Notices

Blood Test

Old 01-12-2018, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood Test

I had a blood test about 2 months ago and asked specifically if they could check my liver.

Anyway, didn't hear back from my Dr so rang to check, his nurse advised that there were no issues which I was quite surprised about, as I thought at least would have fatty liver.

Even if blood tests come back clear is there still damage that can have occurred that they dont pick up from blood tests?

Cheers
Old 01-12-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was surprised that my liver was ok too.
I would suggest accepting the results and not stressing about it.
That's anxiety you don't need.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was surprised too but there you have it. Chalk it up as a win and don;t let the AV get at you and try and convince you you 'weren't that bad'

Drink enough and you can wreck any liver, good results this time or not.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happily accept the test results and move on into the next chapter of your drink free life.

I wish you the best.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Agree with the others. IME, I was on the extreme brink of cirrhosis and knew it even before tests- after about 90 days the retests put all levels, on all tests, smack in normal - I was floored. I kept going in recovery and things keep getting better. Be grateful and stay sober was my thought!! Take care.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

My test numbers after a couple years sober were so much improved, that my doctor could hardly believe it was the same person! Of course, I'm NOT the same person since I quit drinking...I'm MUCH better in every way.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad the tests are clear LFCNZ, take it as a blessing and be thankful!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Samantha

The liver is able to repair itself after some damage, is it not? Did you have sober days in between drinking? Sometimes even a few days can help.
I’m glad you’re liver is okay! It’s really good to hear.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not to be Debbie Downer... There can still be damage that doesn't show up in blood work. Fatty Liver is best diagnosed through an ultrasound - however there is research that even just 30 days off the drink can improve liver function and reduce fatty liver by as much as 30% So take those results, knowing quitting drinking has only improved the quality of your life and made your liver much happier and better able to function. I think the magic number is 50-60%, that is if you have 50-60% healthy cells in your liver, it can regenerate in time.

I gained a bunch of weight with my ex husband and then lost very quickly, like the day after we divorced LOL not quite that quick, but in less than a year I was back to my college weight, then I had gall bladder issues that required it's removal. I used to say, figures I finally get thin again and I get a fat person's disease, I am sure my drinking and bingeing and lifestyle for the decade prior didn't help At any rate, I have always been uber worried about my liver, especially now, even though it has always been the right size and only once did I have whacky functions on a test, but I was pregnant and that is quite common - plus I was really sick that time. I know, my liver has a bit harder time, without my gall bladder, so I avoid meat - that's psychological too, fats, keep meals super small... Live like I have liver disease, even though I don't. Honestly, since smoking and drinking are gone from my life, I feel like my liver is functioning so much better, infact I know it is!
Old 01-12-2018, 07:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The liver isn't the only organ affected by alcohol use. It is also linked to many forms of cancer, heart disease, kidney issues, diabetes and blood sugar issues and pancreas issues. Just to name a few. You don't heal from injuries as well or as quickly. It can eventually strangle the vessels in your limbs and cause alcoholic neuropathy.

The liver is a common spot for problems, but pretty much any part of your body could be having problems from drinking. Best to just not drink at all IMO.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
The liver is able to repair itself after some damage, is it not? Did you have sober days in between drinking? Sometimes even a few days can help.
I’m glad you’re liver is okay! It’s really good to hear.
The liver can do some repair on itself but the idea that it can fully repair from years of abuse is a myth. Livers scar over just like any other part of your body. If you've done enough damage, stopping will just halt it where it is but it won't ever fully heal to what it was before you drank.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pets aren’t people, but in vet tech school we were taught repeatedly that tests results are only one metric. Liver and kidney function can be down to 30% of normal before they register on a blood test in some individuals.

So....
Old 01-12-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was surprised that I was healthy as a horse after I got sober. No liver damage. Why create problems for yourself where there aren't any. Tests show you are fine. Believe that and go about the business of living a sober life.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah towards the end I was drinking a fifth of vodka almost everyday. I've been sober now and I'm shocked that my liver function panel was normal, and my doctor doesn't seem very concerned, therefore I'm not going to request any further testing and stress myself in the process.