Notices

Finding a new hobby

Old 12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Stayingsassy View Post
I recommend fitness. . You’ll meet people, counteract depression, get stronger and have something helpful that fills up time. Exercise fixes a lot of sobriety’s ills. Not as many as time does.....but it sure helps.
I completely second this as a "hobby." It gets the endorphins going, and is a great use of the time you used to spend drinking/using. There are also many ways you can do so. Gym, classes, resistance training, cardio machines. There's the great outdoors as well for biking, walking, hiking, running...

I did meetings for a bit, they were very helpful to me in connecting with other sober people who had lives after alcohol/drugs. Plus it kept me busy! Tried the whole sponsor/steps thing, it's just not for me, at least not now. However I am doing individual psychotherapy with a professional who has experience in dealing with addiction, both in himself and with patients, and we incorporate 4th step ideas into our work together.

Diet and exercise were crucial in my very early recovery...I'm only 7 months in, so I still consider this early recovery. After 5 weeks in rehab I did nothing for a month, and got very depressed. Got serious about the gym at about 90 days, and have added yoga to the mix for flexibility and mindfulness.

I've decided to explore my budding midlife crisis by starting to ride motorcycles.

In real estate school as well.

I'm going for a total life remake, and the time and energy I have from not drinking is allowing and encouraging me to do so.

Just start DOING! You'll figure it out! Everyone has a different path in sobriety. Be true to yourself, find one and follow it.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I spent a lot of time in early recovery building plastic models. Cars, motorcycles, airplanes, tanks, there were a few dozen that I finished and that now decorate various rooms in my house and my office. Everyone's different, but it was great mindfulness for me, very focused detail work that over time resulted in something I completed, and could view as an accomplishment.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lpg View Post
I feel super nervous before I go every week and then leave feeling better I always wonder why I get myself in such a tizz about going.
happened to me,too, because what i was doing was out of my comfort zone- its not something i was used to doing.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Read chapters 2 and 3. It was written Bill W. in 1937 and he knew you would read your story today.

You asked how do you get a sponsor. Ask someone to sponsor you. If you're a woman ask a woman. If you're a man ask a man. The person you pick should be that person when you look at them, they have what you want. They have peace, strength, calmness, understanding, etc. Don't ask that person you want to be friends with. This isn't a friend seeking task, this is your life boat and it might be the ugliest nastiest piece of lumber but it's going to float you to safety.

Good luck