Notices

Anxiety and body aches

Old 02-01-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety and body aches

Today I have severe anxiety/light headed and I have to go to the store sometime!! I知 also experiencing pain, it痴 like every little ache and pain in my body is amplified 10 times. I知 a little over a week out of inpatient detox...Anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anxiety is very common in the early days, yes. Having said that, if it's causing you physical pain, don't rule out seeing a doctor just to confirm that it's not a physical problem.

I personally dealt with health anxiety even months after getting sober and it would manifest as physical symptoms. I needed to address it as a separate and distinct issue through a counselor, and I'm very glad I did as it's much more manageable now.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, I am still finding my pain tolerance is extremely low. Its like all my nerves are exposed. Its exhausting. I had this the last time I quit too for a few months. I had severe anxiety that time too. It was better by the 3 month mark. Unfortunately I have drank a few times since and it has reactivated these problems. I am back to day 13......
Hope this eases up for you soon.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a powerful anaesthetic. People used it for centuries during surgery or for chronic pain .

Yes you will feel aches and pains now, but that's not a bad thing or reason to be concerned. I think your anxiety is making it worse. Hang in there. Try some exercise, or go see a doctor for reassurance.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The anxiety has let up for now anyways. I made it to the store and back, I was racing through the store like a mad man. Then 3 things on my grocery list were in the same aisle as the liquor I managed to get my things and get out but damn it was hard not to look at all the bottles of alcohol in that aisle. Now I知 sitting here with icy hot and a heating pad because I知 still having muscle pains in my arms and shoulders from the bad fall I had while on a bender a few weeks back. Thinking maybe I need to call my doctor.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

On top of the anxiety I had a bad case of paranoia like something bad was getting ready to happen but what I do not know.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
On top of the anxiety I had a bad case of paranoia like something bad was getting ready to happen but what I do not know.
those are also common early sobriety feelings. It can be tough. Hang in there.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Harley1973 View Post
Actually, Paranoia, Panic and Anxiety are all very closely related and could be categorized as the same thing. Have you ever considered talking to a counselor/therapist about these feelings by chance?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i experience the same thing when I detox. Muscle aches, anxiety, etc.. It does get better. Dehydration does that alot too. Gatorades/powerades help too with electolytes/dehydration. Stress also contributes to physical well being. I have felt all of these things. You will get through this!!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes! I'm on month two of alcohol sobriety and actually just posted about this. I'm experiencing muscle aches,pains,spasms, cramps, lightheadedness the works! I honestly don't know if it's my health anxiety or my body trying to stabilize from the years of abuse. I've had all the lab and test, and all is clear so far. All i can tell you is, DON'T google your symptoms if you start to become concerned. Just talked to your Doc.