SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Alan carr (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/421936-alan-carr.html)

eve123 01-15-2018 04:21 AM

Alan carr

Has anybody read this book? Is it any good was talking to a lady in a meeting that she said she found some good tools in there. Just was wondering really if it worth buying thanks

PennyLane76 01-15-2018 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hedd (Post 6748022)
Has anybody read this book? Is it any good was talking to a lady in a meeting that she said she found some good tools in there. Just was wondering really if it worth buying thanks

My experience... I read this when I was struggling in early sobriety. It triggered me and stressed me out. It was like articles you read on Facebook where every paragraph you have to click to another page. How many times do I have to click before the point of the story already? ;) When I was reading I kept getting more and more tense... come on Alan Carr, just tell me the secret already, can't you see I'm desperate here?

I can see it would be very helpful to someone before they made the commitment to quit, or when they were a bit further along and emotions were not all over the place.

icoi87 01-15-2018 06:14 AM

I agree with PennyLane...he is a little slow to get to the point. All in all I think it’s a good point and a good read, but it didn’t work for me (as in keep me sober.)

greens 01-15-2018 06:49 AM

I agree with the main points of the book but didn't like the way it was written. It went along with the basics I was learning in cognitive behavioral therapy- to change the way I think about alcohol. Maybe try finding a copy from the library first?

ScottFromWI 01-15-2018 07:28 AM

I think that reading anything related to recovery is a good idea. It's good to have multiple viewpoints on the concepts, even if what you read isn't something you necessarily agree with. Just like with any genre of book however, if you don't like the writing style or it doesn't click, move on to the next. It generally only takes a few pages to figure that out.

Culture 01-15-2018 07:45 AM

Yeah I've read it, he makes some interesting points and I did stop for a while but I did go back to drinking.

MyLittleHorsie 01-15-2018 08:22 AM

I read Allen Carr to quit smoking. He was a trail blazer there, simple easy, similar to AVRT in ways. I quit for 8 months after reading his book, after a 20 year addiction.

Weight loss - I read that book, it wasn't actually written by Allen Carr, but under the "Easy Way" moniker. It basically said eliminate proteins (animal) and fat and processed - hello I already do that. So it didn't work for me.

In terms of alcoholism, absolutely I apply those same ideals to drinking. The idea nothing positive comes from drinking, alcohol doesn't even taste good, why pour it down my gullet. What do non drinkers do in similar situations, emulate them...

His method is good but his books, while only a couple hours long to read are monotonous. He was an accountant, not a writer LOL

Offthemast 01-15-2018 08:36 AM

Used it to quit smoking. lasted 3 years.

The alcohol ones are good along with Vales Kick the Drink but I think you have to be ready to quit. It's a tool for your toolbox.

EliL 01-15-2018 11:27 AM

I read it, didn't do much for me but may do for you?

zjw 01-15-2018 09:16 PM

I read his quit smoking one and quit for a while. But started up again. Then I read it again after I got sober and haven’t had one in 6 years now. I did not read his drinking one I would imagine it’s similier.

Dee74 01-15-2018 09:57 PM

I read it after I quit, but I found some good ideas in it - mostly asking yourself is alcohol is really going to do for you what you want it to, and is there any other healthier more effective way to get what ever it is you want?

D

MindfulMan 01-15-2018 11:46 PM

I read the smoking one a few weeks after I’d quit and believe it very much helped me to not go back to the habit. Didn’t read the drinking one, but have heard it was similar.

However I think the case that there is absolutely nothing good about the experience is much stronger for nicotine than alcohol.

thisisme 01-16-2018 07:01 AM

I owe my sobriety to Allen Carr.
I read the book on day one in about an hour and threw it across the room vowing never to drink again. That was some 13 years ago.

eve123 01-16-2018 09:32 AM

Thanks for all your replies. I did buy it yesterday and read it all today. I got a lot out of it and liked the simple concept. Another tool I hope I would recommend the read and I now intend to go buy the stop smoking one also! Probably similar but it’s another addiction I ni linger want to have. Thanks guys

AAPJ 01-18-2018 02:45 AM

Alan Carrs book costs $11.45 on Amazon. I find it interesting how carefully we consider this purchase. At least for me $11.45 was on some days less than I spent on alcohol. For. One. Day.

zjw 01-18-2018 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by AAPJ (Post 6751757)
Alan Carrs book costs $11.45 on Amazon. I find it interesting how carefully we consider this purchase. At least for me $11.45 was on some days less than I spent on alcohol. For. One. Day.

hahahhaha yeah i'll sit there and fret over the cost of some oranges and new running shoes. haha I never thought twice about what i spent on booze! lol.

so now when i'm sitting there debating the cost and there i am trying to decide if i should buy something good for me i'm liek Oh god here i go again and i just buy it. lol.

zjw 01-18-2018 05:32 AM

what price would you put on a good happy life?

Offthemast 01-18-2018 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hedd (Post 6749595)
Thanks for all your replies. I did buy it yesterday and read it all today. I got a lot out of it and liked the simple concept. Another tool I hope I would recommend the read and I now intend to go buy the stop smoking one also! Probably similar but it’s another addiction I ni linger want to have. Thanks guys

Theres a video online for Easy way he made awhile back. It's got Theon from Game of Thrones as the main character. Lol. I got it off pirate bay like 6 years ago. I used it, quit and was good until I picked up 3 years later while drinking. I had it licked but made a stupid decision.

It's giving me hope for drinking though. Quitting drinking has been more difficult than smoking but I know I'll reach a point like I did with smoking where I say, "This is normal. I don't miss it. Why did I ever do that?"