Notices

Chicken out of aa meeting

Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It took me several times sitting in the parking lot before I could go in.

It's taken me several years of just going in before I've just started working the program.

I wish I had started earlier.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Lpg

I think I just need to go for it, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it difficult I thought it was something people got right away find the process all confusing.

Going to go tomorrow one of the lady's in the group is going to meet me beforehand I'm super glad I messaged her that's very kind of her to do.

Log
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Well done lpg. It sure helps to have a contact to meet you. Just try to keep an open mind and listen for the similarities. It is not so much what we did, as how alcohol affects us. I take that first drink and I can't stop, and I don't seem to be able to not have that first drink. That is the common ground. Our stories will often be quite different.

And also you don't have to say anything if you don't want to' I didnt say a word until about my 20th meeting - too frightened. But I got a lot more from listening anyaway. I don't know if I enjoyed those first meetings (you would not usually enjoy going for other medical treatment I guess), but I did get the feeling I was in the right place with people who understood me and had a real solution to my problem, and that was huge.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Well done lpg. It sure helps to have a contact to meet you. Just try to keep an open mind and listen for the similarities. It is not so much what we did, as how alcohol affects us. I take that first drink and I can't stop, and I don't seem to be able to not have that first drink. That is the common ground. Our stories will often be quite different.

And also you don't have to say anything if you don't want to' I didnt say a word until about my 20th meeting - too frightened. But I got a lot more from listening anyaway. I don't know if I enjoyed those first meetings (you would not usually enjoy going for other medical treatment I guess), but I did get the feeling I was in the right place with people who understood me and had a real solution to my problem, and that was huge.
Thanks yeah hopefully it at least gets me in the door. I don't know why this has started as I was even starting to share in the meetings, I think it's because I wasn't fully accepting of the situation and I found it very emotional because I was grieving for my drinking life in a way hanging on thinking I can moderate (in my heart I know this is lies) I want to go back and everyone is very pleasent to me. I think aswell because I wasn't drinking everyday I was always wondering if people think I'm in the wrong place and I shouldn't be there, I don't know where that thought came from either as no one even commented on that.
Hopefully tomorrow I'm in there and listening and learning!
Old 01-11-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Lpg,

No one in AA has ever asked me to qualify by stating how much or often I drank. You belong simply because you're there.

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Hold onto that. You belong.

O
Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Lpg,

No one in AA has ever asked me to qualify by stating how much or often I drank. You belong simply because you're there.

"The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking."

Hold onto that. You belong.

O
Thanks o that's good to remind myself and ur right no one has ever asked how much I drank. Guess it's just my av trying to tell me what I want to hear. Infact any time I go they all say 'keep coming back' it's obviously all my problem I'm creating in my head.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Lpg

Huge success today

Meeting today was awesome, arrived early and stayed behind. Today I feel I really listened for the first time. Even considering another meeting tonight. The difference in a week. Just thought I'd share an update. Thanks all x
Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Great to hear that you are finding some good support and enjoying the meetings LPG.