Notices

My AV is still out to play

Old 02-08-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I love this "are you just doing weight training/crossfit"?

Shows the difference in perspective, I am like she is doing weight training and cross fit -- I cannot even begin to imagine.

You guys and gals are amazing, both of yooz.

I think its about acceptance, you have just given up the thing that was your reward, your pleasure centre, your excitement, your sympathy support -- everything.

You now have this big hole to fill and are doing a great job at filling it with great things for the most part -- a little sugar aint going to kill you. But it does mean you will not lose the weight for a while. But you will when you are ready. But first things first.

I remember my girlfriends telling me they smoked to stay thin, really ... I mean really...

Acceptance.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Haha. Yeah, I'm "just" doing cross fit, but I'm sugar addicted enough that if you told me adding in cardio would mean I could keep eating sweets, I'd do it.

Dropsie, thanks for the support. It's mainly that the gain pattern is continuing....not that I've gained. I can deal with some extra juiciness especially since I work out so much it doesn't look bad. My waist hasn't gotten bigger which is interesting. Its that I keep gaining. And over time, that can become a real problem, enough to derail all workouts and affect my coping in sobriety.

In fact during Cross fit yesterday there was two miles of running interpersed with all the weightlifting and my leg tightened up....I know from experience its sugar and weight gain that does this.

Any way. I guess ill address it now. No time like the present, right?
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Haha. Yeah, I'm "just" doing cross fit, but I'm sugar addicted enough that if you told me adding in cardio would mean I could keep eating sweets, I'd do it.

Dropsie, thanks for the support. It's mainly that the gain pattern is continuing....not that I've gained. I can deal with some extra juiciness especially since I work out so much it doesn't look bad. My waist hasn't gotten bigger which is interesting. Its that I keep gaining. And over time, that can become a real problem, enough to derail all workouts and affect my coping in sobriety.

In fact during Cross fit yesterday there was two miles of running interpersed with all the weightlifting and my leg tightened up....I know from experience its sugar and weight gain that does this.

Any way. I guess ill address it now. No time like the present, right?
Yeah sorry I didn't mean it as "just Crossfit" I was half asleep (still getting used to that part of this ride) I should have said any LISS cardio.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nesta0601 View Post
Yeah sorry I didn't mean it as "just Crossfit" I was half asleep (still getting used to that part of this ride) I should have said any LISS cardio.

in my experience, unfortunately, I still gain eating what I want. Ex-marathon runner, here....

Now that the tapeworm effect of alcohol is no longer an option, I simply must deal with it.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You guys are amazing!
Old 02-08-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

The main thing is your not killing yourself with poison. You have to give this time ss. Go look in the mirror again. Your looking at someone surviving a deadly disease known as alcoholism. Your looking at a winner. That extra weight should be the furthest thing from your mind. Right now your fighting for your life. Just stay the course and work your plan. Get the good times of alcohol out of your mind. Thats a joke for us. It's over ss. It's a full blown disease now. Stick to your goals, the rest will follow.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
The main thing is your not killing yourself with poison. You have to give this time ss. Go look in the mirror again. Your looking at someone surviving a deadly disease known as alcoholism. Your looking at a winner. That extra weight should be the furthest thing from your mind. Right now your fighting for your life. Just stay the course and work your plan. Get the good times of alcohol out of your mind. Thats a joke for us. It's over ss. It's a full blown disease now. Stick to your goals, the rest will follow.
thanks Wayne. You're right. Like Scott says the extra weight is there because I am an alcoholic and we have to learn to eat properly after quitting. Its there because I haven't learned what it means to be healthy and relearning all these patterns takes time. But the most important is not drinking. Allowing all the other things to be more important especially in this first year is not smart.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
in my experience, unfortunately, I still gain eating what I want. Ex-marathon runner, here....
That's awesome (the marathon running) I'm wanting to run one. I went nuts at the Adidas store today getting soccer and running stuff. I've done 5/10ks and wanting to actually do the whole 26.2 is one of the goals I have put on my calendar for part of this journey.

But Wayne is right goal #1 is sobriety and everything after that is just gravy on top of it.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jogging/running is really helpful!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Running burns my knees out after mile 2 to 3 now. No knee problems in cross fit.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Perhaps step away from the scale for a while?

(seems to be a bit crazy-making!)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm going to (once again) suggest you find a calorie tracking website and start doing that. It will help with macros and you'll feel like there is some small amount of control. I've been on Myfitnesspal for many years and there are lots of threads solely devoted to your type of complaints - with lots of great solutions. Keeping track of my food is empowering and good for me and I'm still at a stable weight...and I had six months of eat-all-the-carbsy-sugary-things in new sobriety.

Also maybe make this about gains/successes in Crossfit i.e. setting goals other than your body weight. If your waist measurement hasn't changed, that's something to celebrate.

This is all about anxiety, and I had to find healthy ways to shut that down. There are plenty of threads about that. Have you spent any time in the Anxiety forums here? Read the stickies and then work your way down.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

All I can say is I feel your pain. I am a slave to sugar at the mo but not ready to give it up even though I know I can (well limit it, not quit!) I lost 50lbs in weight while drinking and now that I've quit it is creeping back on, but I'm just about stabilising it. I still limit portion size, eat good stuff otherwise...it is just the sugar demon!!

One thing at a time...
Old 02-10-2018, 02:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I'm going to (once again) suggest you find a calorie tracking website and start doing that. It will help with macros and you'll feel like there is some small amount of control. I've been on Myfitnesspal for many years and there are lots of threads solely devoted to your type of complaints - with lots of great solutions. Keeping track of my food is empowering and good for me and I'm still at a stable weight...and I had six months of eat-all-the-carbsy-sugary-things in new sobriety.

Also maybe make this about gains/successes in Crossfit i.e. setting goals other than your body weight. If your waist measurement hasn't changed, that's something to celebrate.

This is all about anxiety, and I had to find healthy ways to shut that down. There are plenty of threads about that. Have you spent any time in the Anxiety forums here? Read the stickies and then work your way down.

check check and check.

I am now on lose it with a friend of mine. Day two of tracking which is easy because i started the food addicts plan yesterday morning. It is a meal timed controlled calorie gluten free plan. I already feel physically better.

You are right about focusing on fitness.

You are also right about the anxiety.....I had planned to stop all workouts this weekend to make the whole weekend a commitment to the food plan and tracking, but I developed quite the episode of jumpiness and anxiety so I did add cross fit this morning. Still on the food plan, at least until I am no longer overweight, then I will re evaluate things... Like chocolate on Easter.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

(((Sassy))) I'm right there with ya!
Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sassy,
Have you considered using body fat% as a guide rather that just weight? If you are going hard at Crossfit, you may have added a few pounds of muscle, which actually is a good thing (except maybe in supermodel land, lol).
Old 02-11-2018, 08:11 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Food tracking... it doesn't have to be a career. I am one who will never give up sugary treats (like chocolate) forever...and it isn't like alcohol: I can in fact have chocolate once or twice a week. I don't have to food-Nazi myself and try to be an all-or-nothing person when it comes to treats.

I do treat them as Special Foods, though. Not every-day-foods. For every day desserts I have Greek yogurt with homemade applesauce and walnuts or with blueberries and strawberries and almonds; or an orange or apple or some other seasonal fruit. On the weekend I'll have some actual dessert thing like ice cream or specialty chocolates. I have to have some healthy boundaries, but I don't have to be as afraid of chocolate as I am alcohol. I don't have to 100% abstain forever and ever Amen.

That kind of black and white thinking is, "alcoholic" to me. AV, if you will. Fear-based.

Just a musing this morning.

...it takes me five minutes a day to log food. I eat whatever I want as long as it's mostly plants, some protein, and fats in healthy proportions. I watch my macros and my micros.

Nothing is off-limits, but some foods are every-once-in-a-while.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Sassy,
Have you considered using body fat% as a guide rather that just weight? If you are going hard at Crossfit, you may have added a few pounds of muscle, which actually is a good thing (except maybe in supermodel land, lol).
hey mac yeah, I've actually considered that, though I think letting the mirror, my jeans, and my strength gains at the gym be my guide works as well. It would help keep my fixation off the scale though!

I've seen some women at the gym who have done years of cross fit, and I'd be just fine with that body composition. Arms are more built up of course but it's so obviously muscle. And it does such amazing things in real life!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Food tracking... it doesn't have to be a career. I am one who will never give up sugary treats (like chocolate) forever...and it isn't like alcohol: I can in fact have chocolate once or twice a week. I don't have to food-Nazi myself and try to be an all-or-nothing person when it comes to treats.

I do treat them as Special Foods, though. Not every-day-foods. For every day desserts I have Greek yogurt with homemade applesauce and walnuts or with blueberries and strawberries and almonds; or an orange or apple or some other seasonal fruit. On the weekend I'll have some actual dessert thing like ice cream or specialty chocolates. I have to have some healthy boundaries, but I don't have to be as afraid of chocolate as I am alcohol. I don't have to 100% abstain forever and ever Amen.

That kind of black and white thinking is, "alcoholic" to me. AV, if you will. Fear-based.

Just a musing this morning.

...it takes me five minutes a day to log food. I eat whatever I want as long as it's mostly plants, some protein, and fats in healthy proportions. I watch my macros and my micros.

Nothing is off-limits, but some foods are every-once-in-a-while.

your post is so appreciated. Because my weight is already trending where it should and Easter is only 49 days away. There's an awesome sweet bread I want to make! I'm keeping things so structured and tracking everything. The upside is that the rest of the family is now getting these really nice wholesome complete meals...

If I could maintain a healthy weight but still eat fun sometimes I'd feel like I had it all, especially with sobriety in my pocket.

my other thinking was...even if a food indulgence did translate to some weight gain, it sure doesn't have the dangerous and destructive quality that alcohol does, unless a person is seriously anorexic, bulimic, or dangerously overweight. None of which applies to me.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Believe me, I've spent enough of my one precious lifetime beating myself up for not doing everything perfectly. "Perfectly" according to what?

Enough already. I'm done with the self-flagellation. I get to have special things on occasion and I don't have to label my food as good or bad. It's not a moral decision.