Notices

Quick question!

Old 12-24-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question!

It's x-mas eve. My brother-in-law filled my water glass with the wine. I didn't know. I took a sip. Realized is immediately, spit it on the rug, ran and washed my mouth out with water and listerine. I'm devastated (and humiliated). I was on day 14. Do I have to start over??!! It was NOT intentional and I didn't swallow. And I'm NOT drinking now. Please advise!
Old 12-24-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No worries, you are good to go! (just make sure there is no booze in your next glass)
Old 12-24-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No need to start over as it was purely accidental. Have you not told anyone you weren't drinking? And why would he fill your glass with wine without asking you if you wanted wine? That's kind of rude, I think.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Soberado

Not a big deal just keep an eye out for the drink pushers this time of year, if your worried about any contact with alcohol Listerine is loaded with it.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Just don't drink Now , and this now too, anytime it is now . Yeah?
Old 12-24-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Grateful

You're still sober. Things like this can happen, but your intent was not to drink, you spit it out and you immediately got rid of it. Just be aware that if people don't know you're not drinking they might just assume you wanted some wine. Maybe give the glass a little sniff test first if you're in a situation where there could be a mix up or misunderstanding.

BTW, Listerine has 26.9% alcohol in it's original formula...might want to look into some alcohol free mouthwashes.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Just don't drink Now , and this now too, anytime it is now . Yeah?
God I love this note. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm not drinking now, I'll never drink now, and I'll never change my mind. Not now...and not now.

And good to know on the listerine. Mouthwashes OUT.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This is a dangerous time of year....spiked punches, mixed up orders, etc. Purely an accident though, glad you came here to talk it through.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is a dangerous time of year....spiked punches, mixed up orders, etc. Purely an accident though, glad you came here to talk it through.
Thank you. I'm so relieved I've moved past it!
Old 12-24-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No. That was an honest mistake
Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Why fret? Did you drink? Of course not. Will you drink? Not on your life, if I understand your plan.

You have so many positive things to fill your mind, new goals, hopes and joys are just there in front of you, ready for you to take hold and never let go. Don’t give this negative thing any more energy. You know what doubt is, what the source of your question is, I’m pretty sure. Identify it, separate from it, then go do a thing, anything that is a good thing. Onward!
Old 12-25-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Why fret? Did you drink? Of course not. Will you drink? Not on your life, if I understand your plan.

You have so many positive things to fill your mind, new goals, hopes and joys are just there in front of you, ready for you to take hold and never let go. Don’t give this negative thing any more energy. You know what doubt is, what the source of your question is, I’m pretty sure. Identify it, separate from it, then go do a thing, anything that is a good thing. Onward!
I identified, separated, and moved on. Such a beautiful thing to wake up without a hangover. Wow. I mean, just wow. I love AVRT. I'm so grateful for it. I'm grateful for all my new tools. Day 15, but I don't even feel like counting anymore. This is just my new life.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You don't have to start over, that was unintentional. If you knew he "accidentally" put wine in your glass and drank it anyway, that's day 1 but otherwise it's as innocent as taking sore throat spray with some alcohol in it, but not obviously taking it for the drunk affect or using it in excess.. lol
Old 12-25-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

This sounds fantastic, SoHard. I think it’s time to start stretching out, engaging your whole self in new pastimes or old ones, trying healthy type activities for mind and body and soul, building new kinds of satisfaction. These will be things you can only do because you have quit your addiction. This is why you quit after all, huh? To have life and have it in abundance. Onward!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
This sounds fantastic, SoHard. I think it’s time to start stretching out, engaging your whole self in new pastimes or old ones, trying healthy type activities for mind and body and soul, building new kinds of satisfaction. These will be things you can only do because you have quit your addiction. This is why you quit after all, huh? To have life and have it in abundance. Onward!
You're right!! This is my plan!
Old 12-25-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was offered some ginger beer yesterday. I knew from the moment it touched my lips it was alcoholic.

I put the glass down, wiped my lips and reminded myself that my recovery is my responsibility.

I got my own drinks for the rest of the day.

Intent is everything.

D
Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't look back and keep going. Your doing fine.
Sobriety dates are great to remember. You didn't drink. So don't worry about it.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Don't look back and keep going. Your doing fine.
Sobriety dates are great to remember. You didn't drink. So don't worry about it.
Thanks Wayne!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Same thing happened to me on my first sober Christmas. Scared the crap out of me. Drank lots of water, washed my mouth out, felt kinda sick with fear for a while.

AA has a promise, "if tempted we recoil as if from a hot flame" which is in step 10 describing the recovered alcoholic's relationship with alcohol, and there is something about being filled with revulsion.

I wasn't tempted but I certainly recoiled and found the whole thing very upsetting. It wasn't a relapse, and I continued my journey in sobriety having learned that I need to be a little more vigilant about what is in my glass.

Your case sounds the same, no slip, good lesson learned.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SteelRes211 View Post
Not a big deal just keep an eye out for the drink pushers this time of year, if your worried about any contact with alcohol Listerine is loaded with it.
Yup....sure is.... I used to drink Listerine.... ....but you have nothing to worry about. You are still intact. It was an accident...and you didnt swallow any booze.... You are good...