SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Job change in Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/422317-job-change-recovery.html)

uncle holmes 01-22-2018 04:18 AM

Job change in Recovery

I'm in the process of going through a job change. I have to go in for a physical this morning for this new job and I start tomorrow. After I get the physical I'm going to my current employer and telling them I got this new job. I've been with this current job for 5 years.

I had planned on giving a one week notice, but I'm so done with this place that it would've been too hard emotionally for me to stick it out another week.

When I first started this job 5 years ago, I was considered one of the best, hardest workers. I was grateful for that job at one time. Things changed over the years. The place is very toxic and they don't give raises and don't treat the employees very well.

Many of my co-workers are difficult to work with and I've had skirmishes with a handful of them. It's taken a toll on my peace of mind, emotionally, and my sobriety even though I've been sober for 25 years.

You get the picture. Basically I've got to get the heck out of there and should've done this at least a year ago but didn't due to fear of change and worrying about making the wrong move.

I've been looking on indeed.com the past year for jobs and finally found one that offered higher pay and even more hours for overtime. I'm feeling so excited right now but at the same time having much anxiety about going in there this morning and telling them I'm quitting today and starting a new job tomorrow.

MindfulMan 01-22-2018 06:58 AM

Good for you. Sounds very familiar actually!

Enjoy the new gig.

lola1987 01-22-2018 07:25 AM

Hello uncle holmes😀

I am actually in exactly the same predicament as you right now so I thought I must reply. I have been in my job for three years. I am sober a few months. My drinking wracked up due to my job and the stress of it. I am a childminder and to some there would seem no stress to this particular career. When in fact i find it extremely stressful. When I began my boss showed me the ropes. Drop offs collectings that sort of thing. Well that all ramped up pretty quickly. Soon I was going in to work at 7.00 am and not returning home until 8/9pm when I was only paid from 7-4pm. I never had the courage to speak out. I was doing the washing laundry 6school drop offs and collection to different schools daily all the house chores dinners after school clubs and so on I would be here all day explaining it. But I was so unhappy. Last week I found a new job. Today I told my boss I'm leaving that I cannot come back. So after tomorrow I will be gone. She hasn't taken it very well and my anxiety is through the roof. But I'm not a slave and I won't be treated as one. Iv been suffering urinary problems the past few months and I think it is stress related as they cannot find a cause. Go with ur heart. U deserve to be happy

ScottFromWI 01-22-2018 07:49 AM

Glad to hear you are making positive change for yourself Uncle Holmes. I'm also in the middle of a big downsizing/transition and the environment is toxic. Congrats on the new job!

Opivotal 01-22-2018 08:08 AM

I can understand your anxiety, uncle holmes. These situations can be uncomfortable at best. I would make the meeting short and sweet. No need to get caught up in negativity. Always best to leave on a good note. Thank your boss and move forward.

Congratulations on your new job!! :)

tomsteve 01-22-2018 04:26 PM

heres to a better atmosphere and less stress at the new job:You_Rock_:c011:

uncle holmes 01-22-2018 05:54 PM

I got the physical done for my new job. Afterwards I went to my now former job and told the plant manager that I got this new job and will no longer be working there. He was good about it and said he always liked me and said I didn't burn any bridges. He also said he understands why it's time for me to make a change.

I said my final goodbyes to my co-workers. Some seemed shocked when I told them the news. But they all wished me luck. Most of them asked which job I'm changing to. I told them I don't want to give out any information about my new job.

Tomorrow I start my new job. If I didn't make a change with this new opportunity that came up I don't think I would've ever gotten out of there until I dropped dead from all the stress and BS there! This had to be done.

uncle holmes 01-22-2018 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by lola1987 (Post 6756481)
Hello uncle holmes😀

I am actually in exactly the same predicament as you right now so I thought I must reply. I have been in my job for three years. I am sober a few months. My drinking wracked up due to my job and the stress of it. I am a childminder and to some there would seem no stress to this particular career. When in fact i find it extremely stressful. When I began my boss showed me the ropes. Drop offs collectings that sort of thing. Well that all ramped up pretty quickly. Soon I was going in to work at 7.00 am and not returning home until 8/9pm when I was only paid from 7-4pm. I never had the courage to speak out. I was doing the washing laundry 6school drop offs and collection to different schools daily all the house chores dinners after school clubs and so on I would be here all day explaining it. But I was so unhappy. Last week I found a new job. Today I told my boss I'm leaving that I cannot come back. So after tomorrow I will be gone. She hasn't taken it very well and my anxiety is through the roof. But I'm not a slave and I won't be treated as one. Iv been suffering urinary problems the past few months and I think it is stress related as they cannot find a cause. Go with ur heart. U deserve to be happy

Oh my gosh lola! That's awful what you had to go through! So glad to hear you finally made the change that you needed to make!

ubntubnt 01-22-2018 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by uncle holmes (Post 6757231)
I got the physical done for my new job. Afterwards I went to my now former job and told the plant manager that I got this new job and will no longer be working there. He was good about it and said he always liked me and said I didn't burn any bridges. He also said he understands why it's time for me to make a change.

I said my final goodbyes to my co-workers. Some seemed shocked when I told them the news. But they all wished me luck. Most of them asked which job I'm changing to. I told them I don't want to give out any information about my new job.

Tomorrow I start my new job. If I didn't make a change with this new opportunity that came up I don't think I would've ever gotten out of there until I dropped dead from all the stress and BS there! This had to be done.

well handled and congratulations!

least 01-22-2018 06:26 PM

Congrats on the new job! :)

MindfulMan 01-22-2018 08:02 PM

I was basically told by my doctors and counsellors that my job was making me sick. I don't think it's all that unusual a situation today.