SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Just a reminder (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/421397-just-reminder.html)

waynetheking 01-05-2018 07:13 PM

Just a reminder

Sobriety is nothing to fear folks. If you think your going to be missing out on something, life is going to be boring, your friends will leave you or life in general will just suck, then i can absolutely assure you that your wrong.
The opposite is true. Hands down, 100 percent true. Just give sobriety some time and don't drink under any circumstances. Your fears will leave your life concerning sobriety.
Just a reminder for our new folks here.

Hopeful76 01-06-2018 12:35 AM

Thanks for that :) it's nice to hear and it makes me feel positive. I'm only on day 6 but I'm already thinking about what to say to people when my Dry January excuse runs out. I think I have a plan though. Just to tell them I'm not drinking to save money this year (not a lie). Funny how I'm on day 6 yet im already feeling anxious about future scenarios. People could always rely on me to get drunk with you see.
I sometimes think I will become boring and people won't bother with me anymore, but maybe these people aren't real friends. Who knows, time will tell.....
I'm going on holiday to the US (Disney) this year. I've never been there before but guessing it's not really a booze filled place, and I'll be that tired out and busy I won't have time to think about one (I hope).

Cappy76 01-06-2018 02:04 AM

I agree im a walking talking example. But nothing leaves us, we push it away for the drink. Instead of pushing the drink away for life.

Cappy76 01-06-2018 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hopeful76 (Post 6735984)
Thanks for that :) it's nice to hear and it makes me feel positive. I'm only on day 6 but I'm already thinking about what to say to people when my Dry January excuse runs out. I think I have a plan though. Just to tell them I'm not drinking to save money this year (not a lie). Funny how I'm on day 6 yet im already feeling anxious about future scenarios. People could always rely on me to get drunk with you see.
I sometimes think I will become boring and people won't bother with me anymore, but maybe these people aren't real friends. Who knows, time will tell.....
I'm going on holiday to the US (Disney) this year. I've never been there before but guessing it's not really a booze filled place, and I'll be that tired out and busy I won't have time to think about one (I hope).

That is actually the part I like, call me weird, but when the beers come out I say no and they look all weird, I absolutely love that part.
Im watching my figure, im allergic to booze, im on a health kick, im on antibiotics, I have to drive etc etc and so on.
But to be honest we should if we are living honestly tell them we don't drink because we are Alcoholics.
And stuff them what they think about it, its not all about them, its about everyone.

Hopeful76 01-06-2018 03:33 PM

Well said and very true :)

Dropsie 01-09-2018 12:28 AM

I can only second that. I was with the same friends that I have spent the holidays with for the last 20 years. Many times during the 12 days one or more said, look at her, she is the life of the party and stone cold sober. And it was true!

aasharon90 01-09-2018 03:34 AM

Passing on the message of hope
to us in life and recovery is some
powerful stuff.

Thank you friend for sharing. :)