Notices

What I did to stay sober today

Old 02-28-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Vandermast, thanks for this thread, it's great. I spend way too much time in my own head with often bad results, so I'm trying to be more action oriented. It's nice to hear what others are doing. Yesterday I woke up with a lot of anxiety and guilt in my head. I got myself out of the house and went for a three hour walk in the woods, taking photos. It was so helpful to change my mindset.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey you guys I know its been a little while, ive had some stuff to sort out like :

working out how the hell I'm going to make restitution for a substantial amount of debt accrued as a result of my drunken sprees and neglecting financial responsibilities most people take for being normal part of life. for a drunkard like me they have taken a back seat in my endless pursuit of the bottle. not a unique problem for people like us but pressing none the less.

I have been having to consult with dr regularly due to liver issues, I had a bad bout of glandular fever towards the end of last year and it attacked my liver quite severely so that's why I have a focus on the raw juicing and liver friendly diet....im 42 years old and the idea of chirosis freaking terrifies me....so ive had to give this due attention.......

Then there has been the task of getting social security set up, so I have some means of financial subsistence.

and lastly getting admittance to an outpatient program that will give me added support in my daily efforts at sobriety which thankfully I am maintaining on an ongoing basis.

There has been a lot of really nice and supportive feedback here from you guys n gals about the action orientation of this thread...I am really glad that people are finding it useful and positive so I am grateful for this.

Please continue to add to this thread as you see fit....it really helps me as I am a good one for trying to think my way out of these dilemmas, however I am reminded of this saying an old rehab counsellor with years of recovery who had a really shocking relapse for years, got sober again and has remained so for 7 years again told me. his name was bobby and he was a delightful soul and he said " son, in the early days recovery is a full time job....so make it so"

henceforth my current occupation is full time recovering alcoholic.

thanks again and hope every one is doing ok....its really hard sometimes but worth it.

yours in solidarity

vandermast
Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Feeling your pain but I am sure you will make it! Turmeric, Valerian, black lentil stew, immerse yourself in cooking and exercise that does not need to be exhausting but something such as yoga, Pilates, doing some free weights or swimming if you can get to it. Watch mindless movies and surf the internet. Find creativity, it will come to you but not in a bottle.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

henceforth my current occupation is full time recovering alcoholic
The good thing about this, is you get to be selfish in a more healthy way.
You get to find those things that bring you joy and healthy happiness and immerse yourself in that to keep moving forward. Now you can expand your horizons. Have some lazy days to indulge. Be kind to yourself, don't go it alone, and try things out that make you smile or get you excited.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

so heres what I did to stay sober today:

woke up and was grateful for the fact I have a roof over my head.

organised to get my lawn mower repaired.

ate well and had raw vegetable juice times 3 and big does of thyamine and liver detox formula

went for 10 km bike ride and marvelled at nature.

ate a hamburger to spoil myself

watched the sun set

drank lots of coffee and lots of water

thanked the great spirit for another sober day

came on sr and told you guys about my day.....

hows other people staying sober lately????

thanks

v
Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Not a native English speaker

Hi. I'm on my 4th day, so I have a long journey in front of me.

I'm staying sober because I freaked out 4 days ago when I got the results of my blood tests. I'm on the verge of a stroke. How's that for motivation?

It shouldn't had gotten this far/bad...
Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post

I'm staying sober because I freaked out 4 days ago when I got the results of my blood tests. I'm on the verge of a stroke. How's that for motivation?

sometimes it takes that kind of motivation to get help dear sir

you are most welcome here

vandermast
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vandermast View Post
I am going to share this as an ongoing thread in the hope that it may help someone else as well as myself......so here is what I have done so far today to stay sober.......

raw juice yet again....always in the morning and non negotiable.

screamed into my pillow for a while this morning because the vulture on the end of the bed was awake before I was......

spending time with a special person who understands me is non judgemental and even laughs at the demented crap my alcoholic head can conjure....

organising some work for later in the week, and practising gratitude for the fact I still have a job......cos ive lost a few due to drinking or related complications.

played some guitar and listened to some good folk and punk rock.

if anyone would like to share what they have done to remain sober today it would be really useful for me, and by sharing we can help each other. by all means please add something.

thanks

Vandermast
Hi Fellow 6 string junkie! When I need an emotional lift, distraction or just plain get away, I put me on some good ol' rock from the 60's, country, bluegrass gospel, and play away! The guitar was instrumental (so to speak) in my recovery years ago
Old 03-20-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renegade2 View Post

Hi, glad you made it 4 days! As they say, we don't care how you got here, just as long as you get here. You can do it, you've already done 4 days. All you are asked to do is stay sober, today. Tomorrow, you can decide to do it again, and before you know it, you'll have 30 days, 6 months, a year, and you'll wonder why you would ever want to drink again. Keep it up, and don't quit before the miracle happens!
Old 03-21-2018, 05:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Vandermast,

Thanks for this thread.

XX
Old 03-22-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hers what I did today to stay sober:

kicked the vulture off the end of the bed because it was awake before me, stuffed it in the oven and turned it up and watched it cook ( I have an overactive imagination)

drank too much coffee

chainsmoked

played guitar and learnt two new songs.

went for a bike ride and flipped the bird to a motorist who cut me off.

didn't raw juice today but will tomorrow

ate well non the less

took great delight in my flatulence in public at the shopping centre....other didn't but hey life is short

checked out sr a few times

made it home safe with nothing in my blood except blood

it was a hard one though

v
Old 03-30-2018, 05:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

heres what I did to stay sober today:

Raw juicing/liver detox formula intake to support liver function and general wellbeing.

Spent time on SR as it is a vital lifeline to my ongoing well being on so many levels.

interacted with some one important to me in a sober and healthy way, as in being supportive and considerate of their needs, and putting them first for a change, thereby contributing to their wellness and security instead of compromising it through my destructive drinking.

Spent time with family and laughed.

Played blues Guitar for a few hours, working on this gives my soul joy.

Supported others on SR

Made it through the day head on pillow no booze involved.

Anyone who would like to share what they have done to stay sober on a given day please add to this thread, it really helps me and might help someone else.

Happy Easter All

Thanks

Vandermast
Old 03-30-2018, 05:55 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Spent too much time on SR.

Took a nice warm bath.

Did some stuff I didn't want to do but needed doing.

Forgave myself for not doing more.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Heres what I did today despite feeling really not good from post acute withdrawal:

went for a ride on my mountain bike and took in the sights and smells of the nature track

spent time on sr to gain some perspective on my recovery, some posts from a fellow sr user really helped in a way I did not expect, so thank you fellow recovering person!

sweated like a pig and showered frequently, god the stuff that comes out of me even after not having a drink for a couple of months is putrid, it stains bedsheets and stinks....thank the stars this stuff is leeching out of me.

took big dose of thyamine, and drank heaps of water

ate well and rested when the fog in my brain and my shortness of temper was driving me up the freaking wall.

Came back on sr and reported in.

going to the museum tomorrow to look at an exhibition of Egyptian artifacts provided my brain works

Cheers

V
Old 03-31-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Read a great article that Otter posted in another thread.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4553654/

Highly recommend.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Finished some overdue work.

Paid some overdue bills.

Its a work in progress.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

today I made the decision to go back to regular aa meetings.

I can feel myself being lured back towards a drink....and I have a tendency to isolate and not reach out for help at times.

my drinking has made me lose friends and any that I have left are drunkards like me, so if I am aiming to stay well I an associate with these people any more.

My immediate family have been most kind and supportive given my situation, and I am grateful for that, as have the folks on sr....it is easy to feel really alone and overwhelmed by the task of getting well....I am working with an outpatient counsellor as well so I figure going back to aa will be good for me, although it had been a long time.

they say the doors get narrower and I don't want them to shut permanently if you get my drift.

Thanks

Vandermast
Old 04-07-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

smart move vandermast

D
Old 04-08-2018, 01:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Good for you.

I had never heard that about the doors getting narrower, but I do know that F2F contact with others who walk in our shoes can be a great support.

xx
Old 04-22-2018, 06:19 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hi there everyone

heres what I am doing today to stay sober

woke up this morning gave thanks for another day free of booze although I am quite irritable and angry today....

have been doing some meditation and composing, I have an opportunity to play at some markets and earn a little cash income, good for the soul first and foremost, and good for the hip pocket also