Notices

Food binge to food coma

Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Food binge to food coma

Not working lately and everyone's on vacation until Monday.

I've always known I had problems with eating but this is unreal. This feels like my exact pattern before with too many days off work, just subtract alcohol and insert sugar and carbs.

Sleep until 10:30 or noon. Wake up. Drink 4 to five cups of coffee. Do a few chores. Start binging around 3. Keep binging until bed. Wake up around 3 am feeling sick. Sleep until noon again.

I'm tired all the time. My face is swollen, my skin looks terrible, I can't make it to the gym, my body aches, and I've put on 20 pounds.

I know how to do a "quit". I don't know what it's called, but its when eating disordered people started eating three meals a day, only nutrition no reward foods, and they begin an abstinent diet.

This scares me because an abstinent diet triggers alcohol cravings and I don't know what that will do to me right now, but I can't live like this.

Just thought I'd give you a window into transferred addictions and what it looks like, even when it doesn't involve illicit substances. I do not feel sober right now and to my body and brain, I am not.

I'm headed to disneyland today. In case you were wondering its like Vegas for food addicts. Ill be back Friday and on that day ill begin to tackle this, without starting drinking again. Wish me all the luck. All my personal luck anyway, all of you who need it can keep yours!
Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((sass))

May you stop beating yourself up in 2018.

It's a process, I get where you're at. You will figure this out. Time takes time.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have no advice but just wanted to let you know that you aren’t alone. When I’m drinking I stick to a pretty strict paleo diet. When I’m not drink all hell breaks lose on my food habits. Up until New Year’s Eve I was on 2 weeks sober and when I was visiting my mom even she was shocked by how much I ate. I don’t usually like sugar (salt and fried is my downfall) but I was eating all of the Christmas candy and cookies at her house. My family is Italian so we have a huge Italian meal on Christmas and I ate so much pasta that I felt terrible. Also I feel for you on going to Disneyland , we have annual passes and go every couple weeks. It’s so hard to resist the food there, have fun and don’t worry about the healthy eating until you get back. I always justify my unhealthy snacks at Disneyland by saying “well I’m walking a lot! Burning calories” 😂
Old 01-02-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
I have no advice but just wanted to let you know that you aren’t alone. When I’m drinking I stick to a pretty strict paleo diet. When I’m not drink all hell breaks lose on my food habits. Up until New Year’s Eve I was on 2 weeks sober and when I was visiting my mom even she was shocked by how much I ate. I don’t usually like sugar (salt and fried is my downfall) but I was eating all of the Christmas candy and cookies at her house. My family is Italian so we have a huge Italian meal on Christmas and I ate so much pasta that I felt terrible. Also I feel for you on going to Disneyland , we have annual passes and go every couple weeks. It’s so hard to resist the food there, have fun and don’t worry about the healthy eating until you get back. I always justify my unhealthy snacks at Disneyland by saying “well I’m walking a lot! Burning calories” 😂
I have passes with my 11 year old, only she and i go. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm apparently still flip flopping addictions right now with drink-fast over and sober-binge in full force, this is not sobriety, this is just an elongated part of my addicted cycle.

Friday I'm going to take care of this.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ahhhhh, sugar...sugar is my new addiction!!

I lost almost 4 stones a couple of years ago WHILE drinking! I got used to eating very healthily and saving myself for my drinks in the evening, and it worked!! The past month I've found my weight creeping back up which is frustrating as I worked so hard to lose the weight. BUT I figure I can lose the weight much easier than I could kick the booze again. I'm giving myself a bit of a break at the moment, being kind to myself, before I tackle the evil sugar!

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2018, 01:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hear you Sassy! The food is hard, especially at this time of year. I haven't exercised in a few weeks and I've been eating too much..... all I want to do is hibernate like a bear. Seriously though, don't beat yourself up too much, just worry about staying away from alcohol and in time the food issues will settle down.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I'm apparently still flip flopping addictions right now with drink-fast over and sober-binge in full force, this is not sobriety, this is just an elongated part of my addicted cycle.
This is quite common actually Sassy. So first off know you aren't alone in any sense. Specific to the "cross-addictions", have you given any thought to actively treating it? There's lots of ways - therapy, counseling, reading, step work, self help, etc. Just like drinking/alcoholism specifically, it's important to acknowledge the problem before you can find the solution, right?
Old 01-02-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is quite common actually Sassy. So first off know you aren't alone in any sense. Specific to the "cross-addictions", have you given any thought to actively treating it? There's lots of ways - therapy, counseling, reading, step work, self help, etc. Just like drinking/alcoholism specifically, it's important to acknowledge the problem before you can find the solution, right?
This problem worsening the way it is has given me more thoughts about step work, for sure. I think it would be wise to consider incorporating it into my plans especially if I don't want to pay for a therapist.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
This problem worsening the way it is has given me more thoughts about step work, for sure. I think it would be wise to consider incorporating it into my plans especially if I don't want to pay for a therapist.
When you really boil it down, many of the concepts you learn in step work, therapy, and self help area essentially the same thing. I think there is benefit to each and many people do multiple/all of the above.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know this will go nowhere...but you really ought to get at least a blood panel to see if there’s an underlying health condition that withdrawal is masking.

Hey, if nothing else, do it just so you can have the satisfaction of telling me all is well and to STFU?

Old 01-03-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Sass, you're not drinking. That's #1.

I'm having a hard time going back to keto. I just ate a small square of chocolate. "I deserve it, I worked out today."

It's what we do.

You probably let down your guard at Christmas and are having a hard time getting back into healthy eating. I'm going through this too.

Enjoy Disneyland. My friend goes all the time (she grew up here), and she has her distinct food path that she always follows!

You've got your whole life to diet.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sassy,
Best news: The Keto diet has been ranked last on a list of diet plans for 2018: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-di...an-dash-diets/
Their main criticism is that Keto is not sustainable long-term and also a concern for people with liver conditions. The DASH diet and the Mediterrean diet are a tie for first place.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know what you're going through. I gained 35 pounds my first year sober and haven't been able to drop them yet. This year I am taking sugar, ice cream, candy, cake, pie, and any other yummy sweets from my diet. I have four days so far and I am exercising the same as usual. I've dropped three pounds. crazy how much sugar I was ingesting.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mac4711 View Post
Sassy,
Best news: The Keto diet has been ranked last on a list of diet plans for 2018: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/best-di...an-dash-diets/
Their main criticism is that Keto is not sustainable long-term and also a concern for people with liver conditions. The DASH diet and the Mediterrean diet are a tie for first place.
Sorry, didn’t mean to say ‘best news’, I meant ‘bad news’. My bad!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done4today View Post
I know what you're going through. I gained 35 pounds my first year sober and haven't been able to drop them yet. This year I am taking sugar, ice cream, candy, cake, pie, and any other yummy sweets from my diet. I have four days so far and I am exercising the same as usual. I've dropped three pounds. crazy how much sugar I was ingesting.
Similar cravings here, especially for ice cream! Slowly getting better, though - I am also trying to take sugar off the table, but it’s hard...
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I didn't drink so it worked for me and had a lot of stomach aches from the Ice cream. I wouldn't recommend it. Wish I would have ate healthy fruits and juices instead. Oh well, it's in the past.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I know 3 doctors and a dietician on keto. Lots of misinformation in that article.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
I know 3 doctors and a dietician on keto. Lots of misinformation in that article.
What do you think about the sustainability concern? Keto seems similar to Atkins and all the people I’ve known that did that diet did great for 2-3 months and then fell off a cliff. For how long have you on Keto?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I've been on it for 4 months. A really good friend with cancer was given 8 months to live. They put her on keto, chemo, radiation and magnets on her head. It's almost 4 years later. Something is working. I cooked for her for a bit, so I got my keto introduction before it was trendy (again).

There is strict classical or standard keto, and three modifications. In standard you remain in ketosis continuously and only eat the standard macronutrient ratios based your weight goals and activity levels (more activity means more protein in relation to fat). This is the most restricted and probably the hardest to maintain.

Targeted keto allows an extra 20-50 gms of carbs, generally high glycemic and glucose based, 30/60 minutes prior to exercise, and a high protein meal afterwards. Sometimes I take a spoonful of honey or eat some dark chocolate before a workout. If you do this correctly you also stay in ketosis.

Cyclic keto means you carb load for a prescribed amount of days in a prescribed period of time. This works really well for bodybuilders.

Both of these relax the strict carb limits but both mean you have to be seriously working out....resistance training to muscle failure 4x a week at least and/or 2 1/2 hours of mixed moderate and strenuous cardio per week, so like 4 days of 45 minutes. I do both of these things for now, so I can have some carbs before workouts.

I don't find it hard to comply with. I'm allowed all of the leafy veggies that I want, in fact you kind of need to do this to keep you regular, as well as other kinds of fiber. The good news is that you feel very satiated when you eat high fat/protein meals.

What you're basically not eating is sugar and starch. Sugar is obviously not healthy, and starches turn to sugar fairly quickly once digested. The glycemic load for whole grains is not that much better than refined, especially brown rice vs. white rice. Carbs are like crack to me, and they're very hard to moderate (sound familiar)? so it's easier if I just take them mostly off the table. But my energy level is steadier on keto and that's a huge plus.

I cheated like hell at Christmas for a week and have tapered off carbs. If don't do cheat days but I do cheat meals (or snacks) about once a month. Not a huge amount of carbs, but maybe something a bit higher than normal like fruit.

I don't think I will do this forever, but will continue to limit my carbs, just not this strictly all the time.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I've been to OA, and they don't advise what to was per se. But they did say that in their own experience it was easier not to binge eat when they avoided certain trigger foods. I don't do so well on this myself. I make my hope trigger food free for the most part, but then school and 'life' seems to be a danger area. Before Christmas I was doing pretty good, then Christmas has been a nightmare, and now it's massively hard to get back in the mindset. OA meetings are so hard to get to. Maybe I'll have to start reading their daily reflection each day again to get focussed in.

To be honest though, the food is never going to be as dangerous for me (personally) as the alcohol was. Last night we had to have our little cat put to sleep . We've had her for 25 years. Almost as long as we've been together. It was very sad. But we supported each other. I refused to fall into the pit of self pity I'd have done before. It's not poor cat or poor us. 25 years of health and love. Lucky cat. Lucky us. To expect more really was unrealistic and pretty greedy. We got a lot of cat when we got her.one of my friends said she was a dog-cat because she'd fetch ball and the like (when she was younger). Anyway - i digress. I did NOT drink. But pizza was ordered. And I ate 2 bars of chocolate. So not great. I was definitely eating like an addict. But that's still better than drinking. I suppose food may always be a buffer at crunch time. But I'm going to see if I can 'just for today' it, just as I did alcohol. Can i , today, eat three healthy meals and avoid my trigger foods for snack. Yep, reckon so. Just for today. And I'll deal with tomorrow tomorrow. Xx

Just For Today

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be happy. This assumes to be true what Abraham Lincoln said, Most people are as happy as they make up their minds to be....

JUST FOR TODAY I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my LUCK as it comes and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will try to strengthen my mind. I will study. I will learn something useful. I will read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY I will exercise my soul in three ways: I will do somebody a good turn, and not get found out; if anybody knows of it ,it will not count. I will do at least two things I don't want to do--just for exercise. I will not show anyone that my feelings are hurt; they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be agreeable. I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticize not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests: hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour, some time, I will try to get a better perspective of my life.

JUST FOR TODAY I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.

Take care. Remember, it's pointless ruminating about yesterday. Or stressing about tomorrow. Our power lay in today. In NOW.

BB