Notices

Looking younger

Old 12-22-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Literally just commented on another thread that everyone has been saying that I look good which never happens! My mum wanted a photo of me today because of it. My grandad still made a comment about my weight but there you go *rolls eyes*
Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm surprised how quickly I shed a few pounds in just a week of not drinking
(and vis a vis!!)
Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What 30 day cleanse did you do? I’ve also put on 30 lbs, more than I did with my three pregnancies, as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaggieJ View Post
What 30 day cleanse did you do? I’ve also put on 30 lbs, more than I did with my three pregnancies, as well.
The cleanse I did was called “Whole 30” I’m
Starting another one today. It was hard for the first few days but it got easier. I have eczema and horrible allergies and it also helped with that.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
JJ9

I LOVE threads like this! I cannot wait to see improvements in my red puffy face!! This gets me very motivated!!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:44 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I love reading threads like these.

Sobriety has also been great to my looks, which is a great motivator and boosts my self confidence. I also get a better complexion, whereas while drinking it looks ashen and droopy. I can tell a big difference around my eyes - they look brighter, bigger, and clearer.

I have more energy to exercise, whereas before I'd be too sick or drunk to workout, and even when I did my body didn't really get the benefits. Properly looking after myself - no booze, lots of sleep, lots of good food - is what's producing real benefits for me these days.

Humble-brag time: a few weeks ago at work I was told by a woman I was dealing with (keep in mind I'm in law enforcement) "My dear, don't take this the wrong way, you look like you're about 14 years old!!" I laughed and told her I got that quite often. I'm a youthful looking 36, and although that works against me in my profession, it's also something I'm grateful for.

Keep the stories coming ladies.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I need to address my weight right now before its harder to address, but I'm enjoying putting my face up on social media more. My face has lost its "death cast." Drooping eyes, yellowish grey pallor, more wrinkles. My facial skin now matches my neck skin and my decolletege is softer, less rough and wrinkled and the skin there is starting to match my face.

Right now I am breaking out from all the sugar and wheat, but I expect even more improvements when I begin swapping out bread for salads and vegetables.

People who drink too much but also spend a fortune on creams have no idea. This one thing which costs nothing will give you better skin than 10,000 in treatments could ever do!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I need to address my weight right now before its harder to address, but I'm enjoying putting my face up on social media more. My face has lost its "death cast." Drooping eyes, yellowish grey pallor, more wrinkles. My facial skin now matches my neck skin and my decolletege is softer, less rough and wrinkled and the skin there is starting to match my face.

Right now I am breaking out from all the sugar and wheat, but I expect even more improvements when I begin swapping out bread for salads and vegetables.

People who drink too much but also spend a fortune on creams have no idea. This one thing which costs nothing will give you better skin than 10,000 in treatments could ever do!
I 100% agree with this about the money wasted on creams and potions while still drinking. I feel like I got a mini-facelift by quitting drinking!
Old 01-04-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

You all are great motivators! Earlier on in my sobriety, I was getting a lot of "you look really good" comments...which was really comforting and encouraging.

But those have dwindled...and I assume it's primarily due to the fact that I replaced the alcohol with food (bad food) in a serious way and have gained about 50 lbs in the 16 months I've been sober. I've really been feeling down about it. But I'm finally getting myself together and have a plan to address the eating.

Thanks for the motivation!
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lindajean68 View Post
You all are great motivators! Earlier on in my sobriety, I was getting a lot of "you look really good" comments...which was really comforting and encouraging.

But those have dwindled...and I assume it's primarily due to the fact that I replaced the alcohol with food (bad food) in a serious way and have gained about 50 lbs in the 16 months I've been sober. I've really been feeling down about it. But I'm finally getting myself together and have a plan to address the eating.

Thanks for the motivation!
the weight gain thing is no joke! Ugh. Nothing's changed about how my metabolism works, what's changed is coping with food instead of booze and that's a real problem.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ringo123 View Post
Congratulations August!

My husband and I met and married rather late in life (I was 50, he 55). God and sobriety have blessed us more than we could ever have imagined.

Our marriage is a triangle with God (or HP) at the top and he and I at the other two corners.

Again, congratulations on your marriage and I wish you all the love, health and peace you can possibly imagine.
Thank you! And- our marriage is based on the same. We are 41 and 42 respectively and actually dated in high school, he looked me up in 2016 and we are both in recovery. To say this is one of my greatest blessings in sobriety is an enormous understatement!
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm on day 12. This thread is what I needed to read today!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBug66 View Post
I'm on day 12. This thread is what I needed to read today!
Agreed. Inspirational in the sense of one more benefit to staying sober. Thanks, Laides.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Interesting comment about expensive face creams. Its all about what goes into our bodies, I think, not what we put on the outer surface of them.

Its also about having a spring in our step, walking along holding ourselves with pride, rather than heads down.

Speaking with self respect, not babbling on talking in riddles to try and cover what we have been doing. I stand tall now, speak directly. I have nothing to hide.

This has removed a lot of stress so my body has relaxed. Wrinkles and furrowed brows go.

I also now thoroughly enjoy having pretty clothes. I am worth pretty clothes, nice shoes and handbag. Also a pretty hairstyle.

I think all of this automatically makes a person more youthful and alive looking. A twinkle in the eye instead of scowl on the face. I am mid 50's. I see old photos of myself. I now look far younger than I did a couple decades ago.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Stayingsassy;6733630]I need to address my weight right now before its harder to address, [s/QUOTE]

If I can make a suggestion, I did the gallon of water a day challenge when I very first quit and it didn't make me lose a ton of weight, but it did help and I don't know how, with sugar and carb cravings.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
I'm on day 12, August. You seem so secure in your sobriety and happy in it. For me, it's still hard, a lot of up and down emotions. A shocking amount. One moment alcohol seems like poison to me, 2 hours later it feels like someone's told me I can never have a sip of water again and yet I'm living in the desert. I'm curious, you mentioned "bad days", which I think means days you want to drink. If this is accurate, I'd be interested to know how often you, a person who seems happy in sobriety, has "bad days". I'm trying to figure out what my future holds. Sigh.
Hi Sohard-
Actually, no, I don't mean days I want to drink. I say this without any hint of superiority or such, but I honestly did not want to drink since I quit. It was like I was DONE and the only thing that was going to happen was sobriety, though it was terrifying because I too wondered what my future would hold. Only one time - ironically, or perhaps not, for an alcoholic- the only day that the barest idea of putting myself in a place I COULD drink flitted in on 90, exactly.

What I meant was basically the bad days anyone has, and those that this alcoholic- who focuses on EMOTIONAL sobriety first because I believe physical sobriety stems directly from that as does everything else in my life of healthy recovery - has sometimes. I meant a day where I am "restless, irritable or discontent" as the BB describes so then I have to figure out WHY, by taking it to the "Me" not what others are doing/being/etc. Or I am tired and just don't feel like "dealing." Usually, I use what I call the time out (ie nap) or Send Myself To Bed Early technique. I keep tabs on how many meetings I go to a week and if I get below my sweet spot (here at almost 23 mo it is 4-6 a week) then I self-correct the next week. There are plenty of other examples of what "bad days" mean now - and believe me, I could tell you about emotional upheaval over family issues that rocked me for a few days straight this past holiday season, or fear when I lost a job or....

I do believe everyone's path in recovery is very different. I have been blessed beyond imagination since I quit drinking and I shared this in a meeting just the other day when the topic was gratitude: who gets to marry their high school sweetheart at 41, and live life together in recovery? Who goes form being on the brink of death in a year, 18 mo if I didn't quit to someone who does hot yoga 6x a week for an hour, 90 min, or a 5K a month, here at this point? Who has a step daughter (15!) she loves and gets along with great? Who.....in toto, I am what the BB describes as happy, joyous and free. I keep up a diligent program that works for me (key words) to live this way.

Probably a longer answer to your question than needed, but I can't say enough that my life now has the tools, support and probably most important, commitment and acceptance needed to not just be sober but live a recovered and recovering life. It would be my wish and hope for any alcoholic to know their own version of this kind of life.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes, August. Getting a glimpse of the good life as the months roll on, I want everyone to find their version of a peaceful and happy recovery. It is possible for all. Returning to active addiction is never necessary, and its never a response from your higher self, it is a highly damaging knee jerk reaction.

Its so important as august says to keep centered to self: not what everyone is doing to hurt or annoy me, but what am I doing to make my situation better? What steps an I taking to soothe or better myself? Always, always stay in your own lane, whether its avoiding toxic people or drinkers, or simply choosing to take responsibility for self and the small, fractional steps toward peace and fulfillment. This is something everyone, even the most serious alcoholic, will be able to do after enough sobriety.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:08 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I am only a few weeks sober, but my skin already looks better and less wrinkled. I notice I am a lot more thirsty than I was before and I drink a ton of water all the time. I bet that helps a lot.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Almost 5 months now and don't look like I'm dying anymore so that's a big plus. The only bad thing is that I'm also like some of u here where I tend to crave sweets and starchy high carb stuff now 😂 hoping this will improve ☺️
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's been since 13 Dec for me and I can start to see some differences, for one my eyes are not bloodshot like they had been and the redness in my face is clearing up. Even though I jog 2-3 times a week with my dogs the thing that amazed me the most is I have lost almost 30 lbs and I haven't really changed much except not drinking. I don't look younger yet as I've always had a baby face but it's crazy to realize how much alcohol really changes you physically. Not just the health issues etc but the way it makes you look like a bloated half inflated soccer ball. Even my sleeves look brighter. I can't wait to see what 6 months looks like.