Notices

Liver problems after I quit drinking

Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, I desperately want to lose weight but it's proven challenging. Like I think I mentioned before I lost 30 pounds in three months a year ago giving up gluten and dairy so I know I can do it. I'm trying to get off of one of my psych meds that causes weight gain so that should help as well.

I will try to avoid binges, but yes - don't want to be too restrictive right now.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
Yes, I desperately want to lose weight but it's proven challenging. Like I think I mentioned before I lost 30 pounds in three months a year ago giving up gluten and dairy so I know I can do it. I'm trying to get off of one of my psych meds that causes weight gain so that should help as well.

I will try to avoid binges, but yes - don't want to be too restrictive right now.
Medications do complicate the issue. Isn't it amazing what getting rid of gluten, dairy and sugar can do!! When I cut carbs, cutting dairy with it is so hard. Coconut milk and avocado help fill in with adding the creamy taste to dishes.

Your liver scan is good news so time to relax for a couple weeks.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Leana,

Have they ruled out lupus? The positive ANA can be an indicator, and it can also affect your organs. You may want to bring that up with your doctor the next time you see them.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Delilah. I got the full Lupus panel a few years ago but it might be time to get tested again. I hope I don't have it.
Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm happy to report that I feel much better. It's a Christmas miracle! The only downer is that my RA pain is back but I think it's no coincidence that I feel better now that the RA medication (Enbrel) is out of my system. I really think it was the culprit. The pain is much easier to deal with than the other symptoms I was having. It felt like I had a severe hangover all the time but even worse than that.

I get lab tests done tomorrow so hopefully the news will be better.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Having same concerns here; How are things with you now?

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
I'm 135 days sober and my liver enzymes have been rising since September. Docs can't figure out why but they suspect it might be one of my medications that has triggered hepatitis. I stopped taking it two weeks ago.

Did anyone else have this happen to them after they got sober? The irony of getting liver disease after I got sober is not lost on me.
I am experiencing symptoms of what must be damage of some kind; damage I had never experienced before, until now, after 30+ years of drinking. I am 48 years old, and finally walked away from drinking, but am 5+ months into sobriety, and up until now, problem-free total abstinence.

Saw your post was not too long ago; I just wanted to check up on your current status: How are you doing lately?

Fingers crossed, here. Hopefully, you’re okay.

And hopefully, you’ll get this. Any suggestions for me?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

update?

Originally Posted by WaterOx View Post
My enzymes and numbers have all checked out ok but over the past year I have drank less and less and less while doing more and more and more of the right things (eating right, exercising daily, a ton of water)

Yet it seems the more I do the right things, the more my liver tends to hurt.

As some have suggested, it seems there’s a complexity to the liver involving both damage and healing.

That’s my hope, anyhow. I don’t know.
Are you able to get an ultrasound and/or CT scan to cover all angles?
Sounds like my situation; How about an update?
Old 10-30-2018, 02:15 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Jipiteca

Whats your Dr say?

D
Old 10-30-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Jipiteca, how much sober time do you have? After a lot of hard drinking, the liver can be inflamed for awhile. In sobriety it is felt, because you have lost your "anaesthetic" and because you are sore as you heal.

As months pass, so should the liver pain and elevated enzymes.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi jipiteca. Happy to report my liver is back to normal. However, my situation was complicated by a medication that was toxic to my liver. It took about two months after stopping the medication for my enzymes to go back down to normal. It was just a strange coincidence that this happened after getting sober.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
totfit

Take care of yourself. There could be several causes for higher liver enzymes. One thing for sure is that stopping drinking is not one of them. As for "going on a diet", I find that moderate exercise and "changing" my diet has the best effect. Something we go "on" is easy to go "off". Changes in behavior seem to stick. Take care of yourself and keep looking at what you might be doing to contribute, but sounds like you are covering the bases.