Notices

Neuropathy Symptoms

Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power
 
incognition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 62
I was having the same sorts of symptoms during the final days of my drinking. Strange leg and arm pains and tingling, weakness and extreme sensitivity to temperature. At the height of the problems, they were bad enough that we were thinking it could possibly be MS. I saw a neurologist and, like you, all tests came up showing nothing. Even had a few expensive imaging tests done, all of which came back "normal", meaning a lot of money just thrown away.

This was one of the things (along with cognitive problems and a serious self-introspection) that led me to quit. That was about 8 months ago, and so far those problems have not returned. I do occasionally have some problems with my left foot hurting (nerve-type pain) and with circulation in my hands and feet, but the symptoms are much better than they were.

I am still scared I've done permanent damage to my body though, damage that may not appear for years. My liver showed normal signs, so I'm not so much worried about it as my nervous system. The liver is noted for its exceptional ability to heal, but the nervous system is noted for its exceptional RESISTANCE to healing. But there's no way to know right now, so I try not to think about it and just keep on living.
incognition is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate
 
doggonecarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 10,955
Originally Posted by lafoie View Post
I have just done some additional reading, and, while somewhat atypical, my pain could just as well be the damn sciatica, even though my therapist didn't identify it yet.
Sounds like a lot of anxiety driven self diagnosis going on. I'm not saying you don't have pain and other symptoms, but you are worrying yourself sicker.
doggonecarl is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 03:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!
 
Vinificent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 1,232
So sorry your symptoms have not improved as you hoped. I can tell you malnourishment and low mineral counts in the blood are no joke and what landed me in the hospital twice after binges (Yes it was the alcohol I drank, but it was the resulting rock bottom CBC, not the BAC, that caused the seizure and syncope). I still get residual tingling, Reynauds (hands/feet/extremities lose circulation and turn blue) and painful muscle spasms.
However, the vitamin regimen I am on and B12 objections have helped tremendously! I only bring this up because I did not read that your Dr has addressed possible vitamin deficiencies, and this is somewhat easy and inexpensive relief. Best to you!
Vinificent is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by incognition View Post
I was having the same sorts of symptoms during the final days of my drinking. Strange leg and arm pains and tingling, weakness and extreme sensitivity to temperature. At the height of the problems, they were bad enough that we were thinking it could possibly be MS.
May I ask how long the symptoms persisted after you quit drinking and how gradual/noticeable was the recovery? If I only had hope that this would gradually subside within a year or so I wouldn't worry so much.

Originally Posted by incognition View Post
I am still scared I've done permanent damage to my body though, damage that may not appear for years. My liver showed normal signs, so I'm not so much worried about it as my nervous system. The liver is noted for its exceptional ability to heal, but the nervous system is noted for its exceptional RESISTANCE to healing. But there's no way to know right now, so I try not to think about it and just keep on living
It worries me too that it seems the full damage has not manifested itself yet. On the other hand, if you did the imaging tests and they didn't indicate major nerve damage, I think you shouldn't worry about things getting much worse. Nerves can regenerate and rewire somewhat, so if you take good nutrients you give yourself a chance.

I didn't do the fancy nerve tests, but they pushed me, stretched me and bent me in all sorts of positions and nothing was glaringly bad, so I'm hoping my damage is not severe and I caught my symptoms early, while they are still recoverable.
lafoie is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:41 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Vinificent View Post
However, the vitamin regimen I am on and B12 objections have helped tremendously! I only bring this up because I did not read that your Dr has addressed possible vitamin deficiencies, and this is somewhat easy and inexpensive relief. Best to you!
Yeah, that's frustrating that they didn't check the vitamins. I started taking B complex on my own, and it certainly helped stop the hair loss that I was experiencing for a while, but no other symptoms were alleviated thus far. Perhaps I need injections, but it doesn't feel that way as right now I'm not really having the typical deficiency symptoms, and my minerals like potassium and calcium were normal on the tests. It's a good point though, I will talk to my doctor.
lafoie is offline  
Old 03-02-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,562
Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
Vitamin B1 is severely deficient in alcoholics, it's often recommended to take as a supplement.

I had a lot of physical symptoms during withdrawal, some lasting quite awhile. They did resolve.

Hang in there
Disturbed gait and limping is one symptom of a thiamine deficiency, which would be exacerbated by vomiting, diarrhea and gastritis, as nutrients are even more depleted in that scenario.

If there is permanent neurological damage, I think that falls into category of the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Go to a doctor, take care of the body with diet and exercise. Generally the symptoms get better over time, they don't worsen.
MindfulMan is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Disturbed gait and limping is one symptom of a thiamine deficiency, which would be exacerbated by vomiting, diarrhea and gastritis, as nutrients are even more depleted in that scenario.

If there is permanent neurological damage, I think that falls into category of the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Go to a doctor, take care of the body with diet and exercise. Generally the symptoms get better over time, they don't worsen.
I do not limp, but I'm afraid of that happening down the road. It is just suddenly bothersome for me to walk longer distances.

I do not have extreme vitamin deficiency symptoms, I had some bad vomiting episodes toward the end of my drinking spells, and my body was and still is depleted, which would indicate I did suffer from deficiency. I will see if my doctors can do something, but for now I have to wait and rely on vitamin pills, diet and moderate exercise. Thanks for clarifying that the symptoms may get better, even if in an unspecified period of time...
lafoie is offline  
Old 03-03-2018, 12:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Running on Backup Power
 
incognition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by lafoie View Post
May I ask how long the symptoms persisted after you quit drinking and how gradual/noticeable was the recovery? If I only had hope that this would gradually subside within a year or so I wouldn't worry so much.
The symptoms mostly got better before I quit completely, leaving behind some minor tingling and temperature sensitivity. I was drinking less at that point because my body physically couldn't take as much as it once could without getting sick. It probably took about three months for the symptoms to subside to their current level.

I was having other problems related to the central nervous system (confusion, memory loss, inability to concentrate), so that's what got me thinking about the connection between alcohol abuse and nervous tissue damage. It's possible that this wasn't related to alcohol at all, but I can't think of anything else that could have caused it. I guess I'll never know unless it comes back (and maybe not even then, if the imaging tests didn't find anything wrong). Obviously not going to take the chance on further damage (of any kind) by drinking again, that's for sure.
incognition is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 25
[QUOTE=lafoie;6806056]Yeah, thanks. In fact, I have just done some additional reading, and, while somewhat atypical, my pain could just as well be the damn sciatica, even though my therapist didn't identify it yet. It has just been two maddening months, so I still swing back and forth between different concerns. I apologize for the confusion, but if anything, this post documents the various symptoms and complications that can occur. I will post back when I get a clearer picture of this.

Specific descriptions of neuropathic symptoms and development are still welcome![/QUOTE

Last edited by MC555; 05-28-2018 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Delete
MC555 is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 12:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by lafoie View Post
Yeah, thanks. In fact, I have just done some additional reading, and, while somewhat atypical, my pain could just as well be the damn sciatica, even though my therapist didn't identify it yet. It has just been two maddening months, so I still swing back and forth between different concerns. I apologize for the confusion, but if anything, this post documents the various symptoms and complications that can occur. I will post back when I get a clearer picture of this.

Specific descriptions of neuropathic symptoms and development are still welcome!
Hi lafoie,

Any new updates on your situation? I have almost identical symptoms with pain in the legs, primarily behind the knee. It can also move to the shins, ankles and upper leg. I also have some tingling on both feet which can turn into a cold or hot/burning feeling. Been to a neurologist who does not think it is neuropathy, although I am convinced it is. Iím going back soon for more tests (a full spine MRI and hopefully a test to check small nerve fiber damage).

My background: I have been a heavy daily drinker for about 12 years and quit about 8 weeks ago when I started getting symptoms. They went away for a month while I was sober and returned a few days after I relapsed and went on a binge. Been sober again almost 2 weeks and symptoms have by subsided.

I hope your situation has improved and would love to hear any progress!
MC555 is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please
 
MindfulMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,562
I could barely walk in rehab, and have had lingering balance issues. The neuro thought I also had some peripheral neuropathy, requested an MRI, and referred me to a physical therapist. PT does NOT think the balance issues are neurological in nature, but rather bad walking habits from arthritis in my big toe and bad posture from years of being overweight. The insurance company denied coverage for the MRI but my PCP and I aren’t too worried and will just be watchful. The neuropathy is more of an it is what it is kinda thing.

I also had hair loss about six months AFTER I stopped drinking, but that may have been due to medication and a big diet change (keto).

I think you have to give yourself 9 months at least before your body starts to come back to normal.
MindfulMan is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I could barely walk in rehab, and have had lingering balance issues. The neuro thought I also had some peripheral neuropathy, requested an MRI, and referred me to a physical therapist. PT does NOT think the balance issues are neurological in nature, but rather bad walking habits from arthritis in my big toe and bad posture from years of being overweight. The insurance company denied coverage for the MRI but my PCP and I arenít too worried and will just be watchful. The neuropathy is more of an it is what it is kinda thing.

I also had hair loss about six months AFTER I stopped drinking, but that may have been due to medication and a big diet change (keto).

I think you have to give yourself 9 months at least before your body starts to come back to normal.
So the PT was able to determine neuropathy based off physical exam and symptoms or did they refer you to a neurologist for additional testing?
MC555 is offline  
Old 03-17-2019, 02:44 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Hi - I read your posts from a year ago and wanted to check how you are doing. Hope you are doing well. I am in fairly similar boat as you are and curious to know how you are doing .
rkish is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 06:04 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
 
ScottFromWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 16,945
Welcome to SR Rkish. I don't think the user you quoted has been active on the site for quite some, but hope we can help.
ScottFromWI is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 04:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 205,734
welcome aboard rkish
D
Dee74 is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:50 AM.