Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Recovering from binge drinking/ are my symptoms related?

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ive read here for hours and hours the last few days. I am now certain that I am an alcoholic even though I've never even considered that a possibility until a few days ago. I have told my husband what I think is wrong and he said he knew I was an alcoholic, but I don't think he is taking it as seriously as I am.

I feel like my drinking was very similar to many successful people that I know. I wonder why this is so socially acceptable in our culture.

I have been a binge drinker off and on since I was about 13 and am in my early 30s now. I can definitely look back and see the slow progression over the years. I used to only drink at night with friends and on weekends. And never the night nefore work. In the last year and a half or so, I have regularly started drinking to get drunk around 11 or 12 and alone. This has usually been 2-4 times a week, every week.

I calculated that I average a little over 20 beers a week, sometimes a little less and definitely a lot more on holidays and vacations.

I have noticed in the last year my hangovers have turned into something different which I now understand is most likely withdrawal.

I have also not been 100% at work and definitely not at home. I have trouble doing chores. I thought I was just depressed but now really think this all related to.damage from alcohol. I have trouble getting words out a lot and also have trouble with small talk lately. Sometimes I stumble over words.

I have always been a little anxious but over the last year it has been totally different.

I sweat more, my face is always oily. My eyes are usually red and burning even when I haven't had a drink for a few days. I've gained weight. And I am always tired with no energy or motivation. Some days I literally don't get out of bed.

I have so far managed to force myself to make it through doing an acceptable job at work but I can see the decline. I wonder if other people can see what's wrong with me. I really believe if something doesn't change, my entire life may crash around me.

I guess my main question is, has anyone else with my level of drinking experienced these symptoms? Or is it possibly in my head and unrelated.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not sure that whether or not you are an alcoholic is the issue that matters. You will always find someone who fits the label better than you, and meanwhile you could sink further down until you level up down there...

What matters is, how is alcohol affecting your life? Is it generally positive or negative? If you feel its affecting your life in negative ways, why question the idea of quitting? Plenty of people make the choice to stop alcohol without deciding they fit a category, they simply quit.

Best wishes.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely, with the exception of burning eyes I can check off all of the symptoms listed above (plus a few more). All gone now that I have stopped drinking. Kudos to you for addressing this now, it took me a few years longer to finally get off my butt and do something about it! I waited until my health really took a turn for the worse...
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I recognize the symptoms. And, no, they are not "all in your head". Good for you to question your alcohol consumption. You don't need to define or diagnose yourself to decide you're done drinking. But if you do, that your husband sees a problem counts. If you decide to stop, maybe keep track of those issues that are bothering you and how they change little by little without alcohol in your system. And, if you are worried about your symtoms, please get a medical opinion. Welcome to SR! It's a good place to get support.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was only after I stopped drinking that I realized non-alcoholic don't binge drink, get blackouts or get drunk. They never do.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
It was only after I stopped drinking that I realized non-alcoholic don't binge drink, get blackouts or get drunk. They never do.
They may as dumb kids, but they learn from their mistakes and stop when life happens.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definetly due to alcohol(or at least for the most part), the depression, lack of motivation, bloodshot eyes, all that. I was like that too. Towards the end of my heavy drinking I was missing a lot of work, I mean a week at a time, and would always have to take a leave of absence. It was horrible, but couldn't stop, and couldn't get myself to the hospital out of fear.

The addiction was so strong at the end that it was almost impossible to stop on my own. I remember trying and I would get so much anxiety mixed with depression, I recall just pacing back and forth in my house while going through withdrawal, and being all sweaty, thinking I was going to die. The withdrawal would get so bad that I would just relapse again. It was a vicious cycle.

Get as far away from alcohol as you can before the disease gets worse, and find yourself in a position where you can't stop without some sort of medical intervention.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What you are describing is what those of us older than you, and what the medical community in general, already knows about alcoholism. It is a progressive disease.

You can let it continue to progress by satisfying something you think you enjoy now until you no longer enjoy it and have to drink to stave off those withdrawals - which also get progressively worse.

Or arrest the progression now by stopping.

I can honestly say there has NEVER been a day I woke up and said, "you know, I should have drank last night; it would have made this or that so much better." There were many days I wished I hadn't drank the night before.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
zjw

i never felt i had a drinking problem. I'd even say the fridge is full of beer where is the problem?

i quit drinking becuase i was having horrible panic attacks and it was like a last ditch effort to see if i could get them to stop. I figured it probably woudlnt work and that i'd just go back to drinking anyhow so what the hell.

A year later i admited i'm alcoholic. it took me that long being sober to figure it all out. it was such a horribly hard year getting sober and i realized i had TONS of problems basicly all of wich stemmed from my drinking.

I really cant figure out how even one drink is not problematic at least on some level.

Its not like the doctors are on tv going do you feel this or that you may be alcohol deficient... Nah we dont need the stuff its bad for us it never really does anything good for us. so why bother.

my drinking progressed much like yours. WHen i was a kid i'd steal shots of booze from the liquor cabinet. When i was a teen i'd do that but also score a case of beer or 2 every now and then then i added in drugs occasionaly. By the tiem i was like 18 or so i was drinking a 6 pack at least each night on weekends. By the time i was 21 I was good for at least a 6 pack a day. By the time i hit 33 I was drinking 15-20 beers a night day in day out it was like a second job. Thats when I quit.

It was very progressive. it really snuck up on me. I really did put the plug in the jug and over time rub the crap out of my eyes and go OMFG WTF HAVE I DONE.

there i was 33 280lbs 2 -3 packs of smokes a day and 15-20 beers at least a night. To say i was a mess was an understatement.

but life got good again since i quit. I'm 135lbs now run 40-50 miles a week havet smoked in 6 years havent drank in 6.5 years! and life just got better and better.

its amazing how all i did was quit drinking then everyting else started to coem around and get better.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I too agree that the symptoms you describe are familiar ones - and I spent a long time drinking then drinking alcoholically to reach the level of physical symptoms and signs - and almost fatal internal damage- that I hit right before I quit.

One simple reason we - anyone- can get any or all of these effects is because alcohol is poison in our bodies. Period. You see lots of people who aren't or may not be alcoholics, who still drink what would be considered too much by health standards and guidelines, who have much less severe versions of these things, from weight issues to wrinkles to gastric/esphogal issues to ruddy skin to.....

After I quit, and have stayed sober (I am just three days shy of 23 mo), I have found two things to be absolutely true on this topic: one, 99% of my physical, mental and emotional problems are gone; my face looks younger and just so much better than in at least a decade (I'm 41), my body is strong and fit not weak and undernourished, my eyes are clear, I have no esophagal issues the keep me from swallowing well or at all, no dry heaving most days (hard to believe I acted like that was normal).....and two, the problems I do still have are different because they aren't caused by drinking- so they can be properly addressed; I deal with anxiety and sleep problems, to name the two main "issues" I have and they can indeed be dealt with- by meds and by program tools I have learned, and yoga, and naps and... - because they aren't muddled up with anything else.

I was killing myself with alcohol, full stop. Now, I know that I'll get aches, pains, whatever of middle age (which is crazy to say but hey, hopefully I'm only in the middle ) and life. That is such a blessing.

The body can do amazing things in healing itself and responding to good care. I'm so grateful I have given mine the chance to do its best work at all of that.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

definitely familiar to me too Peaches.
D
Old 01-18-2018, 09:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am so glad to see you are addressing this now.

I am not big on labels, but very big on action.

Sounds like you are sure your life would be better overall without the beer, and your husband agrees, why don't you try it.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yes Ma'am! Its time to stop, we can hear the want in your voice (typing)
I went thru the same thing, face was fat, alcohol sweats, swollen eyes......
I stopped it , and feel amazing , all things will pass , you just need to stop now.
Your work load will never get better , BUT your attitude will once you sober up.
More energy, better outlook on life, and you'll be back on track!!
Reach out to any of us, you can do this.
You have to do this........