Notices

Work not good for my recovery

Old 01-24-2018, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Work not good for my recovery

Hey guys

My work space is becoming toxic to my recovery, every other day I'm dealing with one of my colleagues being drunk at work and last week in pretty sure there was cocaine dropped all down my handbag and on the work surfaces where I eat my lunch (which I only noticed after eating lunch) I'm really struggling to keep my spirits up when I seem to be dealing with everyone else's alcohol/drug troubles as well as my own. Thinking I may have to change my work environment as over time I can imagine this will become very exhausting for me. I would say now though If anything it's put me off ever thinking about going back to drinking and living life like that again but it's distressing me especially thinking I could get accidentally high at work even eating my lunch, I did question the substance on my bag with the owner and I was told it was protein powder but then the next day he slipped up when still drunk from the night before that he had been taking cocaine the day before.

Looking at new places to work which will mean alot more hard work from myself as I'm self employed so I have to start over again but my recovery is too important to me now. Has anyone else changed work places for recovery reasons I don't know if I'm being dramatic?
Lpg
I just like to add I hope I don't sound like I'm being hypocritical or judgemental I'm not I'm just thinking about my recovery
Old 01-24-2018, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find new workplace better suited to your recovery.

For what its worth I think if it was coke they'd have made a major effort to clean it up/retrieve the powder, so I think I would actually go with protein powder on that one?

D
Old 01-25-2018, 12:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you can find new workplace better suited to your recovery.

For what its worth I think if it was coke they'd have made a major effort to clean it up/retrieve the powder, so I think I would actually go with protein powder on that one?

D
Yeah I think moving on will be the best option.

Yeah good point I'm going to tell myself that, I'm probably overthinking it and being paranoid I just don't want anything to make this my recovery more difficult. I feel like I'm being so anal about it but it means too much to me now.
Lpg
Old 01-25-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand your predicament! As I've posted before I work in a bar- I do some serving shifts and some bartending.. Getting sober in that environment has been quite the experience. At first I really didn't mind (maybe I was still vicariously getting my thrills?) but now it is actually starting to annoy me. Many of the regulars and even some employees are clearly in advanced stages of alcoholism, and although "seeing it from the other side" has had its own benefits, I have changed internally and I know my environment needs to reflect that.

There is also anything under the sun available and being passed around at work and luckily I haven't slipped with that either (aside from taking a few xanax, which I didn't consider to be breaking my sobriety since I legitimately get anxiety.. but I'm now seeing also has the potential for abuse and isn't all that different from what I was doing emotionally when I was drinking).

So anyway, just wanted to say I can relate and good luck with the hard work ahead of changing jobs!
Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Reverse Psych

Tough situation for you Lpg. I have been told that we need to be thoughtful in our People, Places and Things. Protect your sobriety. Unfortunately, I shrunk my world down to my couch - not so easy to get away from, lol. The very place I’m typing from right now. Only you can decide impact of changing jobs on your life. I also hope you can find one that protects and nurtures your sobriety.

My drug of choice is alcohol. If i spilled cocaine on your handbag, you had better believe that I would have licked your handbag clean!!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey LPG,

Sobriety is priority. But take this situation as a learning process. This work situation is showing you that you are only in control of yourself. What others say or do is their problem. Don't perceive their inconsiderate behavior and/or habits/addictions against you as purposely. If they are addicts, then they are as selfish as the rest of us. And if they aren't addicts, then they have no understanding the struggle we go through to get clean and sober. Pray for them and listen to your inner voice for guidance. You know what is the right action. You might be in this situation to help someone. Or you might be in it to show you how strong you are and your sobriety is your number one priority. IDK, I am just rambling on now.
Good luck LPG, I hope you find peace with whatever you choose to do.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lpg

Yeah totally and I am finding myself trying to offer some words of support. My biggest problem with it was coke was one of my huge things and when I seen what I thought was possibly coke my av took off first with no 1 thought 'hmm should I rub it on my gums to see if It is what I think it is' and thought no 2 'there's enough for a line there' I shut these thought down right away. I'd love to help someone I just don't think I'm strong enough yet. Maybe when I have a bit more time ony side.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not to be a psycho stalker, I went back in your posts to see what you do. I am seriously worried about my nonchalant attitude at my stylists now! If they are drunk or high LOL I go to a trendy salon now, thinking about finding an old lady one - but then I'll look like I go to an old lady salon LOL

I gave up a client when I quit smoking, she smoked in her office and her paperwork stunk. She's also a heavy drinker, so now I am glad I quit her. However, my firm is referral only, so me disengaging with a client, given my firm is a niche market, could seriously impact my future clientele. However, I needed to protect my quit. Despite the fact I relapsed when I quit drinking - moving on LOL But I am quit again and that's all that matters.

You have to protect your quit, but I know it is hard, before moving here, I followed my stylist for 15 years through a couple different salons and they all have their own personality. You can literally tell where someone gets their hair cut by the style and if that jives with you as a stylist, and that is your market segment, it can be really hard. Your clientele is your calling card, you can tell someone who goes to a high end salon, medium, mall cheapie or does their own colour in the tub at home LOL I love my stylist, and I want to see her in the salon I see her in, I like the vibe. So I totally see what you are saying, but you have to protect your quit.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Not to be a psycho stalker, I went back in your posts to see what you do. I am seriously worried about my nonchalant attitude at my stylists now! If they are drunk or high LOL I go to a trendy salon now, thinking about finding an old lady one - but then I'll look like I go to an old lady salon LOL

I gave up a client when I quit smoking, she smoked in her office and her paperwork stunk. She's also a heavy drinker, so now I am glad I quit her. However, my firm is referral only, so me disengaging with a client, given my firm is a niche market, could seriously impact my future clientele. However, I needed to protect my quit. Despite the fact I relapsed when I quit drinking - moving on LOL But I am quit again and that's all that matters.

You have to protect your quit, but I know it is hard, before moving here, I followed my stylist for 15 years through a couple different salons and they all have their own personality. You can literally tell where someone gets their hair cut by the style and if that jives with you as a stylist, and that is your market segment, it can be really hard. Your clientele is your calling card, you can tell someone who goes to a high end salon, medium, mall cheapie or does their own colour in the tub at home LOL I love my stylist, and I want to see her in the salon I see her in, I like the vibe. So I totally see what you are saying, but you have to protect your quit.
Haha funny I was talking to my mum about it and she said 'what is it with hairdressers' I can promise you not all hairstylists are the same so don't worry.
I just want to protect myself and my job I'm very passionate about my work and I think now I'm sober I'm using it as a focus. Although on the other side of the coin iv been there myself so I certainly don't want to sound judgemental but it's not where I am now and it's not a normal working environment.
I know I can't control all the things that go on in soberity and I need to be strong enough to handle whatever comes my way but I don't want my work to suffer because of it. This salon I work in now I have only been in for 1 year so its fairly new and I've had clients for 10 years follow me all over, adore my clients they are what make everything so worthwhile and we have fun. Hopefully they don't get peeved off with me moving again.
Lpg
Old 01-25-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes lpg I think you should start looking around for another job, especially if it's taking a toll on your recovery. I started a job this week after being at a place for 5 years. It was horrible the last few years.

I found my new job on indeed.com. I could've left my last job last year. I had a job lined up last year but chickened out due to fear of change and not wanting to start all over again.

It got to the point where this last job was so toxic that it was almost unbearable to go to work each day. But I did because I needed a pay check. I'm just so happy I'm finally out of that last job.

I see a therapist and every session for the last 2 years was about how awful my job was and the things that I had to go through. He encouraged me all the time to find something else. I called him up and told him I finally left that job and got a new one! We both celebrated!

You deserve to be happy and avoid stuff that's toxic to your recovery. Take your time and start looking. If you or someone else can post your resume on indeed.com your chances increase immensely! Just search what field you're looking for, your zip code, and tons of jobs will come up in your area. Apply online by posting your resume and you just might get a call or email for an interview!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

People drink at work? That can’t be easy on you! Not sure how they get away with it.
I think you should look for some alternatives if possible.
Work should be good for your recovery if you enjoy what you do, but that definitely sounds like it’s making it hard!