Notices

yep you guessed it............

Old 11-01-2004, 11:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

I don't think I will get to the point of losing everything, I think its all under control
If this were truly the case, you would be able to stop on your own.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"i guess the main reason why I don't need a treatment center is becasue I don't have much to lose"

Believe me, you do have a lot to lose, and so do the people who love you. Your response is typical and predictable. You are using your alcoholic brain to do your thinking for you. This is a disease of DENIAL, and you illucidated it here perfectly. You need help.

Good Luck,

Jim
Old 11-01-2004, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Another Music fan here. People may mistaken you for me by your postings.I posted 100 times over the past year,I quit,I dont need to quit,Im an alcoholic,Im NOT an alcoholic,etc... I just lived my life in circles just like you will be doing or maybe already are.I finally bit the bullet 8 days ago and stopped drinking.My last drinking episode cost me 2 broken ribs,sprained ankle,and a smashed head,laying for an hour at the bottom of the stairs I fell down,all ALONE in the house.Bleed to death and have family find me,maybe broken rib peircing my lung,broken neck leaving me never to walk again,these are things that go through my mind because I just could not stop drinking,or so I thought I could not stop.Wake up,its hard to get started but after the first few days you WILL look forward to more sober days.Take these peoples advice on AA.After only 8 days straight my mind is so clear,Im getting back my life that I so badly missed for years but was controlled by drinking beers ,many beers,every single day.I,like you,did not even enjoy the drinking anymore but it was like thats all I know so why bother stopping.I sit here today sipping on a Dr.Pepper soda and it tastes so much better than alcohol,I would say beer but all I taste is the alcohol in the beer now.Good luck and seriously take the advice given by these people.good luck
Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dan

Dr. Pepper?
Ewww... That stuff will kill ya
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll repeat my buddy DangerousDan...

"What's your plan?"

Just saying you're going to stop isn't a plan, trust me -- been there, done that.

Do you have access to AA meetings in your area? You may want to check them out, no "bottom" necessary -- just a desire to stop drinking.

Maybe you can start there, there are some suggestions that may work out to be a plan of attack for you in AA.

Let us know how you are doing.

Ken
Old 11-01-2004, 12:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

yeah Dan,the high sugar content is pickling my liver as I speak. :shock: NoMo,hanging in there buddy? I hope you feel as nice as me.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:05 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Sounds like it is controlling you and you need help. Just an observation. Please let us know how you make out. Recovery is not easy but there are many rewards that go along with it.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

So I know its not much but its been 2 days since I had any alcohol. I'm grumpy and down but refuse to go get any alcohol. Maybe in a few weeks things won't be as hard. Although I have heard the hardest part starting out is between 15-30 days who knows if thats true or not
Old 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think the hardest part for me was also the first month. The cravings, the obsession I had to drink was very strong.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hey paragon,thats awesome.I was pretty grumpy for a couple days too.I only have 9 days since I stopped drinking but in 9 days I look at life in a whole new way.Im becoming an active member in my family again.Its amazing how EVERYBODY in your life will treat and talk to you in a different,but better way because youre not drunk or even just buzzed from a couple drinks.I can "feel" respect returning from people involved in my daily life.I like now I can just get up and go,any hour of the day or night,and have no worries of driving drunk or smelling "like a brewery" or slurring out words without even realizing it(others do hear the rolling r's very clearly).Keep it up,dont drink,keep busy,be patient,dont drink,post hear often,dont drink,eat good,buy yourself a self-help book,dont drink,and most important DONT DRINK.
Old 11-02-2004, 04:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Chy

At some point paragon we all were exactly where you were at in your first post. Please don't take offense to our tough love approach, as everyone here DOES care and does understand, and your right, it stings when it's put right in our face the underlying truths. Your in the right place with genuine people that care. I know each one of these drunks, some better then others, and I assure you we're holding our breath, hoping, praying even for you!

It takes some of us longer then others to get to the point of throwing in the towel,of saying enough is enough, of realizing that fear of sobriety is unwaranted. We'll be here for you as you begin your journey. We do care and love you with the deepest understanding of where your coming from like no one else you'll ever meet. *hugs*
Old 11-02-2004, 04:55 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IMHomerSimpson
Keep it up,dont drink,keep busy,be patient,dont drink,post hear often,dont drink,eat good,buy yourself a self-help book,dont drink,and most important DONT DRINK.
I hope you don't mind, but I just printed that out in big, bold letters and stuck it to my refrigerator door.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by paragonlost
So I know its not much but its been 2 days since I had any alcohol. I'm grumpy and down but refuse to go get any alcohol. Maybe in a few weeks things won't be as hard. Although I have heard the hardest part starting out is between 15-30 days who knows if thats true or not
I'm proud of you paragon. Don't worry about a couple weeks. Just go for today, and then tomorrow when it gets here. One Day at a Time. Call AA and get someone over to talk you through those tough times. Go to a meeting and screem at the drunks about how tough it is. They've been there and know what you're going through and just what to tell you. Above all, don't drink and don't give up. It might even help to PRAY a little.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:10 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

sub,hell no i dont mind.I help you,you help me.BTW,did Chy call us "drunks"? Cant argue with that one. :smlove2:
Old 11-02-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by IMHomerSimpson
BTW,did Chy call us "drunks"?
I do believe she did Homer.
Would this be a proper time to say it takes one to know one?

Paragon, two days already...
Grumpy, irritable, insomnia, no appetite, the list goes on....
Any number of uncomfortable things will be with you the first week. But it goes away. Stay focused on the now, and don't worry about anything else.
Deal with tomorrow... Tomorrow.
And keep reaching out. That's the key.
Don't isolate yourself. Spending too much time inside your head right now is not a good idea.
Trust me on that.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
\
Don't isolate yourself. Spending too much time inside your head right now is not a good idea.
Trust me on that.
I'll second that. Been there many many years. Heck, I still tend to drift towards isolation. When there's no one to compete for attention is when that "alcoholic" thinking is easily heard.
Old 11-06-2004, 08:25 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Does it make any sense that it really upsets me to realize that I want to be ready to stop drinking but must not bem becasue I always go back to it. Even If I know I shouldn't. I almost made it a week but I guess it must be true, I must not want to sop enough to be able to actually stop, and just hat by itself is frustrating
Old 11-06-2004, 08:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Hello again Paragon

Fully understood.
Thing is what can be done about it?
You can keep trying to do it alone and one day you will reach a point that you want to stop and thus stop. (who knows how long that will take?)
Plan #2
We don't need do it alone. Meetings are filled with people just like you and me.
Who better to get the facts from then those of us who are there or have been there. We don't need do it alone. There are plenty of people with info waiting to help us.
I can lift a 100 lb rock but why should I when there are plenty of others willing to help me lift it? Just seems smarter to me to get their help.
Keep trying and I am sure you will find the solution.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot, or will not, completely give themselves to this simple program.

AA Big Book
Keep coming back. It works if you work it.

Hugs to you--
Old 11-06-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Wedge4putt

Dear PL:

Please don't wait until one of the L's take you down. Law, Liver(health), Love(spouse)...it gradually will. If you think you have a drinking problem you probably do. I would suggest an outpatient treatment program and start to build your base for recovery. Best of luck. Peace