Notices

What's your plan?

Old 12-13-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's your plan?

What is your plan to not drink today? As alcoholics we need a solid plan of recovery. Whether you have 1 day or 40 years of sobriety you have some sort of some plan, right? I'm interested in your plan. Perhaps a small piece of it. If we all contribute a small part then collectively we have more information and ideas as a group to beat alcoholism on a daily basis.

Here's mine: I'm going to walk slow. Drink plenty of water and eat right.
It's a simple formula. Works for me.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful

My plan involves a 12 step approach. I go to AA meetings regularly (2-3 per week), I have worked the 12 steps with a sponsor and practice them in my daily life, and I offer help to other alcoholics when the opportunity arises by sponsoring them and passing on what I have learned from my sponsor and others in the rooms.

This is my third go at long term sobriety (6yrs, 7yrs, and coming up on 5yrs) and I can tell you that not sticking with a plan is what eventually led me back to drinking. Alcoholism is a chronic and progressive lifelong illness, but as long as I keep it in remission I can lead a normal, healthy and reasonably happy life. I have learned that alcoholism, like many other chronic illnesses must be treated for life or you're likely to find yourself drunk one day and wondering what happened. That was my experience both times I have relapsed after years of sobriety.

Find what works for you and stick with it. If it turns out your plan isn't working be open to trying something else. Alcoholism can be and often is a fatal illness, so I need to be open and willing to go to any lengths to treat it. I relapsed for 8 years after being sober for 7 years and I reached the point where I could no longer live with alcohol or without it. I knew in my heart that if I didn't make a plan and stick with it this time I would end up dying from this illness.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

#1 No drinking.
#2 No drinking.
From there, your options are endless. Searching for an AA meeting sounds like the best.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Upon waking up, I pray and thank my god for being where I should be and for keeping me sober the day before. Then ask him to take the reigns for today. Then I make a mental gratitude list. I get out of bed and make it before doing the next indicated thing. Now in the first 5 minutes of the day, I have accomplished three things 100% correctly. My day has started off perfect and has my mind set on a positive view point. It has worked for 711 days so far. So why mess with something simple that works?

I look forward to reading others.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes sir, praying is a vital part of my plan. Without faith and hope I wouldn't be here. Literally.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What a great thread.

My plan is to keep at the front of my mind always that I am addicted to alcohol and cannot drink ever, no matter what.

I am also trying to find a way to release my need for shame that drives my need to self sabotage, and to stop the current manifestations of that sabotage through doing the stuff I need to do! I am worth living without chaos and to enjoy my life without constantly cleaning up my own mess.

Now I am off to slay my procrastination monkey. I mean he is cute, but really...letting a monkey run your life when you daily slay the dragon of drink..how silly is that!

Net net, my plan is to not drink and to do my stuff.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great plan dropsie. I think we have to keep reminding ourselves that the big bad wolf is always wanting in the front door. Don't ever open it. It's that simple.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm much like Grungehead.

My big picture plan is to live in acceptance and fit spiritual condition as AA lays out, and daily to do my best in steps 1, 10, 11 and 12 - acceptance, ongoing amends, spiritual fitness and service to others.

In practice, my day (and week) look like this:
6 to-dos during my AM devotional/study time, which I do regardless of where I am (vacation, the day I got married, holidays, whatever): read pp 84-88/417-418 of the BB, a devotional from Friar Richard Rohr of the CAC (a daily email), a joint Bible app of devotionals that my husband and I do together, asking myself HALT, and a devotional from this year's book, and visiting SR.

I pray often throughout the day- mostly like a conversation with God. I have a planner we call the "Holy Day Planner" because it holds my whole LIFE, schedule, random notes, and more. There's a place for a note of gratitude and I write a short prayer for the day. When I read the St Francis prayer off a bookmark I have in my BB I pick one or two of the focus points (ie, to understand rather than seek to be understood).

I exercise every day but one, typically.

My sweet spot for meetings is 3-5, and I try to self-correct if I dip below that (like last week).

I usually nap.

There's other stuff that's just common practice in my daily life - like drinking tons of water and leading a recovery group for restaurant industry folks struggling with alcoholism and addiction....

Basically, my sober way of life - my recovery- comes before everything and everyone else - and that allows me to have everything else.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thinking towards a sober future
That’s my default
Also just being glad I’m sober
Old 12-14-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Be responsible for my own actions and serve others.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My day is planned to the millisecond. It's the key to me living a normal life and always has been. Drinking made me forget that and as such, my life was running me. Like a budget, a budget is you telling your money where to go, not your money telling you where you can go.
Kids are dressed and off to school, I am at work, I will read here today, log on to an on-line AA meeting, tonight is totally self-indulgent, I get my hair done Normally it's every 4 weeks, but because we are travelling, I had to push it to 6, and if you have ever had the shampoo girl do a head massage, you know that was a huge sacrifice
Stop at the barn, work on building some more training for 3 of the horses, then fall into bed grateful for another sober, productive day.
Weekly, we have the Santa Parade Friday, Saturday is a big day of training, hoping to lay my hands on all the horses and the dogs, they desperately need some strong work. Their brains are shrinking, movies with the kids Saturday night, church Sunday and back to work Monday! I also have the next month mapped out and honestly the next year. I am giving myself to July to continue to enjoy sobriety and then I plan to go away on a camping trip, meditate in nature and write the plan for continued and permanent sobriety.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My plan for today is to remember all that I
have learned thus so far in my recovery program
and apply them accordingly thru out the day.

Any person, place or thing can absolutely
try and ruffle my feathers when I'm not
tuned into my program or relationship
with my Higher Power. So, thru out the
day, i keep a conscience contact with Him
in my thoughts and prayers.

Exercise in some way or form for a healthy,
strong mind, body and soul by walking, gardening,
moving about and not just sitting or laying down
all day. Stay motivated.

Honesty in all my affairs is also part
of my plan each day because honesty
and remaining sober go hand and hand.

Then i try to give back here on SR as
often as possible. Passing on what has
been freely passed on to me thru out
the yrs to give other hope and reminds
me where I came from and where I am
going. Also, staying connected to others
like me and sharing similar stories is comforting

Healthy behavior habits and plan can help any
one to achieve long term continuous sobriety.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My plan is pretty simple as compared to others. I simply always keep in mind that I can not drink, ever, for any reason.

Aside from that, My daily goal is to grow as a person. Whether it is physical or mental growth, I do something everyday to better myself.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Wake up. Promise myself that NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS today I will not reach for that first drink. Also, visit SR and FB and offer whatever support I can muster to my fellow recovery warriors.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great plans that work! Thank you all for your reply. I hope this thread helps us all. It takes a plan, faith, courage, commitment, stick toitiveness and fortitude to beat alcoholism. And I don't think we ever "beat" this affliction. But we can and do obtain long term sobriety. It starts with a plan. A prayer and some hope.
Thanks again folks!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Call my sponsor. Go to a meeting and help another alcoholic.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Great plan NYC. Sounds consistent and it works.