Notices

stopped drinking today..

Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stopped drinking today..

I'm sure I have no new stories and alot of other people have it worse, but just finding it difficult to get through the night. Stopped drinking earlier, after a week, before that I didn't drink for a month and felt pretty good. now i'm back feeling horrible, with pains in my side and chest..
Old 01-02-2018, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JJ9

Great job rainviews! Today is day 2 for me so hearing that you previously had a month sober is very encouraging! I agree it is very difficult but we can do this! Let’s get healthy and sober in 2018! It will be the best year ever!!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rain, good for you for making this decision !!!

The first few days and probably weeks will be tough. Depending on your typical drinking behavior, it might take a while to feel normal. I was a binge drinker, so even if I didn't drink for months at a time, a few days lost to bottles of vodka meant a very difficult few weeks following the binge. It has even meant hospital stays because of withdrawal. If the pains persist or get worse, definitely go to your doctor or the ER. It's always worth it to catch anything early, and you'll feel better faster!
Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hi rainviews....your name makes me think of my town
way to go on the decision and showing up here!
participating daily on a forum was a huge part of my early sobriety and immeasurably helpful.
since you've one this before , you will know that the first little while is usually the worst .
maybe use the edgy time to check out the different ways people go about doing this sobriety-thing or check out a few meetings in person in your neighbourhood, no matter what stripe.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi rainviews - everyones story is important here

the support in this place really helps - come check out our January Support thread - all you need to do to join is post Everyone
welcome

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-2018-a-4.html
D
Old 01-02-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the supportive words..the past two years have not been good, and especially the last six months. Its nearly 4am here and feel really alone, its comforting to know some people are going or gone through the same thing
Old 01-03-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hope you are feeling a bit better today?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

How are you getting on today? The fort few days can be really rough. Just push on through and get yourself to the doctor if you start to feel really unwell. I know it can be scary but it's better than not going.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not great to be honest. I think I've really damaged my health, and relationship. I’m going to a doctor tomorrow and will request some scans, hopefully there is nothing really serious ( worried about chronic pancreatitis), then in a few days I can make some decisions because something needs to change.

Thanks for your concern
Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was feeling a little bit better then i went on the family and friends forum, i really don't deserve to feel good at all
Old 01-03-2018, 11:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

We all deserve to happy, joyous and free. Don't beat yourself up, the booze has done that already.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Rain...ofcourse you deserve to be hopeful, confident and sober. It's not like you murdered someone. I'm a professional vodka binge drinker. Years. The s**tty feelings get bearable with each hour/day. Even though I've gone thru acute withdrawal many times this one has been the worst. I'm finishing up Day 9 finally didn't sleep till 2pm and finally bathed...ugh and got groceries. I honestly could not have done that yesterday. So glad you joined SR you'll get support from great people. You're brave to get your butt to the Dr. I'm proud of you, most including me are too scared and put it off . Some friends have had pancreatitis and they all described the pain as unbearable and went to emerg so in my uneducated opinion you do not have it. Best of luck
Old 01-04-2018, 02:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome rainViews.
The pains will ease up in a few days.

Isnt it mad the torture we put ouvselves through !
Take care and post and read all you can...

The support here really helps (me anyway)
Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sober style

Good job on quitting, rainviews. It can be tough sledding at first but it's worth the trouble.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rainviews View Post
I was feeling a little bit better then i went on the family and friends forum, i really don't deserve to feel good at all
Why would you think that? We've all done things we're ashamed of otherwise we wouldn't be here. But the others are right, we all deserve to be free of alcohol and be happy. I understand the guilt and shame, I really do, but while they shouldn't be ignored outright, don't let them overwhelm you. They're a natural albeit unpleasant part of recovery. Just keep going
Old 01-04-2018, 09:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

rainviews,
i think it's crucial to come to see, understand, accept and amend damage we have caused others, but the first little while sober finding and using support to stay sober is likely a more helpful place to focus.
my suggestion would be not to read in F+F right now if it just leaves you beating yourself into the ground.
just put one foot in front of the other right now to stay sober.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi rainviews,

In my first couple weeks of sobriety I just couldn't think about all that. It was too much. Just getting sober is completely overwhelming. Try to simply focus on that. After all, if you are getting sober, you are correcting the one thing you need to do to heal up the people you love, so just do the one thing. Time will come later for the rest.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Any day without a drink is a good day don't count how long just write it down and think about the day you are living in.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

how are you doing, rainviews?
Old 01-06-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congrats on your decision to quit. Seeing a doctor is a good idea. The first time I quit cold turkey I had all sort of physical issues as well as intense anxiety. In about a month I felt 99% better.