Notices

A word of compassion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A word of compassion

For folks in early recovery and those still struggling with active addiction, my heart goes out to you and I'm so sorry you got hit with this particular ailment that causes so much suffering.

Nearing month 4, I'm feeling so much stronger. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and when I eat properly honestly I feel really, really good. Months into sobriety a bad diet was making me sick, but now that I am eating well, that plus sobriety has huge payoffs that you don't get when you watch your diet while drinking. So much clearer, better energy, better sleep, better workouts, and the last thing i need is an alcoholic drink. It sounds awful right now and like a poisonous trap. That's what makes me feel bad for those of you still having trouble, its like there's a veil over your eyes and the only way to get it off your head is to get some sober time.

Not just physically stronger though...my family is peaceful, our home life is sane and I find I have more energy to go to work more, which is improving our financial situation.

Take it from me If it helps: you WILL need months to feel better but once you feel better? Its awesome. It feels like you've freed yourself from a trap and you are sprinting in the opposite direction, toward greener pastures.

Stay the course, friends.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you. I needed to read this today. Congratulations on 4 months! That is great!
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
For folks in early recovery and those still struggling with active addiction, my heart goes out to you and I'm so sorry you got hit with this particular ailment that causes so much suffering.

Nearing month 4, I'm feeling so much stronger. I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and when I eat properly honestly I feel really, really good. Months into sobriety a bad diet was making me sick, but now that I am eating well, that plus sobriety has huge payoffs that you don't get when you watch your diet while drinking. So much clearer, better energy, better sleep, better workouts, and the last thing i need is an alcoholic drink. It sounds awful right now and like a poisonous trap. That's what makes me feel bad for those of you still having trouble, its like there's a veil over your eyes and the only way to get it off your head is to get some sober time.

Not just physically stronger though...my family is peaceful, our home life is sane and I find I have more energy to go to work more, which is improving our financial situation.

Take it from me If it helps: you WILL need months to feel better but once you feel better? Its awesome. It feels like you've freed yourself from a trap and you are sprinting in the opposite direction, toward greener pastures.

Stay the course, friends.
Epic post. Sounds like you have gone through a rollercoaster but your posts are always very positive and it seems as if things are really going in the right direction for you. I was feeling pretty good on day 10 this week. Looking forward to that again after a blip.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for this thread, Stayingsassy! ❤️
Old 01-12-2018, 12:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I needed this today, I am struggling.. thank you.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

Awesome post, sassy

Full of truths!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post Sassy,

So awesome to see someone make the breakthrough. watching you struggle was so hard but Now I am so happy for you. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love it, thank you for this! What insight - somehow I imagine you like in these old master paintings, with a ray of sunlight from the heavens shining on your face, smiling contently because of this stroke of enlightenment!
Old 01-12-2018, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Sass is awesome sauce.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well for you Sassy. Keep moving forward. Excellent message this thread is.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

A poisonous trap - perfect description. Thank you, Sassy.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you! Exactly what I needed tonight.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I just hit 8 months myself. It gets easier and better. At 4 months I was mid-intensive outpatient. Keep workin' it all!

The stick is remembering how horrible our drinking/using days were. The carrot is the delicious presence and clarity that comes with sobriety.

It gets really fun when you start to put your life back together and the new one is far better than the old one.

Promise.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I just hit 8 months myself. It gets easier and better. At 4 months I was mid-intensive outpatient. Keep workin' it all!

The stick is remembering how horrible our drinking/using days were. The carrot is the delicious presence and clarity that comes with sobriety.

It gets really fun when you start to put your life back together and the new one is far better than the old one.

Promise.
this. I know its still early for me but I just want everyone here to start racking up months. Just rack up the months and wait. Yes you will feel like hell sometimes days and weeks in a row, and you'll think I can't possibly go through this, but you can, and then when the smoke clears? Your new situation is way, way better than your old drinking situation.

Give it months!! All of you!! Do it!! Hugs and love, Sassy
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Sass is awesome sauce.
right back atcha! You made sobriety look fun, my friend.