Notices

Bored and depressed on day 8

Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

Bored and depressed on day 8

Went to AA, but I’m always feeling depressed. I don’t want to drink, but I don’t want to just sit around and eat either.
Since it is New Year’s Eve, nothing is open .
Old 12-31-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I just went to sleep and my partner woke me to say happy new year. You'll have a few depressed days I imagine, I certainly have, but they'll pass.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Samantha

Yeah I had a 2 hour nap as well. I’m awake now and I want to go out but it’s -40c so I won’t get too far without a ride.
I’ll probably just stuff myself and go to bed early.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Anarock could you put on a few layers, step outside, maybe walk a bit or just stand in your yard, take in the world around you?
I have started enjoying that again when it was -50C with the windchill the other night, I was still bundled up from running out earlier, so I stood outside for a bit and looked at things around me.
Life at that temperature, the world, the air... everything takes on a new dimension
it's cool
I also love naps... it's -40 here too and 8pm and I won't make it til midnight, and that's ok with me.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Anarock could you put on a few layers, step outside, maybe walk a bit or just stand in your yard, take in the world around you?
I have started enjoying that again when it was -50C with the windchill the other night, I was still bundled up from running out earlier, so I stood outside for a bit and looked at things around me.
Life at that temperature, the world, the air... everything takes on a new dimension
it's cool
I also love naps... it's -40 here too and 8pm and I won't make it til midnight, and that's ok with me.
Roger that.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Feeling bored or depressed is normal, happens to everyone at some time or another. Just as long as you don't drink, it's ok to be bored or depressed for a little while. Distract yourself with something.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
it's cool
I did walk home from AA and a couple other places in a short time, but not much.
Bf is so upset that I’m this depressed he offered me a glass of champagne 😂
Old 01-02-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Anarock,

How have things been? How was the rest of your evening? I hope you were able to find some healthy distractions from the boredom and depression. Like some of the other folks in the thread have said, those states of being are pretty normal after getting off the sauce.

I don't want to pry too much, but is the feeling of depression more a feeling of exhaustion, that gets better after a nap? It sounds silly, but I would a lot of times have feelings like this that would improve after a nap. If I would try to push through, I was SALTY/unable to handle just about everything. A nap, of any length would at least get me straightened out to some extent. A lot of times I'd say 'screw it' and get to bed early if the time was close enough.

I hope things are well and that you're finding some fun, healthy distractions.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I’ve been thinking about this one! Addiction of any kind is the very BEST way I can think of to kill time, mask all normal feeling and behaviours; it really is self medicating! Of course then once the medication stops we have lots of times and feelings that we don’t particularly like as they are not familiar to us. Boredom is a great thing to a non-addict as there is only so long they can sit there for without doing something and even if they are scared of doing that something eventually boredom will push them to do it anyway OR they will accept the fact they feel bored as they are not willing or able to do something else. Of course our problem is we know there is a non-constructive cure for boredom! It’s not great and will kill us eventually but we won’t be bored anymore as it will change our mental state. So keep on going without alcohol and get some support.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a lot of people fiund depression is pisrt of not drinking for a while. We become deoendent on the false emphoria that drinking brings.

Stick with it - your mind and body will return to normal - this is not the best you will feel

D
Old 01-02-2018, 07:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Samantha

End of day 10. Feeling better than day 8.
Missed AA today due to work and bowling.