Notices

Corrie and sohard

Old 12-16-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Corrie and sohard

Really proud of both of you for making it through the week. This time of year is a tough time to get sober. Not that it isn’t always tough but lots of memories and feelings come up this month that can be challenging.

You both got knocked off the horse and you could have just stayed off and kept drinking, but you showed resolve and commitment to come back and make it through week one.

Keep it up! It’s worth it.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, great job during a tough time.
Keep up the good work!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support! Both Stayingsassy and Corrie! You've both been so supportive since all my day 1s. I really do appreciate it. I'm so happy for making it through the week. I'm sure many people have said this before me, but for some reason this attempt (and, again, I recognize it's early) feels different. It really does. In other situations, I've been climbing the walls at day 7. I'm not now. At least for the moment, I don't want to drink nearly as much as I used to at this point (although I'm not saying it's easy by any stretch of the imagination). My energy is channeled into anger at ever being duped that alcohol was something worthy of my time. I have a niece/nephew who are growing up around lots of wine with their parents, and I'm looking forward to being a good influence on them that you don't need to have alcohol to live in this society. I know, I shouldn't get cocky like 'I got this!', but I'm feeling good, so I'm going to give myself a pat on the back. It doesn't happen often, so I better take it when it does, right? When in the throws of addiction (and I'm only a week away from drinking) there is just SO MUCH of my brain space used up thinking about when I'll drink next, how hungover I feel, if I should quit, when I should quit, why I should quit, moderation maybe, etc. While I am now using so much of my brain space to focus on quitting, it is obviously a much healthier use of my energy and I get automatic results ($$, weight loss, feeling better and like I'm moving forwards, not just surviving). And, I'm assuming, quitting will not take as much of my efforts with time. I'm need to keep reminding myself that drinking will make things much harder, not easier. Nothing is worse than starting at day 1. I feel like something has clicked in my head. The further I get away from that day 1 , the easier it will be. So, I just have to keep swimming through the storm to get to the beach. Anyway, I really do appreciate all your support!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good positive thinking for week one! No romanticizing of alcohol, no wallowing, just eyes forward. . Take a look at some of the AVRT literature, I’ve been using a lot of these tools in my sobriety lately. Not that this is the only way I’ll do it, because I will do what it takes and I don’t know what I might need later...
But some of these thinking tactics have helped. Happy weekend to you!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Good positive thinking for week one! No romanticizing of alcohol, no wallowing, just eyes forward. . Take a look at some of the AVRT literature, I’ve been using a lot of these tools in my sobriety lately. Not that this is the only way I’ll do it, because I will do what it takes and I don’t know what I might need later...
But some of these thinking tactics have helped. Happy weekend to you!
Yes, I've actually been reading up on AVRT a lot. It certainly speaks to me. I can't believe I'd never heard of it before. Recently, I have read more on alcoholism than I ever thought possible. I figure if society is going to bombard me with messages about how glorious drinking is, I better counter those messages by bombarding myself with accurate information about it's dangers and how to release myself from its clutches. For the first time in my life, I feel like there are so many possibilities. Just so many possibilities. The weird thing is, I truly didn't realize (until I realized, that is) that alcohol was holding me back. I also feel a weird new fear - but a healthy one. I don't know why, but I became a much worse drinker in the past 6 months (day drinking, a driving black out, etc), and that started to scare the hell out of me. Currently, I'm too scared to drink, and I want to stay that way. I want to live unchained from addiction, not just keeping my head above water, which is what addiction felt like to me. Anyway, thank you again for your support!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Good going!
Old 12-16-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Good going!
Thank you!!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SH,

You sound great.

The holidays are tough for all of us, we need to double down and realise that it just is not worth it.

The key for me, which I see in your posts, was when I realised I was ADDICTED, and therefore the only thing that a drink would bring is another day 1, if I was lucky enough to get there.

The minute that I really clicked that I was truly addicted to alcohol, just as I had been to cigarettes before stopping, I stopped drinking because I never wanted another day 1.

Stopping again was too hard, drinking was too hard, but staying sober over time because a new and better normal.

You got this, I can feel it!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
SH,

You sound great.

The holidays are tough for all of us, we need to double down and realise that it just is not worth it.

The key for me, which I see in your posts, was when I realised I was ADDICTED, and therefore the only thing that a drink would bring is another day 1, if I was lucky enough to get there.

The minute that I really clicked that I was truly addicted to alcohol, just as I had been to cigarettes before stopping, I stopped drinking because I never wanted another day 1.

Stopping again was too hard, drinking was too hard, but staying sober over time because a new and better normal.

You got this, I can feel it!
I so appreciate your support - thank you!!
Old 12-17-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you, Sassy, Hawkeye, and everyone else. A new day here in South Africa, day 8 for me and the start of week 2. Feeling good, but the old liver keeps reminding me of recent excesses... Crazy what us people do to ourselves, is it not?
Lots of coffee and iced water with lemon juice; going to make myself some Buttermilk-chicken and a bunch of chips (fries). "Sunday morning Coming Down".
Old 12-17-2017, 04:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by corriec View Post
Thank you, Sassy, Hawkeye, and everyone else. A new day here in South Africa, day 8 for me and the start of week 2. Feeling good, but the old liver keeps reminding me of recent excesses... Crazy what us people do to ourselves, is it not?
Lots of coffee and iced water with lemon juice; going to make myself some Buttermilk-chicken and a bunch of chips (fries). "Sunday morning Coming Down".
Week 2 - yay!!!! Great work!
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Corriec, how are doing?? I'd realized you hadn't posted in a few days..That makes me nervous.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Corrie,
Careful here, sounds to me like you’re slowly getting addicted to Buttermilk-chicken! ;-)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Better than booze, Mac...
Old 12-22-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hallo, Sohard. I'm hanging in there, girl. Two weeks tomorrow. What a ****** life us alcy's have dealt ourselves...
Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Corrie and Sohard--well done on two weeks --
Sober Christmas, here you come

I also make fried chicken using buttermilk.

Have you tried just ice cold buttermilk with a bit of sea salt sprinkled on it?

Really refreshing and nice!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hallo, Sohard. I'm hanging in there, girl. Two weeks tomorrow. What a ****** life us alcy's have dealt ourselves...
Oh good, I'm glad you're OK! Great job! Aren't we so stupid sometimes?? We allowed ourselves to fall off the wagon but at this point we could have been saying 75 days or something like that. So, let's not make that mistake again! It certainly wasn't worth it, was it? We are smarter than this! Let's keep going!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yay you two!!! I'm so glad you're both still with us!
Old 12-22-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
Yay you two!!! I'm so glad you're both still with us!
Me too! Thank you so much for ALL your support!
Old 12-25-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How ya doing, Corrie?!