Notices

Addictive behaviour pattern

Old 12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addictive behaviour pattern

Hi all,
I've recently been noticing that i have what people may refer to as an addictive personality in that when I get rid of one addiction its only a matter of time before another one takes it place. Whilst I've never been into "hard drugs" because I have some level self preservation, I certainly have at all points in my life had an addiction, from smoking cigarettes, to pot, to alcohol and when my children were young and i couldn't partake in anything mind altering or that might hurt them like cigarette smoke, i was a "clean freak".

Obviously some obsessive compulsive tendencies that take the form of addiction rather then behaviours more commonly associated with OCD like hand washing or making sure things are locked or turned off. Mind you I understand that we are all in effect compulsive in certain ways and I've heard theories on that being a healthy way to function in today's society. Don't get me wrong i know I'm not alone in this, everyone I know has these behaviours, including young children. I'm just being a little reflective at the moment. I guess I just try to maintain this mindfulness and channel my efforts towards healthy lifestyle choices as opposed to ones that could harm myself or others and keep myself in check that the healthy behaviours aren't becoming obsessive to the point of detriment. for listening to my pondering.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Hi Whitelight,

I have the same thing too. I have a very hard time living a balanced life; if I get into something, be it 'doing/consumption/abstaining/etc. it's a lot of all or nothing. There's been some work done on OCD and how it can make folks prone to addictive behaviors, correct?

I've got OCD/GAD, it's kind of funny sometimes as I can see the absurdity of it, but it can be exhausting as well. (It has its perks too, if you can call it that. Annoying attention to detail.) I'm not sure if these are related to the 'all or nothing' ways of doing things, but having healthy outlets for these tendencies is a must! For me it used to be cycling. I'm still searching for the next outlet.

Do you find it difficult to focus on much else besides your new interest? I have to watch that I don't get lost or consumed by the next 'thing'. At least it won't be booze!

Have a wonderful day.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have had an addictive personality all my life. Whatever I am into it is all or nothing and it becomes an obsession.

Examples:

as a teen if I liked a rock band and had their latest record I would have to go out and buy every record in their back catalog - I would have to have access to everything they ever recorded.

when I discovered pot I couldn't just smoke an occasional joint - I bought it by the quarter pound and stayed stoned 24/7.

with alcohol I made it my life - I went to bars, breweries, wineries; I even when to bar tending school!! I made all my activities have things to do with drinking.

I have a handle on things now to a point but I do spend a massive amount of time at AA meetings (at least 10 a week) and I get there early and hang out after. AA is a positive thing but sometimes I neglect other things I need to get done.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My first sponsor called it "trading up addictions" and it's common to most alcoholics. We have addictive behavior because we're addicts! My drug of choice was alcohol but when I put that down I moved to spending money I didn't have (welcome to Debtor's Anonymous!), excessive ingestion of sugar (Overeaters Anonymous!). Until I got to work on myself, with the steps and therapy, I was in general a mess. It took decades to change.

I have a handle on things now to a point but I do spend a massive amount of time at AA meetings (at least 10 a week) and I get there early and hang out after. AA is a positive thing but sometimes I neglect other things I need to get done.
It took me a while to get the saying "anything you put before sobriety you'll loose" but I've experienced it personally. Always keep your sobriety first and everything else will work out. Sponsoring people keeps me sober now.......
Old 01-10-2018, 06:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your replies, all so on point. Im still struggling getter sober but the help ive been seeking is finally upon me. I see someone next week.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cellardweller View Post
Hi Whitelight,

I have the same thing too. I have a very hard time living a balanced life; if I get into something, be it 'doing/consumption/abstaining/etc. it's a lot of all or nothing. There's been some work done on OCD and how it can make folks prone to addictive behaviors, correct?

I've got OCD/GAD, it's kind of funny sometimes as I can see the absurdity of it, but it can be exhausting as well. (It has its perks too, if you can call it that. Annoying attention to detail.) I'm not sure if these are related to the 'all or nothing' ways of doing things, but having healthy outlets for these tendencies is a must! For me it used to be cycling. I'm still searching for the next outlet.

Do you find it difficult to focus on much else besides your new interest? I have to watch that I don't get lost or consumed by the next 'thing'. At least it won't be booze!

Have a wonderful day.
I have this issue too. Would this be considered an OCD issue?

I always think of OCD as crazy stuff, like my old boss, who wouldn’t touch door handles and had to wash his keys.

I also have obsessive ruminating and worrying issues.

I take an SSRI for depression and anxiety, but I will ask my doc about this OCD issue when I see him next week.