Notices

Having surgery today and scared,

Old 12-19-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having surgery today and scared,

I know I have posted on here before about my back problems. The back pain and the insomnia and depression is caused is part of the reason I started drinking. The dr prescribed me pain medication that has acetaminophen . I usually avoid this at all costs because of my drinking . I had my liver enzymes checked a few months ago and they were completely fine. That was during my 30 days sober. Since then I’ve had a few slip ups with alcohol. Today I’m on day 6 clean no plan of every relapsing again . My question is, am I crazy for being terrified of taking these meds? Is it a logical fear or is it just my anxiety getting to me? I hate pain medicine so I plan on taking the smallest dose that they give me and getting off ASAP . Maybe this all sounds crazy? I have been diagnosed with medical/health anxiety. So this could be a form of that. I asked the dr about a different medication and he said nothing Motrin based is strong enough and the only other option he gave me was morphine which I’m allergic too. I know we can’t give medical advice but o guess my question is has anyone went on to take Tylenol based medicine successfully? I’m just trying to ease my anxiety a bit.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The crazy part is I’m more nervous about the medication and my liver than I am the actual surgery and anesthesia which is probably more likely to kill me .
Old 12-19-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So...you're having surgery?

Or you're worried about ongoing NSAIDS now or after? If your liver is okay medically...(?)

My liver enzymes are chronically elevated and have been for years. I take NSAIDS when I need them.

If you need pain relief, you need pain relief. I mean, chronic pain leads to a lot of other bigger problems.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's normal to be worried about going under - I'm always a little apprehensive, too.

Can you have someone go with you? Once they take you into the actual operation it all goes very quickly and my experience is that everything is very gentle and professional. You're going to be okay.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been taking Tylenol 3 for four weeks due to a running injury and had the same concern...fortunately, if anything, I found I don’t like taking them and do so reluctantly.

Good for you for being honest with your doctor! Now use that same honesty with yourself, yes? If you find you're lookng forward to the next dose (other than to relieve the physical pain) or are taking more than prescribed, throw on the brakes and call your doctor.

Good luck with your surgery. Sending you a hug.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m worried about taking Tylenol based medication which is known for being bad for your liver because of my history of alcoholism
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Okay, I get that - but your liver is fine according to tests.

Try to think about something else, like your last trip to the forest, or ducks or sunsets. Do you have pictures on your phone of places you've been? Look at those.

Also, maybe try some breathing exercises, here:

Box Breathing - Navy Seals
Old 12-19-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are low dose narcotics without tylenol. Docs give norco normally because it's the first thing given before morphine or oxycodone and the tylenol in it keeps people from abusing it.

Nsaids aren't normally given before surgery because of gi bleed risk which is why tylenol is considered safer, usually up to 4,000 gs in a 24 hr period.

Trust me you did far more damage while drinking than low dose tylenol can do, it's so funny how we will trash our livers with alcohol then freak out about details like this, I've done it too.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When my gallbladder went for a poop and I tried to convince every doctor in town to give me a second opinion that if I remained on a vegan and fat free diet for the rest of my life I could keep it, I was prescribed T2's. I was prescribed 100 and given dire warnings, I returned 80 something of them post surgery.

I try not to take pain killers because my poor liver has enough to do, however I do on occasion, when I have to, take them. I refused to take them after my last daughter was born until the nurse said, "honey they are for your swelling too". I rebounded 20lbs lighter and my swelling was gone in a week!

If your doctor knows your history with alcohol and still feels a tylenol based pill is best, you can take the advice or get a second opinion.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My liver tests were a few months ago and my AST/ALT were both 14. I guess I’m paranoid because I had a few binges since then. I asked my dr to test again but he said it’s unnecessary.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ugh all of this worry because of drinking.. another reason why I’m never going back to it
Old 12-19-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
There are low dose narcotics without tylenol. Docs give norco normally because it's the first thing given before morphine or oxycodone and the tylenol in it keeps people from abusing it.

Nsaids aren't normally given before surgery because of gi bleed risk which is why tylenol is considered safer, usually up to 4,000 gs in a 24 hr period.

Trust me you did far more damage while drinking than low dose tylenol can do, it's so funny how we will trash our livers with alcohol then freak out about details like this, I've done it too.
This is so true!!! Haha, my prescription is 650 gs of norco/Tylenol every 4-6 hours. The first thing I thought was “oh no! My liver” meanwhile last year at my worst I drinking almost a full bottle of vodka a day and told myself my liver would be fine.. drunk logic
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My question is, am I crazy for being terrified of taking these meds? Is it a logical fear or is it just my anxiety getting to me?
imo, yes, logical,healthyfear.
ive been through 6 surgeries in recovery- all to carve out cancer and 2 of them quite serious. although pills werent my thing when i was drinking, i still had a fear/conern about them. my sponsor suggested i talk with the surgeons and doctors about my concern. i was very blessed to have a medical staff that understood my concern. post surgery they were going to start me on the lowest possible medication to not take away the pain, but manage it( the 2 major surgeries were ones where just motrin or tylenol would not be enough).
post surgery, after discharge from the hospital, i kept my sponsor informed of what and how i was taking them.
all through it, i kept in touch with my sponsor and the surgeon and their staff kept in contact with me to see how i was doing and when it was time to dose down,not just stop completely but lower the doses of the meds, the medical staff let me know.

in short, i had a fear/conern. but i was open and honest with the medical staff, had the right motive for taking the meds, and had some people to keep me in check.
one thing i did do that was not very smart:
the 2 major surgeries- 3 days out on both of them i decided i didnt need the pain meds any more. i wasnt realizing that the pain meds were doing their job.
about 8-10 hours later- both times in the middle of the night- i woke up in excruciating pain. so much so i was crying.
it was a bugger getting the pain back under control and managable.

prayers to ya to get through this. keep in contact here,eh?
Old 12-19-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
I’m worried about taking Tylenol based medication which is known for being bad for your liver because of my history of alcoholism
Alcohol is bad for your liver. Did it stop you from drinking it?

But Tylenol....Oh, that's bad, you don't want to take it. Funny how addiction lets one substance through the gate, but reason won't let another.

Rightly or wrongly, you have a concern about a medically prescribed regime of Tylenol. These concerns should be brought to your doctor, along with your drinking history.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
This is so true!!! Haha, my prescription is 650 gs of norco/Tylenol every 4-6 hours. The first thing I thought was “oh no! My liver” meanwhile last year at my worst I drinking almost a full bottle of vodka a day and told myself my liver would be fine.. drunk logic
Are you on 5's or 10's? If you are on 5's you can switch to one 10/325 every 4-6 which cuts your tylenol dose per 24 hours in half.

Sorry, not supposed to give medical advice....
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful

I've had 2 major surgeries (open heart surgeries). I was ~7 years sober when I had the first one and was actively drinking when I had the 2nd one. After the first surgery in 2004 I had some complications with my sternum (they have to get through it to get to the heart) and ended up getting addicted to opiates. This was partially the cause of my relapse after 7 years sober. As opiates became harder to obtain (surgeon cut me off) I started drinking again. This lead to 8 more years of drinking until I got sober again in April of 2013.

I had my 2nd heart surgery in 2011 and was completely up front about my drinking with my surgeon as well as my past abuse of opiates (we even chose which type of valve replacement I would get based on my drinking). By me being honest with him about my past issues with opiates and my current (at the time) issue with drinking I was off of all opiates within about 10 days of the surgery (pretty fast for that type of surgery). I went on to drink for 2 more years before getting sober, but by being open and honest with my doctors I avoided making things worse.