Notices

I relapsed

Old 12-23-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I relapsed

Hey guys I am new here. For the past couple months I have attempted to drink just once a month. It worked...for the first month. In my life I have a few major problems. The first is I have no identity in modern day society. I have no job, no job history (****** up too many jobs in my early twenties, I am 26 now) I have no friends or acquaintences. I live with my girlfriend (of 8 years) and we have a little girl (who is 3 in January) I am trying so hard to find work but it literally seems as if I am being punished for the mistakes of my past. How can I prove that I have changed if I am never given the opportunity? I have made calls, applied to so many places, and tried to see if my girlfriend can get me working at the hospital she works at. It hurts me because I am not a bad person but I am treated as if I am a convict. They say "everyone gets their break" but I don't know. It's been months (close to a year) since I have been trying. I relapsed a few days ago and drank for 3 days. Of course I feel worse now. Now I have elevated my blood pressure. Does it usually go up for you guys when you binge drink? I'm hoping it will go down soon and I'm hoping I can get a ******* break for once. Send me some positive vibes. I just want to work a job and make my own money like a normal human being. Tired of living in the shadows.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Do you live in the US? If you live in the US maybe apply at a few temp agencies. Past work experience may not matter so much for temp work. Yes my blood pressure and heart rate always go up when I quit drinking. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, my blood pressure shot way up after binges.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble finding work. If you are in the US there are always healthcare jobs: maybe go back to school and learn a vocation, build up a reputation with fellow students and professors and start from ground zero in a career. I have many friends who have gone back to school, much older than you and they are now able to find work.

Drinking is never the answer though, it doesn't matter how low you feel, alcohol will bring you lower. WhIle you aren't working, focus time on that little girl, and on making things run smoothly around the home: that focus isn't just for women any more.
Old 12-24-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Drinking was murder on my blood pressure. It's a miracle I didn't have a stroke back then, I was like 200+ over 150+ at times.

Christian, it's good you're seeing the damages that drinking has brought to your life. Trying to cut back never worked for a lot of us here at SR, and we found that when we fully embraced a life free of all alcohol it paradoxically gave us the freedom to start living again.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If no one will employ you then employ yourself. Start your own business. Get busy and put yourself to work. Whatever your good at. Do it better and cheaper than the next guy and employ yourself. I was told early on that it only takes half a brain to be self employed. You just have to work hard. Put in long hours. "Hard work beats talent when talent isn't working hard" Believe me there is opportunity everywhere. You just have to sacrifice. Just like sobriety. It takes work to obtain it. You have to get into action. Massive amounts of action. This disease is not going down without a fight. And if nobody wants to "give" you a break, then get busy and create your own. That's reality.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Christian213

I feel for you I really do. I知 35 and I think a lot of my binge drinking was due to the fact I wasn稚 happy with work and felt I wasn稚 going anywhere. I知 nothing special but for years I just kept applying for a job I really wanted. Got turned down so many times.

Earlier this year I applied again. Managed to quit drinking, got the job. But then like an idiot had a drink.Back on day 10 now.

All I知 trying to say is be positive. I never thought I would get my break but I did and I知 a fair bit older than you. Just keep trying. I知 not going to ruin this opportunity for the sake of alcohol.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Christian

Some great ideas here,

I reckon the worst thing you could do us too continue to drink.

Focus on staying sober and filling out that CV.

we can certainly help you with the first bit

D
Old 12-26-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker also. My blood pressure was always elevated after my binges.

I have no idea how to help you with work. I would suggest you stay sober and work on sobriety. You'll see that everything else will work it's way out. Staying sober will save you money too.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

My career in Business Development for a great software company started with a temp agency.

I highly recommend it. You will have to "kiss a few toads" first; some of the jobs are crappy, but you don't have to select them. Manpower is great!
Old 12-28-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Christian?

D
Old 12-28-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I slipped a few days ago but not with alcohol, just a couple of puffs of weed. I let the voices in my head win. I haven't told anyone in person yet and i don't know how to feel. I'll just try to work the AA program like i should.

Also to the OP looking for work is a draining experience. I've been at the same job for years and feel stuck. Probably just time to do something outside the box.