Notices

AA can change you

Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA can change you

Four months ago I made this post https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ple-rooms.html (Dangerous people in the rooms) about an angry mean guy that was court ordered to attend AA meetings.

The guy was a mean nasty person. Well now, 4 months later this guy isn't Mr. Sunshine but he does talk to a few people and seems to be getting better.

Today at a meeting I nodded to him as I walked by and he actually said "hello" and used my name. This is a guy that never shakes hands, never holds hands during the Lords Prayer, doesn't really do anything but sit there reading something that he brings.

He is a tough nut to crack but I am seeing progress. My sponsor tells me that if this guy takes to the AA program then their is a God and he does perform miracles!!
Old 12-07-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Very good post.

God and AA do change people and their hearts.

They certainly did for me.

And it sure didn't happen overnight.

This man might be your sponsor one day.

Or mine.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It certainly seems to help people methodically work through their problems with good social support.

I did not continue to attend. I’m not sure why. I have not ruled out going back and I often think about going back. I think it’s a great thing that fills a lot of roles for alcoholics, especially those that are struggling emotionally. It should never be discounted as an option.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wasn't exactly Mr. Sunshine when I first walked into the rooms I didn't say anything, I didn't go to the meeting after the meeting group. But I listened at the meetings. It changed me.
My sponsor sent me to a hospital on a twelve step call while I was on step four (it was close to where I was living) and I spoke to that man and gave him a Big Book.
I'm just not an outgoing person and rarely speak to people in general, except my close friends.

I did do one thing. I volunteered to work the AA help line. The man in charge gave me Sunday mornings from 9am till 1pm. And this is in a major city.
You had to have six months sober to do it.
I spoke to those people, and man, I spoke with some doosies. Others where just looking for a meeting. Those who were interested in getting in the program I handed over to people with longer sobriety.
I really enjoyed talking to the callers and I highly recommend it for anyone serious about AA.
I did, of course, screw it up by drinking. But it was pretty hard to drink with a head full of those calls.
But I digress.
I am a changed person beaus e of AA, my Higher Power and this place. I post here a lot. As I just moved to another major city, I haven't been to a meeting yet. I know exactly where to go, too.

And I may speak. I will listen. It does change me.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That would be cool to work the hotline. Short shift too, so you’re not getting burned out.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, it is interesting and it feels good helping people. But it can also be sad. I wish I could share some of the calls I received, but that's against AA policy.
It was an eye-opener for sure.

The way it works, on weekends and after office hours, is the person calls. in.
They get an answering service. After they have three or for people in que, they call you at home and give you the callers number and you call them back.
So, you can do it from home.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I was also a tough nut to crack. Not that I was mean - but for years I was in & out of the rooms, too scared to really engage with people or honestly work the program. I would show up, not talk to anyone, and run out of the room as soon as the meeting finished. No wonder I didn't feel I was getting much out of the program.

Finally something started to get through to me - I have a sponsor, an AWESOME home group, and I'm working the steps.

What's huge for me is the social aspect. I'm making friends (slowly), and opening up to people in recovery. I'm going out for coffee with the group after Friday meetings. These are small things that take a lot of effort for someone like me, who doesn't do well in casual social situations.

I'm a VERY slow learner, but I persisted.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my experience the "angry tough nuts" are the people that have been hurt a lot in the past and are absolutely full of fear.

I put a wall of protection around myself. To try and stop further pain.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The program of AA continues to change
me as I am a work in progress. That hope
to stay sober till my last breath is worth
striving for using AA and my faith as a
guideline.

Too see the miracle of recovery happen
first hand is a priceless.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You see it in the clear and focused eyes of people in the rooms.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Four months ago I made this post https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ple-rooms.html (Dangerous people in the rooms) about an angry mean guy that was court ordered to attend AA meetings.

The guy was a mean nasty person. Well now, 4 months later this guy isn't Mr. Sunshine but he does talk to a few people and seems to be getting better.

Today at a meeting I nodded to him as I walked by and he actually said "hello" and used my name. This is a guy that never shakes hands, never holds hands during the Lords Prayer, doesn't really do anything but sit there reading something that he brings.

He is a tough nut to crack but I am seeing progress. My sponsor tells me that if this guy takes to the AA program then their is a God and he does perform miracles!!

There was a fellow we used to call "Angry Mark." Nobody wanted to have much to do with the man. He left the area but returned for a visit some ten years later. When I saw him again he didn't look much different yet he gave off a completely different vibe. He seem much more at easy with AA and himself.

Almost 25 years in AA and that's someone I can honestly say seems to have a had a complete "psychic change" Granted I hadn't seen him in years and never knew him that well to begin with but he seemed a totally different person.

However, experience has taught me it is best I keep my distance from those in AA with anger issues. I am all for sharing my ESH with others as long as they are respectful in the room.