Notices

Looking younger

Old 12-19-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking younger

Starting to lean out and my skin looks like nothing anything in a jar could have given me while drinking.

Ok, this part I like.

I forgot the months it takes for your liver to really get back to work!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was pretty shocked about how much better I looked in the weeks following my quit. One day I stepped on the scale and 5lbs had disappeared, another 5 last week and I am not necessarily doing anything exciting, but I have more energy to burn and I think that helps.

I am like many women my age, in my socio-economic class and I have begun my descent down the rabbit hole of cosmetic work. Fillers last week, laser resurfacing this week. It was a different doctor for the laser, she saw my complexion and said, OMG, do you know how bad you are going to look at first? (I am Casper white) I said, I know it won't be pretty, she said, but then you are going to look so amazing! As I sit here swollen and like a burn victim, I pray she was right She was sincerely (I had already paid LOL) complimenting me on my skin and it has come leaps and bounds since I quit drinking!

Add in mental clarity and pride in my quit, that makes for a pretty good glow.

Even if my kid did tell me, "maybe you can wear a mask or something to my Christmas Concert tonight".
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love reading posts like this! It gives me just another thing to look forward to about sobriety. During the worst part of my “drunk phase” I put on almost 30lbs .. more than I did with ANY of my 3 pregnancies. I had a 30 day sober period and did a WHOLE 30 cleanse diet and lost 20 of those pounds and my skin started looking younger. Unfortunately I relapsed and I’m on day 6 but looking forward to losing that last 10 lbs.. and hopefully a glow to my skin. I’ll be 37 in a few weeks and I need it
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I certainly understand the appeal of cosmetic work, it's been a challenge to accept that I look like I'm in my late forties, yet I still am given enough positive attention that I figure in look my age but in a good way. The neck never lies. Haha!

We are putting two out of three kids through college right now so that they can be debt free. Our oldest will graduate with an electrical engineering degree in spring, no debt. She helped by getting a scholarship, but still those payments took away any cosmetic surgery money I could ever hope for....I told the husband to get my neck done would only be $12,000, but since that Hollywood acting gig isn't happening anytime soon I won't be worrying about it
Old 12-19-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I look completely different than I did when I was drinking. I look so much younger!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I certainly understand the appeal of cosmetic work, it's been a challenge to accept that I look like I'm in my late forties, yet I still am given enough positive attention that I figure in look my age but in a good way. The neck never lies. Haha!

We are putting two out of three kids through college right now so that they can be debt free. Our oldest will graduate with an electrical engineering degree in spring, no debt. She helped by getting a scholarship, but still those payments took away any cosmetic surgery money I could ever hope for....I told the husband to get my neck done would only be $12,000, but since that Hollywood acting gig isn't happening anytime soon I won't be worrying about it
That is awesome that you guys are doing that for your kids! We have 3 little ones and are saving up to buy a house, which living in California seems damn near impossible. We have always rented. So no money for cosmetic things for me either. I asked for Botox for Christmas haha.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
That is a wonderful thing to do! It's the best gift parents can give their kids!

I am really looking forward to getting back on my bike this spring, doing it in the house on a trainer isn't the same. Even when I abstained because I knew I had a big ride coming up, it took a long time for the feeling of burning excess off in my legs to go away, there was always a soreness to the muscles that wasn't there if it had been a few weeks without alcohol.

I love looking at those one year alcohol free pictures, or the before and afters, it is an amazing change in people.

I have a bunch of stuff launching with my business and it's an election year here, so I am really looking forward to not ducking out during photo calls or only doing radio interviews LOL
Old 12-19-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Botox for xmas: brilliant. Why didn't I think of that?

Yes, not drinking not only affords dignity and a more relaxed countenance...there's no way to buy the dewy glow that sobriety brings.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
That is awesome that you guys are doing that for your kids! We have 3 little ones and are saving up to buy a house, which living in California seems damn near impossible. We have always rented. So no money for cosmetic things for me either. I asked for Botox for Christmas haha.
We live in CA...bought our home in 1998 though! Real estate is nuts here.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My face has changed a lot since I quit. Skin texture completely different. My complection is entirely different.

My face used to be bloated, skin looked rough, red blotchy complection.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At 14 months sober I am looking and feeling good.

I am 54 years old but nobody ever believes me. Most people tell me they think I am in my 40's and I have even heard late 30's. I guess 27 years of daily drinking preserved me.

I am about 75 pounds overweight - if I can just get that under control I would look and feel even better.

My grandfathers lived to 100 and 92 and my father is 80 and in decent shape; old age runs in my family on both sides.
Old 12-19-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wish I could find this old picture of me taken a few months before I got sober in 1986. My face was puffy, almost square. That was Easter Sunday.

Next time I had my picture taken was around Christmas--totally different! I was hot, for sure. Well, at least in my opinion (smile).

But what is even more important is how I've changed on the inside. I went from an unhappy, scared, miserable, and depressed person to someone who is "happy, joyous and free".
Old 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
. My face was puffy, almost square.

I recently found a picture of myself I took 2 years ago the morning after I got drunk, passed out in my chair, and fell forward busting my nose and getting a nasty rug burn on my forehead.

That picture helps me stay sober.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I’ve been sober a little over a year. I lost 30 pounds in the first 6 months.Not drinking and eating tons of carbs to think they would make my hangovers better( which it never did) I’ve maintained that weight loss and don’t really diet. A huge bonus to being sober
Old 12-19-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had so many people tell me I looked better after 6 months. I look at some of my photos before I quit. It's like I'm a different person. The poison really takes a toll on our body's. Especially the skin. I'm so glad we're all here folks. This disease is disastrous all around.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your skin will never lie. Anything you put in your body will show on your skin, in larger or smaller degrees.

When I stop eating sugar and wheat, my facial skin tightens and the wrinkles are less evident.

I saw an article once either by an aesthetician or a plastic surgeon, can't remember which...and he could tell when his clients quit drinking right when they walked in the door. He said after about 3-4 weeks he'd notice it and say "you've quit drinking!!" Before a word was out of their mouths.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What a great reminder.

Just another plus.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So true, so true! According to everyone else, I have never looked better in my life. According to me, I have never felt better. Win-win (I think I look pretty good too!).

My body is so capable now- a 5K is no prob (my husband and I did one a month this year) and I love how hot yoga (a lot of it!) makes me feel. Even on the "bad" days.

We just got married Dec 1 and (at 22 mo sober and full of the promises of AA and living a life together in recovery every day) I know I've never been better in any way because every aspect of my life is in coherence and at its best.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Congratulations August!

My husband and I met and married rather late in life (I was 50, he 55). God and sobriety have blessed us more than we could ever have imagined.

Our marriage is a triangle with God (or HP) at the top and he and I at the other two corners.

Again, congratulations on your marriage and I wish you all the love, health and peace you can possibly imagine.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
So true, so true! According to everyone else, I have never looked better in my life. According to me, I have never felt better. Win-win (I think I look pretty good too!).

My body is so capable now- a 5K is no prob (my husband and I did one a month this year) and I love how hot yoga (a lot of it!) makes me feel. Even on the "bad" days.

We just got married Dec 1 and (at 22 mo sober and full of the promises of AA and living a life together in recovery every day) I know I've never been better in any way because every aspect of my life is in coherence and at its best.
I'm on day 12, August. You seem so secure in your sobriety and happy in it. For me, it's still hard, a lot of up and down emotions. A shocking amount. One moment alcohol seems like poison to me, 2 hours later it feels like someone's told me I can never have a sip of water again and yet I'm living in the desert. I'm curious, you mentioned "bad days", which I think means days you want to drink. If this is accurate, I'd be interested to know how often you, a person who seems happy in sobriety, has "bad days". I'm trying to figure out what my future holds. Sigh.