I have had 2 or 3 spells since on Sertraline, low to medium dose over the course of 8 years...6 to 18 months duration each time.

There have been times where it felt like stabilizers on the bike. Antidepressants gave me the stable base that allowed me to get out of bed and do the various other things that have been good for me...12 step recovery, spells of counselling, work, volunteering, living life...There have also been times where it felt like they took just too much of the edge off...and perhaps I wasn't feeling and working through emotions as I needed to.

If I were struggling enough in future I would go back on antidepressants in a heartbeat. But if I can cope without I will. 8/9 years down the road my moods and temperament are much more stable.

Regarding SSRI medication and potential for addiction...I spoke openly with my doctor about history with booze and specifically said I didn't want anything physically addictive and they will always be mindful of that when prescribing. However these things can still become a psychological or emotional dependence.

I remember going to my doc after 12 months of my first spell on Sertraline. I was expecting a standard review and to be issued a new prescription. The first thing my doc said was "So...you've been on these quite a while now..." My heart jumped to my throat. He hadn't said but I suddenly panicked he would start to talk about reducing the dose and taking me off them. My thoughts raced to..."How will I cope? What if I go back tobstrugglimg to sleep? What if I can't get up for work?" I was suddenly half tempted to exaggerate my symptoms...to go from saying "I feel pretty good" to "gee I still feel pretty bad" ...simply because I was afraid.

I realized this is what they mean when they say SSRIs can be psychologically addictive...that we can become dependant on them.

So in short...I work closely with the professionals and get guidance from people around me. The 2 things I'm likely to get wrong are being stubborn and not seeking help when I need It, or worrying/trying to self medicate when I don't.

P
Old 02-09-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I take amitriptyline which is an 'older' antidepressant. I tried a couple of others before that which didn't work for me. I had been depressed for decades before I started taking the AD and drinking was an attempt at self-medication. I had to get sorted with the AD before I could begin recovery. For me, it levels the playing field. That's all, but that's more than enough, after struggling for years with depression.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
That’s what I’m worried about, do you remember what dose you were on?
A reminder that we can share experience, but individualized questions about dosage or specific prescription information is something you need to seek from a medical professional.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I suffered from chronic clinical depression for many years before I got sober and for quite a few afterward.

I have been taking Paxil now for almost 19 years and it has resolved my depression problem.

Sometimes I take a little less than prescribed and sometimes a little more (during high stress periods), all with the acquiescence of my psychiatrist.

If I have a problem that a pill will fix, it's no problem at all.

I suffered needlessly for over 10 years after getting sober, because I was afraid that AD's could lead me back to alcohol.

I was mistaken, and I suffered when the answer was a phone call and a doctor visit away.

I don't make that mistake anymore.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I’ve been on several different ADs. I’m currently on Prozac and it works very well for my anxiety and depression. I was scared to start them too, but it all turned out alright (even the ones that didn’t work for me/ had negative side effects.)

I hope that some of these responses don’t keep you from trying something that could be beneficial to you. Work with and be open with your doctor They have heard it all before.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icoi87 View Post
I’ve been on several different ADs. I’m currently on Prozac and it works very well for my anxiety and depression. I was scared to start them too, but it all turned out alright (even the ones that didn’t work for me/ had negative side effects.)

I hope that some of these responses don’t keep you from trying something that could be beneficial to you. Work with and be open with your doctor They have heard it all before.
As was mentioned by others it is important to inform your doctor you are an alcoholic. My mother breaks her wrist and is given a small bottle of Vicodin. It's still on her kitchen table two years later half full.

Me? Not to sure if that would be the case. I get headaches you see. I sometimes wake up with my neck and back hurting. I'm not getting any younger you know.

Last year around this time I went to the doctor because my cough wasn't going away. I was told I needed some antibiotics and given a bottle of cough medicine. No alcohol but the cough syrup was stronger than what I buy at the store.

Need to be careful about any kind of medicine I take.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
A reminder that we can share experience, but individualized questions about dosage or specific prescription information is something you need to seek from a medical professional.
I’m sorry.. I didn’t realize.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:18 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by icoi87 View Post

Thank you
I’m been pretty open and honest with my doctor and she thinks I need the medication. My anxiety is pretty bad and I struggle with depression as well. I guess I was just nervous about being tired and feeling “numb” to emotion. I have 3 small children and I guess I was mostly worried that it would take away the emotion I have for them.. they are really all that keeps me going at this point.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:35 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Sickinlove! 40mg Citalopram here and 6 months sober.
I've battled anxiety and depression for years. It was the reason my drinking got out of control really.
I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of taking an AD. I can be very volatile emotion-wise and it's just horrible. Now that I'm sober and actually taking them every day I am much more even. Yes it does cut off the extremities of my emotions but that's what I need. I still adore my girls, still cry at soppy movies, still get adrenaline rushes.
But that sick to the pit of my stomach anxiety isn't there, the dark hopeless thought aren't there.
Sobriety or medication? Bit of both probably.
Talk further with your doctor if your worries are preventing you take the pills.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Hey Sickinlove! 40mg Citalopram here and 6 months sober.
I've battled anxiety and depression for years. It was the reason my drinking got out of control really.
I have no problem whatsoever with the concept of taking an AD. I can be very volatile emotion-wise and it's just horrible. Now that I'm sober and actually taking them every day I am much more even. Yes it does cut off the extremities of my emotions but that's what I need. I still adore my girls, still cry at soppy movies, still get adrenaline rushes.
But that sick to the pit of my stomach anxiety isn't there, the dark hopeless thought aren't there.
Sobriety or medication? Bit of both probably.
Talk further with your doctor if your worries are preventing you take the pills.
Pretty much the same here. I've been on 20mg citalopram for almost 2 years, sober for over 4 months. Emotions definitely blunted, find it tricky to cry at times, but still experience positive emotions. I'll take that over the mess I was in before, sobbing in front of my two young kids.
I'll keep taking it until I'm ready to come off. Been on therapy course to help with anxiety too.
X
Old 02-10-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have a lot of experience with anti-D's. Both because of my line of work and on a personal basis. I take Cymbalta for osteo pain, but I'm getting a "two-fer" in that it also helps me with being slightly depressed. I think perhaps my chronic osteo pain has contributed to some depression because when we are dealing with pain on an almost constant basis we can deplete some of the neurotransmitters. This is just my experience.

I don't think there is any blanket answer as to if you should take them or not. Each person is different....looking at the various answers here, you get a look at just how different everyone is. Some are pro; some are con, some are in between.

I will say that a lot of folks self-treat depression with alcohol. Take the alcohol away, and there still may be some depression that needs to be treated. I tend to be pro meds because I've seen how much they help people. But, that's just me. You gotta do what's right for you. If you don't like the idea of being "medicated", that's your prerogative....talk it over with your Dr. and keep looking for answers until you find them. Don't give up, in other words. IMO, there is no shame in being medicated.

There is still in 2018 a lot of stigma with mental illness. I hope that changes, I really do.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

there's no reason alcohol would technically stop an SSRI from working and doing its job of retaining more serotonin in the brain. there's no real technical correlation. it's just that ssri's are far more subtle then alcohol so too much drinking could make the effects not noticeable because your either drunk or hungover all the time. doctors might just say it won't work because they think its not a good idea for a depressive to be drinking, anyway, which i agree with
Old 02-10-2018, 11:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm on effexer. It was a piece of my road to recovery. While taking it my urge to drink went way down until i realized it been a month with no booze.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stride34 View Post
there's no reason alcohol would technically stop an SSRI from working and doing its job of retaining more serotonin in the brain. there's no real technical correlation. it's just that ssri's are far more subtle then alcohol so too much drinking could make the effects not noticeable because your either drunk or hungover all the time. doctors might just say it won't work because they think its not a good idea for a depressive to be drinking, anyway, which i agree with
The point is in fact that drinking heavily completely counteracts and undoes any effect that an antidepressant might have. Alcohol is a mood altering substance, it targets the central nervous system and at heavy doses is likely to make you much more depressed regardless of whatever else you take.

That'sthe main reason why most doctors would suggest not drinking at all. Antidepressants are not proven to have any useful effect whatsoever when combined with heavy alcohol use, but the heavy alcohol use itself is proven to have a negative effect on mood and mental health.