SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Almost 3 months (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/421295-almost-3-months.html)

Cosima11 01-04-2018 02:26 AM

Almost 3 months

Hello, I've been sober for 84 days now. I made a couple half hearted attempts before but truly wasn't ready to quit until now. I work in a bar so I've pretty much had to face my fears of being in "that environment" head on. I don't go to meetings and I'm pretty socially isolated but I'm ok with that, you really find out who your friends are through this.

I'd compare my experience so far to waking up from a bad dream, everything is still kind of surreal and depressing and it would be easier to just go back to auto pilot but I know this is the only way I'll have a chance at reclaiming my own life.

theVman31 01-04-2018 02:38 AM

Welcome and well done Cosima on 84 days.

There is alot of support on SR lots of different stories and all kinds of profiles.
It really helps to read and post and join a few running threads, like the january class, the weekender, the 24 hour recovery thread.

Once again well done and happy 2018 (sober)

scaredikklegoth 01-04-2018 04:08 AM

Well done you! This place is really helpful and the people are lovely so I hope that you can make a few new sober friends here :)

Sohard 01-04-2018 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Cosima11 (Post 6733221)

I'd compare my experience so far to waking up from a bad dream, everything is still kind of surreal and depressing and it would be easier to just go back to auto pilot but I know this is the only way I'll have a chance at reclaiming my own life.

This is EXACTLY how I feel. I'm day 25.

Cappy76 01-04-2018 05:10 AM

Im only on 3 days the longest ive been with no alcohol in about 24 years is 6 weeks. The longest I stopped last year my worst year in my life is 3 weeks.
I don't even know what its like I can't remember what its like to be totally sober for 3 months, but I want to know, so im going to find out.

Stronger2017 01-04-2018 05:27 AM

Welcome to SR. Great job on 84 days. I’ve found this site really useful for connecting with other people like me. Best of luck.

Maudcat 01-04-2018 05:49 AM

Welcome and congratulations.
Glad you are here.

Rider0375 01-04-2018 07:14 AM

84 days is awesome! Keep it going. It will only get better, slowly, but you can have faith that it most certainly will.

ScottFromWI 01-04-2018 07:21 AM

Wecome to SR and congrats on your decision and 84 days of sobriety. The "brain fog" is very common in early sobriety. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so it literally changes our brain chemistry on a pretty major scale, especially if we drank daily for a long period of time. In essence, your brain is literally waking back up...and it takes some time for it to happen - years of abuse don't just get undone in a few weeks unfortunately.

The good news of course is that it will definitely improve over time. Hope you can stick around SR and join us for some conversation.

Dee74 01-04-2018 01:35 PM

Congrats on nearly 3 months Cosima - welcome to SR :)

D

Cosima11 01-04-2018 11:06 PM

Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Cappy76 (Post 6733358)
Im only on 3 days the longest ive been with no alcohol in about 24 years is 6 weeks. The longest I stopped last year my worst year in my life is 3 weeks.
I don't even know what its like I can't remember what its like to be totally sober for 3 months, but I want to know, so im going to find out.

3 days is still something, just hang in there.. if you've done it before you can do it again.

Cosima11 01-04-2018 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6733512)
The "brain fog" is very common in early sobriety. Alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so it literally changes our brain chemistry on a pretty major scale, especially if we drank daily for a long period of time. In essence, your brain is literally waking back up...and it takes some time for it to happen - years of abuse don't just get undone in a few weeks unfortunately.

Yeah I already feel much better than I did in the first month or so, but there are still some days when it's just like holy s*** this whole actually having to feel my emotions thing is just too much.

And weirdly I seemed to have more motivation when I was drinking (although it was never consistent). For now I'm just sticking to my boring routine and hoping I'll re-gain the energy to make other positive changes this year.

Stayingsassy 01-04-2018 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cosima11 (Post 6734579)
Yeah I already feel much better than I did in the first month or so, but there are still some days when it's just like holy s*** this whole actually having to feel my emotions thing is just too much.

And weirdly I seemed to have more motivation when I was drinking (although it was never consistent). For now I'm just sticking to my boring routine and hoping I'll re-gain the energy to make other positive changes this year.

yes. All of this. Thanks for posting.

Also it's an inside job. Its not something we go around talking about to people, so a lot of it is looking calm on the outside with the pain and confusion brewing on the inside.

EliL 01-05-2018 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Cosima11 (Post 6733221)
Hello, I've been sober for 84 days now. I made a couple half hearted attempts before but truly wasn't ready to quit until now. I work in a bar so I've pretty much had to face my fears of being in "that environment" head on. I don't go to meetings and I'm pretty socially isolated but I'm ok with that, you really find out who your friends are through this.

It’s like stepping out of a time machine! That can be depressing but I guess on the flip side we have gotten to step out at some point!

Sunny27 01-05-2018 06:45 AM

Well done. Your story is very familiar. I also tried several times before deciding it's now or never. I never attended meetings. I was six years sober on New Years day.

Keep going!! I love my life now. Wishing you the very best 😊

waynetheking 01-05-2018 06:55 PM

Just keep going and don't look back. Your doing fine. It's going to get better and easier as time goes. Trust us, please.
Hi I'm Wayne, welcome to SR!