Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

One of the latest Facebook phenomenons - hair standing on end

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 05:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi all, I have now happened on this more than once in a small window of time and it's making my hair stand on end.

I just can't see anything remotely cute about this picture. This is an acquaintance of mine who posted this picture of "girls night out" with her 10 year old daughter. I'm keeping my mouth shut and I know under some circumstances to some this may be funny. Obviously, this is not a real alcoholic drink. I get that. But in my mind this is a far reach from playing dress up with mommy's dresses, high heels, and makeup.

For me, a portion of what fueled the fires of alcoholism was the part about getting to be an adult. Even at the end, being able to belly up to the bar and order my beer like a big girl was such a pleasing part of drinking.

For that reason, this picture bothers me. I realize it's probably harmless for the most part but, do we really need to promote this in this day and age?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm. I don't do Facebook or any social media. I'm a bit old for it but I also just can't wrap my brain around sharing every second of my life....forever documenting. Yikes. I'm just not that important. I watch my daughter and the whole thing (snapchat? What?) just baffles me. Ok sorry, not the point.

Is it the umbrella? I can't remember putting an umbrella in my daughters drink but I don't think I would have objected. There are FAR bigger messages all around our kids about drinking alcohol. I think the only thing we can do is guide them, educate them, hope they will make the right decisions when the time comes. I truly believe that my daughter has drawn the addiction card. She is 17. She's not drinking....yet. But she has all the personality traits of an addict. It scares the living daylights out of me. I feel like I'm watching a slow motion train wreck. And she has seen me many times at my worst. It won't matter. She'll choose. She's a great person and doing very well in life. Maybe my fears aren't warranted. Only time will tell.

So the umbrella? In the scheme of things that won't mean a hill of beans. Just my perspective at this point. Social media is going to be a huge problem for my daughters generation, if it isn't already. I hate it.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey LB!! ;-)

It’s been a while! I totally see your point. I know as a child I drank fancy Shirley temple drinks with umbrella’s and a cherry on special occasions. I don’t think it had ANYTHING to do with where I am at now. I also don’t think the general population realizes how serious alcoholism is for the most part. Would I let my kids drink this fancy drink? No. But I have been through the gauntlet of alcoholism. My kids have seen it as well. So far as teenagers, it has propelled them the polar opposite of any alcohol. I am thankful for that. I know at the lake house that my parents own and being out on a boat around other families, it’s nothing for a dad to tell his 6 yo son to “grab him a beer”. I find that totally not ok. But again, they are not the alcoholic. I am. They can control it and not get black out drunk. I can’t
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just speaking from my own experience here. I have a 6 year old daughter and her favorite thing to drink when I take her to Disneyland is a “dole whip float” . It’s pineapple whip sorbet and pineapple juice. They put a umbrella and cherry in it and she LOVES it. She is young and innocent and doesn’t associate it with alcohol whatsoever. After she drinks it she carries the little umbrella home and uses it for her Barbie dolls. I don’t know that I see anything wrong with this photo. To be honest if someone stole a picture of my child from my social media and posted it on another site to judge my parenting I would be livid though.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would probably post a similar pic drinking or not. I rim plastic cups with candy and put Shirley temples with cherries and umbrellas in them for the kids for birthday parties. It has nothing to do with drinking. I drank Shirley temples as a kid, it didn't influence me to become an alcoholic considering I drank extremely dry wine and never drank a frou frou alcoholic drink in.my life. It is something fun for kids.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Well, first, thank you for confirming what I thought, this is MY stuff. So, with that I concede. I did have a feeling as I posted that in the original.

Probably because that playing an adult was a large part of who I was when drinking.

Behappy1!! so good to see you! Will have to send you a pm on my outcome this past week.

I am now 20 months sober and 3 months cig free

SickinLove, I completely get where you're coming from. I did take out whatever would make the pic identifying but still, I get where you're coming from. Just a heads up though. There is no such thing as stealing a picture that's been posted on social media. When a person posts a picture they might like to think that people will always be above board in the way that material is used. I fell short and I do feel badly for what I did. However, what's on social media is for the taking for anyone who wants it who can see it . That's why anyone posting a picture OR any content should always think it through first.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

I cannot see any connection to drinking Alcohol in this picture.It is common here in the UK to put a paper umbrella in a drink,nothing to do with Alcohol.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

As the youngest of four kids and raised by two alcoholics I imbibed at a young age - a sip here and there. A leftover cocktail - a wedding reception with champagne. A special dessert - vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of creme de menthe - a virgin strawberry daquari.

6 people, 5 alcoholics / 3 who have had some level of recovery.

Cheers.......
Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My grandmother used to serve me water glasses of Cold Duck (ugh) starting when I was about 7. Cold Duck was this foul sparkling red wine.

Funny thing is that neither she nor my grandfather drank.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
My grandmother used to serve me water glasses of Cold Duck (ugh) starting when I was about 7. Cold Duck was this foul sparkling red wine.

Funny thing is that neither she nor my grandfather drank.
Wow. Granny wanted you out like a light. Yikes.

My brothers got me drunk for the first time when I was 8. Weed too. I wasn't until I had my own sweet, innocent 8 yr old running around that realized I had no childhood. It was abuse and neglect. But it's in the pass. I have moved on. Pretty sick shlit tho.

Did granny say "oop juniors coming for a stay....stock up on the cold duck?"....Jesus granny! Did she put an umbrella in it?
Old 01-13-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey Ladyblue

I get what you're saying about what's on the internet is far game. One of the major reasons I don't use it. But aren't facebook accounts only accessible by 'friends'?

I didn't even think that this was any kind of breach of protocol....I'm just more curious. GAWD even employers can ask for potential employees facebook access. That is scary. I think I'll stick to the phone call, text or send an occasional picture via my phone.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

We look at things differently. "girls night out" "football Sunday""Sat night party" "random Tuesday" all involved heavy amounts of drinking for us. For most people they don't. Normal people don't go around thinking about protocol when it comes to drinking or worry about it. I don't see a problem with kids having a virgin drink. They taste good and are fancy and the kids not imagining getting drunk. Taste good and are fancy is the reason normal people have a cocktail, not us though.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hey Ladyblue

I get what you're saying about what's on the internet is far game. One of the major reasons I don't use it. But aren't facebook accounts only accessible by 'friends'?

I didn't even think that this was any kind of breach of protocol....I'm just more curious. GAWD even employers can ask for potential employees facebook access. That is scary. I think I'll stick to the phone call, text or send an occasional picture via my phone.
Hey Frick! It all depends on your settings as to who can see what you post. But..... if you knew who really had accessibility it would amaze you. Unless you have done complete due diligence in your privacy settings not all that’s on your page which includes pictures is private.