SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Sometimes, simply not drinking is enough. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/422006-sometimes-simply-not-drinking-enough.html)

Stayingsassy 01-16-2018 10:56 AM

Sometimes, simply not drinking is enough.

Lately, it occurs to me what a monumental thing I've done by quitting drinking. You know how many abusive drinkers there are out there that wish they could quit, but haven't? Its uncountable. I see it every day in the crowds we've known over the past 20 years. It's a courageous, difficult and life changing process. So many people just choose not to do it.

There will be days you are full of energy and ambition, and there will be days that are slow. You've earned those slow days. Maybe on some of those days, the most important thing you can do is avoid drinking, and simply nothing else matters.

Cast those worries, those doubts, those cravings, those unhelpful thoughts aside. Reflect on what you've done.

You've quit drinking. Its not just a big hurdle, it's a heroic one. Not only have you saved yourself, you have saved all the people that love you and all the people you will come across in the future, because your energy has changed, and what you give out to the world is on an elevated plane.

So while we need to move forward and not gain 100 pounds or quit our jobs or sit around too much or binge watch 1000 episodes of something, if you are having a sad day, or a tired day: please just reflect on this in those moments you have to yourself.

Blessings to all of you. I know personally now what you have done, and what you continue to do for yourselves and the world around you.

Offthemast 01-16-2018 11:36 AM

"Your energy has changed". Great way to put it. I'm 1000 times better without that weight. I've had glimpses of it. I can't imagine how that could change everything with extended sobriety. We are our better selves and everyone around us benefits most importantly us. Thank you.

2ndhandrose 01-16-2018 03:33 PM

Well said, sassy :tyou

I am one of those people that needs to remind herself of exactly that. Some days, just not drinking is enough.

:grouphug:

Stayingsassy 01-16-2018 03:36 PM

I have plenty of these days. I think in early recovery our faults can be seen in living color, then some days are just hard and it gets tough, it's important for people to remind themselves of the bravery they are showing by quitting.

August252015 01-16-2018 03:45 PM

Good post, Sassy.

I know sometimes I "expect the world" of myself because I have been able to do some pretty awesome things in sobriety. Then again, some days - I just gotta say, "it's ok not to go for another mountain top today!"

Learning to be gentle with myself and also appreciate the basic fact that I am SOBER almost 23 months... Or other big things that I can sometimes gloss over their importance....can be more than enough accomplishment for that day.

LateBloominCait 01-16-2018 05:20 PM

This is a great post! And really, how many days and nights did we waste doing nothing but drinking? Drinking used to be our down time, but now we can use that time to actually rest and restore ourselves.

Done4today 01-16-2018 05:28 PM

Great post Stayingsassy!

Glad to see your change of energy!!

faith823 01-16-2018 05:47 PM

This is a great thread. I agree. I put down the drink and a day at a time
If I stay sober it is a positive action in the right direction. I have done so much damage while drinking. Not only was I doing nothing while drinking I was reversing any good fortune I had achieved. 23 Days today and I am slowly building back a semblance of my life. Down days are good for rest and restoration :) as someone mentioned. I will think of it this way as opposed my life is boring, I am a slug, I will never get a job, I will never have fun again, I will be shut up in a bedroom at my parents forever..... etc.etc. Putting down the drink has made a big difference
with the feelings inside of me.
This post also reminds me of my very first sponsor in AA. I would call and advise her of all the trials and tribulations and frustrations I had experience during the day. And she would respond "Did you drink today?" I would say no. And she would reply "You are a miracle today".
It took me awhile I realized she was 100 per cent right.

:thanks:thanks

Stayingsassy 01-16-2018 06:06 PM

Faith, you had a cool sponsor. I've been pretty hard on myself while getting sober. But your sponsor is right. Good job on your 23 days.

Lostintime1984 01-16-2018 06:15 PM

Drinking has got me no where. I don't know how I let it tag along for so long. On my second recovery try. Seems like I got it beat. Can't wait for 6 month no alcohol anniversary.

August252015 01-17-2018 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by LateBloominCait (Post 6750080)
This is a great post! And really, how many days and nights did we waste doing nothing but drinking? Drinking used to be our down time, but now we can use that time to actually rest and restore ourselves.

^^This is a great point!

And for me, it's two fold - one, I can recall how many hours I wasted (no pun intended) on drinking, planning to drink, thinking about drinking ad nauseum -and it propels me to go to that meeting I don't want to or other such constructive use of my time. And, two, it gently reminds me that sometimes the best use of my time is "just" resting or watching a TV show or taking extra time cooking dinner for my husband or....

Bottom line- freedom of choice! Not being sick from drinking alone is a great example of what time can be like now.

icoi87 01-17-2018 06:31 AM

Love this post. I have to remind myself of this!

EliL 01-17-2018 07:37 AM

Well said, in my experience and it was the topic of another thread a large portion of people end up drinking again when the fact they have, against the odds, stopped drinking becomes not so much of a big deal anymore. For a problem drinker their biggest personal achievement is to stop drinking, stay stopped and start living. Most people would agree with that statement including the vast majority of the medical profession, as i am sure would our relatives, friends, job, bank, car insurers, home insurers, pets, children, etc etc etc.

Of course, for most of us, putting down the booze is the start of the journey as it has to be if we are going to stay off of it and have some kind of life.

ScottFromWI 01-17-2018 07:51 AM

Removing alcohol from our lives is a fantastic thing.

Spending time to work on our recovery is even better. I feel there is a big difference between "not drinking" and "recovering". Whether its using SR as your support, AVRT, AA, counseling, etc - I firmly believe you need to do something to address the issue.

Hopedeferred 01-17-2018 10:09 AM

I agree that looking deeper is essential

I've been going to a Serenity group off and on over the last 5 years now, and one thing that is brought up periodically when people (like myself) pick up again is the Q, "Have you been working the program?" I had a hard time getting that. Did it mean "Did I read the Big Book this week? Did I focus on the step of the month through reading, journaling, prayer?" I guess it means all of those things or anything that will keep you from picking up.

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6750727)
Removing alcohol from our lives is a fantastic thing.

Spending time to work on our recovery is even better. I feel there is a big difference between "not drinking" and "recovering". Whether its using SR as your support, AVRT, AA, counseling, etc - I firmly believe you need to do something to address the issue.

WaterOx 01-17-2018 10:25 AM

Anyone ever watch the series The Wire where "Bubbles" the ex-drug addict reads about himself in slice of life story? Check out this short clip ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBw6soYjkDA

I find myself feeling that way from time to time.

Briansy 01-17-2018 12:27 PM

This is such a good way of thinking about it, Sassy and I really feel this mindset will help me through some inevitable dark moments. It doesn't always have to be joyously extracting every thing that life has to offer for it to be a damned sight better than going into a dark hole of booze that will inevitably lead to shame and regret.

MindfulMan 01-17-2018 01:56 PM

When I saw my brother and his wife in October, she said to me that she'd never seen so much light in my eyes.

That was so important to me. It is what drives me to continue. I, too, like the light, and I love shining it on others. Not just for sobriety, but so that I can share positive energy with everyone I meet.

Ken33xx 01-17-2018 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by faith823 (Post 6750115)
This is a great thread. I agree. I put down the drink and a day at a time
If I stay sober it is a positive action in the right direction. I have done so much damage while drinking. Not only was I doing nothing while drinking I was reversing any good fortune I had achieved. 23 Days today and I am slowly building back a semblance of my life. Down days are good for rest and restoration :) as someone mentioned. I will think of it this way as opposed my life is boring, I am a slug, I will never get a job, I will never have fun again, I will be shut up in a bedroom at my parents forever..... etc.etc. Putting down the drink has made a big difference
with the feelings inside of me.
This post also reminds me of my very first sponsor in AA. I would call and advise her of all the trials and tribulations and frustrations I had experience during the day. And she would respond "Did you drink today?" I would say no. And she would reply "You are a miracle today".
It took me awhile I realized she was 100 per cent right.

:thanks:thanks

2006-2009 was a rough time for me financially. I was told basically the same thing, "Did you pick up a drink today?" No, well you're doing alright then."

Which is true because no matter how I spin things I can never fool myself into thinking life isn't much better today regardless of my "quality problems"

August252015 01-17-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by MindfulMan (Post 6751254)
When I saw my brother and his wife in October, she said to me that she'd never seen so much light in my eyes.

That was so important to me. It is what drives me to continue. I, too, like the light, and I love shining it on others. Not just for sobriety, but so that I can share positive energy with everyone I meet.

That's awesome, MMan. People tell me the same, and how happy I am - IRL and in pics- and it just makes me overwhelmed with gratitude.