SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   2 weeks sober and a week out of detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/422646-2-weeks-sober-week-out-detox.html)

Harley1973 01-29-2018 08:43 AM

2 weeks sober and a week out of detox

Well I’m 2 weeks sober and a week out of inpatient detox. Yesterday I felt absolutely amazing, I did all kinds of chores around the house that needed done and actually had the energy and motivation to do them. Today I’m totally depressed and have no energy and I’m thinking about the drink again, I’m not going to drink but I have been having these fleeting thoughts about it. It seems like every other day is I’ll have a good day.

ChloeRose63 01-29-2018 08:48 AM

You have to push thru those feelings. It is you AV trying to convince you to go back to your old ways. What is your recovery plan in times like these?

biminiblue 01-29-2018 09:02 AM

All feelings pass, good ones and bad ones.

Did you get to that meeting? Isn't it today? hm. Well you said noon on Monday and it's noon on Monday, so I guess not.

Too bad, it would have helped. Look up the next one!

Harley1973 01-29-2018 09:04 AM

The only thing I do on days like this is read this forum and read the personal stories in the big book. I will literally be doing this until 11 tonight when I go to bed. I’ve been doing this every other day since I’ve gotten out of detox.

Harley1973 01-29-2018 09:06 AM

biminiblue, I know the meeting is now. It’s just one of those bad days where I have no energy and just feel extremely depressed.

biminiblue 01-29-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Harley1973 (Post 6765298)
biminiblue, I know the meeting is now. It’s just one of those bad days where I have no energy and just feel extremely depressed.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but meetings are set up to help fight that. I would go so far as to say that is the day you need it the most. That's where you find coping tools and strategies to overcome all this.

Reading on here is good, too. I think the more you throw at this, the better the chances.

Mac4711 01-29-2018 10:35 AM

That’s early recovery for you, it’s VERY tedious - just focus on putting one foot in front of the other, until you reach the other side.
Going to meetings helps, posting here, reading up on the disease, in that order. I’m looking at where I was in my life last July and where I am now and there’s simply no comparison. Please keep on marching, it is so worth it!

Harley1973 01-29-2018 02:16 PM

Finally getting some energy but now it’s after 5 pm. Got through the day sober. Don’t know why I had 8 hours of depression and exhaustion after feeling so awesome yesterday. For a week now every other day is bad. If the pattern continues to hold true tomorrow should be good!!

ChloeRose63 01-29-2018 02:39 PM

Tomorrow will be a better day! Just get some rest and take it step by step. You are doing fine! ODAAT :)

Stayingsassy 01-29-2018 03:17 PM

Early sobriety is a suckfest. Until it just isn't, any more.

So many relapsers here just didn't take the time to walk through the suckfest until it ended.

I vented plenty on here during my torture chamber of a suckfest, but I'm now on the other side for the most part.

Hang. In. There.

tomsteve 01-29-2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Harley1973 (Post 6765298)

the BEST time for you to go to a meeting.
the BEST time for you to call someone in the program.
the BEST time for you to pray.

there were 2 BEST times for me to go to a meeting in early recovery:
- when i wanted to and when i didnt want to.

if you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to ANY lengths to get it....

bigsombrero 01-29-2018 06:13 PM

The first few weeks (out of rehab / detox and on your own again) are very, very hard. I'm not an AA person but I tried really hard in the early goings to find a meeting - even if I just sat there silently. I never wanted to go, but I made myself, because that's part of recovery, ain't it? Doing things you don't want to do. Being a grown up. Taking responsibility for yourself. Doing the right thing.

You're a real trooper for getting through these early days, congrats! But moping around the house...idle hands, etc. Get out there and do something different. Take a walk, drive to a nature preserve, go to a movie by yourself. Just get out of the pattern.

Mac4711 01-29-2018 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Harley1973 (Post 6765655)
Finally getting some energy but now it’s after 5 pm. Got through the day sober. Don’t know why I had 8 hours of depression and exhaustion after feeling so awesome yesterday. For a week now every other day is bad. If the pattern continues to hold true tomorrow should be good!!

‘When going though hell, keep going!’

least 01-29-2018 07:59 PM

Early recovery can be a bumpy ride, for sure. Hang in there and don't drink no matter what! It will get better, but only if you stay sober. :)

SpankedbyLife 01-29-2018 10:29 PM

Congrats and keep at it!

Stronger2017 01-30-2018 12:17 AM

I’m glad you made it through. long walks help me a lot when I feel out of sorts. Best of luck🙂

Mtphc 01-30-2018 12:42 AM

For me eating healthy meals has been helping me a lot. I try not having an empty stomach on days where I feel more susceptible, kind of helps keep my thoughts off alcohol

tomsteve 01-30-2018 05:53 AM

how goes it this morning,harley?

ChloeRose63 01-30-2018 05:55 AM

Thinking of you, harley.
Hope all is well:)

Ken0331 01-30-2018 07:25 AM

Yeah, like said here already, when you feel your worst and really don't want to go is when you really need to reach out the most.

Go to a meeting. Call someone in the program from your AA phone list.

Some of the best meetings I went to were the ones when I said, "I just don't feel up to going today." Not that the meeting itself was anything extra-special, it just met me exactly where I was and I came away refreshed.

Early sobriety is a bitch. At 2 weeks your head still isn't in the right place yet. After your relapses you should know this about yourself by now. So get out of your head, take some positive action in getting better. Work your plan.