Notices

How do I manage things while in rehab?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I manage things while in rehab?

I need to start by saying I have no help from outside. I've burned every bridge but I have to move forward.

I'll be going to rehab in less than a week.

How have others managed paying bills while in treatment? Electric, water, auto and so on. I won't have access to a computer or my phone, etc.

What other things am I not thinking of that need to be considered while I'm out of pocket for a month or more? The facility isn't determined yet, but as soon as I get that info I plan to ask them as well, but thought I'd see if there was any advice here.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe someone from work? Perhaps contact the utility companies and ask about paying in advance if possible.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Almost everyplace has auto-pay now. Call and set up or set it up online. I pay most of my bills that way. I could pay them all that way if I wanted.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the reply. No one from work, but I didn't think about advance payments. I don't have the funds to make advance payments right now but I'll still have income hitting my account so maybe I can try to do something like a post dated payment. Can't hurt to ask I guess.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bimini, I have auto pay set up where I can but my setting is very rural and several providers don't give that option. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'll check to see if any of the ones that didn't offer it before have updated and have it as an option now.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

I second what bimini said. When I went to rehab, I set up auto-draft for all my bills. I was allowed to make phone calls on a prepaid card during certain times of the day and paid a couple bills by phone. This was during a 2-month stay in rehab.

Best wishes to you.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Moving forward. Welcome back.

The facility isn't determined yet,
Start there. When you are talking with the facility ask them about this. Pretty much everyone has bills to pay so I would think most places will accommodate this. I online pay all my bills through my bank. When I was in rehab my counselor allowed me to log in using her computer and I paid my bills. I would recommend putting your account numbers and passwords in your phone....usually a counselor can allow you access to your phone during this bill paying time. I mean, you haven't determined the facility, so you actually don't know what their policies will be. Many places have computers that, with a counselors sign off, the clients get access to. Any special needs that you have (diet for example) determine that before you go.

I hope you do this Moving. It is easy to allow 'rules' and 'policies' of rehabs to become reasons to not go. Ya just gotta do it.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by MovingForward1 View Post
Bimini, I have auto pay set up where I can but my setting is very rural and several providers don't give that option. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'll check to see if any of the ones that didn't offer it before have updated and have it as an option now.
Another option is to talk to your bank. Just about every bank I know of has a "bill pay" option where they schedule all your payments for you and either pay them electronically or even mail a physical check if the payee cannot accept online payments.

But I would second fricakflips suggestion to work with the intake/business folks at whatever rehab you end up going to - they likely deal with all the questions you are asking on a regular basis. This is a great thing you are doing for yourself and there's always a way to get the details taken care of.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I did what Frickaflip said. I took my cell phone and ipod with me and let my counselor know when I had to pay bills. Someone sat with me and it was no big deal...
Old 01-30-2018, 05:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rehabs must be different in Australia, I can take my iPad and mobile to use in my down time. That said, if your rehab doesn’t allow electronics then I’m sure you could ask to use a computer there to pay your bills?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ditto to what everyone else has suggested. I knew a few people who were admitted that were in very similar circumstances, and our counselors and other staff were quite willing to assist with logistics such as access to a computer and suggest means to have those items addressed while you're there.

Rehab was a life changing experience for me. I hope you're able to take advantage of that opportunity as well Keep us posted...
Old 01-30-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the replies. I should know by tomorrow which place(s) are approved and I'll be sure to use these suggestions to manage things while I'm away.

I'm glad I reached out, I wouldn't have used this as an excuse not to go but it was a huge anxiety weighing on me. Feeling better about it now.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My husband and inlaws intervened on
me 27 yrs ago by calling for help and
placing me into the hands of those knowledgeable
and capable of teaching me about my
addiction and giving me the gift of a
recovery program to incorporate and
live my life by each day I remained sober.

When i was taken away from my little
family, i handed over all my responsibilities I
had and felt helpless. Things happened
so quickly that very day that I didn't have
the luxury of preparing or organizing like
I may have wanted to.

I was plucked from my little environment,
away from my comfort zone, my 2 babies,
home, car, responsibilities and there was
nothing I could do but..... Let Go.

As I realize today, i needed to be in rehab
in order to save my life. Not by choice at
the time because i was sick in heart, mind
and soul. Sick in my alcohol addiction.

Once i entered rehab I had to accept
the fact that i no longer had any control
over the situation and that my family
was doing for me, getting me help when
I couldn't do it by myself.

Reflecting back on that dark time in
my life, i now can see clearly that I was
given a second chance in life. To listen,
learn, absorb and apply some important
information, knowledge about addiction
and its affects on my own mind, body and
soul and those around me.

The gift of a recovery program which
would become my guideline to live my
life upon to achieve health, happiness
and honest as i move forward in my life.

I spent 28 days in rehab with a 6 week
outpatient aftercare program attached
before completing my rehab experience.
During that time, my little family survived
without missing a beat. Sure there was
some inconveniences but no one died.

Take this time to learn all you can
to get healthy and leave the worries
of the world outside the doors because
it will all be there once you return. In
the meantime, learn a recovery program
to use as your guideline to apply to
your everyday life building a strong,
solid foundation to live your life upon.

Your sober journey is just beginning.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The facility has dealt with people in your situation before. I was in that same situation myself. And I had two dogs I'd be leaving behind who needed care, too. THAT was hard, walking away from them for 28 days (turned out all I needed was 21).

Just inform the facility. Write down the phone numbers, or if you have them bring a past bill from those places. Helpful to know what your account number for your bank is, example - my electric bill can be paid via phone transfer right from my account.

Or take a laptop, if you use your cell phone to pay bills, bring it and I have no doubt you'll be allowed to use them to make those transactions.

Enjoy rehab!!! I did.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

An old-fashioned response might be to take some pre-addressed stamped envelopes and checks pre-made for an estimated amount which you send when funds are deposited.

Well done getting treatment. A way will be found