Old 01-04-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep it goign Tonesward

D
Old 01-05-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Still going. Day 5

Thanks all. Still going. Insomnia and then vivid nightmares last night. I sleep like a baby when I'm drunk so that was new.
Day 5 today. Feeling tired and it's Friday and that used to mean vodka till I pass out. Got to redefine my Fridays I realize
Anyway im still in control
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get better Tonesward

D
Old 01-06-2018, 02:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by tonesward View Post
Thanks all. Still going. Insomnia and then vivid nightmares last night. I sleep like a baby when I'm drunk so that was new.
Day 5 today. Feeling tired and it's Friday and that used to mean vodka till I pass out. Got to redefine my Fridays I realize
Anyway im still in control
Come talk to us on Fridays I know Friday is one of my serious triggers after a hard days work all sweaty n dirty jump in the shower sculling down beers.
Now im just going to come here and try to help others.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:43 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome back! 1968 was a great year. Your kids are at some fun ages and you should get to enjoy that with them. It will be 5 years for me on my 50th this year. You won't regret taking care of this no matter how difficult the first part gets.
Old 01-06-2018, 08:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work Tones. I turned 50 last april and now 2.5 years sober. I have faith in you and it just took us a little longer to get it figured out.....
Peace....
TC
Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

Quitting has turned the clock back for me. I am mid 50's and feel better than I did in my 20's.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 7

Thanks all so much for the incredible support. It means a lot to know that others understand. My wife is still highly doubtful that I can ever make this change and is basically waiting for me to fail at this stage. And I've failed to really give up every single time so far so I get where she's coming from. But something about this time feels different. For one thing I know now that this isn't just a break. This is forever. It has to be. Anyway I'm feeling strong and looking after myself and this is all new
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

It's never too late for a new life. My Dad was 51 when he quit. He spent the rest of his life (31 years) sober. You CAN do this!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:04 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad you keep checking in. You can do this. Just as an extra note, besides SR, you don't have to do this alone - for me, IRL support and a plan of action, a program (mine is AA- the are other options for successful recovery folks around here can share with you) - critical to my life in recovery.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Keep it up buddy. We'll support you here!
What's your plan for sobriety this time? Can you share with us?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

It's never to late for a fresh start!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good for you, do it for your kids! Im at 8 months and could be happier, its a game changer for you when you decide to quit, everything changes for the better, you probably already know that , just need to push yourself.
Your kids see everything , so keep that in mind. Your their inspiration as well and vise versa......
Stick with it and if you need help reach out!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 9

Still going strong though eating a lot of sweets and chocolate in the evenings and suffering insomnia every night.
I realize boredom is quite a strong trigger. Without alcohol I'm having to reinvent my evenings which is making me more productive but also more tired though I still can't sleep properly.
Got a big test coming up this weekend as I'm working with a former drinking partner who doesn't yet know that I have quit. She's a wine drinker and we used to get through 4 to 5 bottles together while watching game of thrones after work. Anyway I'm doing a migration with her this weekend so will have to think about how to handle it. I tried quitting 3 times before Xmas and each time she got me drinking again. I'm not really concerned though. It feels very different this time. I will see now whether we are friends or just drinking partners
Old 01-10-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Plan for sobriety

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Keep it up buddy. We'll support you here!
What's your plan for sobriety this time? Can you share with us?
Interesting question. I don't have one. Maybe I need to think more about this. My only plan is stop drinking. If you mean joining a group I think that for me that won't work as I travel a lot. Anyway it's got me thinking
Old 01-10-2018, 09:14 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I'm 49 on day 8. I have been drinking all day every day for about 16 years. I plan to be trim, healthy and sober for my 50th birthday when I celebrate it with my fantastic teenage daughters in October. Can't wait to spend the rest of my life NEVER seeing the scared disappointed looks on their faces again. You done good coming here!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi tonesward, you've made the right decision. It doesn't take long to redefine your weekends. Like you, Friday nights for me were oblivion night for many years and you become accustomed to it. If you change the Friday routine it takes a few months for your AV to adjust, but adjust it does. You have to be a bit creative regarding how to fill the drinking time but it can be done, relatively easily. There are far more options now for having fun, soberly when you start to think it through. Good luck, mate.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
zjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAsp4rn9QnM

when your wife thinks you can stay sober. Think of that!!

I get pissed off when people tell me what i cant do! its like they are just asking for me to do it all the more!.

Good job so far I love threads like this!