Notices

Did anyone else have this withdrawal symptom?

Old 12-06-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did anyone else have this withdrawal symptom?

The last couple days have been rough for me, I am really struggling. I’ve been having this problem where I can’t fully fall asleep at night. It feels like I’m half asleep and somewhat hallucinating. Last night I thought I was waking my husband up and telling him I heard someone downstairs and I was terrified and panicked, it was so real. Then I woke up sweaty and anxious realizing it was a dream. I am having terrible nightmares and feel like I’m not getting a full nights sleep. I’m dragging through the day trying to take care of 3 kids and work nights. I really hope this ends soon.. it’s so hard. I’m feeling really down and defeated today.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello SiL.

I think its part and parcel, the sleep problems, the night sweats, anxiety.... in any case it was for me. A visit to doctor is always a good bet when in doubt. Looking after 3 kids and working nights you migth need to get some support or help no, family or friends ? I never had hallucinations.
How much were drinking or are you drinking ?
How long ago did you stop ?
Old 12-06-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for responding. At my worse I was drinking about 3/4 a bottle of vodka a day. I quit that about 4 months ago. I was completely sober for a little over 3 months then relapsed and had a 2 day binge where I drank a bottle of vodka over the course of 2 days. So I started over with sobriety and I’m on day 4. I’m not sure if I used the right word with hallucinations. It feels I’m half awake all night. My mind is going crazy with thoughts of things I need to do, guilt over things I’ve done (drinking regrets) and very realistic dreams . Almost feels like I’m awake and asleep at the same time. I just hope this stops soon.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, insomnia and sleep issues ( night sweats too! ) are very, very common during witdhrawals. Remember that alcohol is a depressant and it literally affects your brain chemistry, just like any drug. So when you quit taking it your brain kind of goes into "overdrive" as all those chemicals you were repressing with the alcohol start being felt again. Day 4 is a great accomplishment, but you are still likely in the acute/initial phase of withdrawals - so it's still likely going to take some time for the initial physical changes to settle down. Make sure you are drinking enough water and eating some good foods. Cutting back on sugar and caffeine can help reduce the anxiety as well.

Real hallucinations are definitely not "normal" at any time though...so if you are truly experiencing them seeing a doc is a good idea. Seeing a doc just for a general physical after quitting is never a bad idea anyway...malnutrition is very common with daily drinkers as we substituted empty calories ( alchohol ) for real food.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

sounds famlier.

Kudos on the sober time. I wish i had a magical answer for you with sleep. Drinking aside is it possible just life stress has you struggling for sleep as well? I have 6 kids and lots of stess myself. and despite 6 years sober i still struggle for sleep myself as well.

I hope it eases up for you soon usually it does.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Hypnagogia is the state between waking and sleeping. Yours may be disrupted.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
The last couple days have been rough for me, I am really struggling. I’ve been having this problem where I can’t fully fall asleep at night. It feels like I’m half asleep and somewhat hallucinating. Last night I thought I was waking my husband up and telling him I heard someone downstairs and I was terrified and panicked, it was so real. Then I woke up sweaty and anxious realizing it was a dream. I am having terrible nightmares and feel like I’m not getting a full nights sleep. I’m dragging through the day trying to take care of 3 kids and work nights. I really hope this ends soon.. it’s so hard. I’m feeling really down and defeated today.
Same thing happened to me when i tried to detox myself.

It will (or should) go away.

Glad you're with us.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello SiL You're having some typical withdrawal symptoms, not the least of which can be extreme fatigue, especially in the early days. Hang in there, it gets better. You might consider looking up PAWS (Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome), where I'm sure you will recognize some of the symptoms you are experiencing. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
You might consider looking up PAWS (Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome), where I'm sure you will recognize some of the symptoms you are experiencing. Good luck!
Actually "PAWS" is generally believed to occur weeks or months after acute withdrawal. Since the OP is on day 4, it's very likely that Acute withdrawal is still in full force.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are no words for how thankful I am for this group. I’m kind of alone in this journey. My husband is a heavy drinker as well. The only difference is I was day drinking because I’m home alone because he works a lot. He’s a night time and weekend beer drinker. He has no idea how out of control my drinking was getting. I was hiding my bottles, throwing them away in different trash cans so he didn’t see. Going to rehab was never a option for me. We have 3 kids under age 6 and he works a lot. I don’t have any family help with the kids so I’m am the only one that can watch them. I did this on my own before.. I know I can do it again. It’s just really hard this time
Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This, yes.
I had trouble sleeping for the first couple of weeks.
It gets better.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I used, and still sometimes use bedtime tea to sleep. It has valerian in it. It tends to work best if taken right before sleep, not hours before.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

This is exactly what I went through when I sobered up. The first 5 days or so are pretty rough sleeping. Half awake describes it best: just as you're ready to drift off I would jolt awake.

I tried taking a melatonin supplement but that made it worse. You just need to let it take its course. Give it a week and see what becomes of it

The sweats are normal. they faded around the 3/4 day for me, IIRC. My hands would be sticky all day.... to the point it was irritating.

Best of luck to you. Hang in there and let things take its course.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When I detoxed, I went through a valium taper, as well as tapering off Lunesta, a z-drug benzo relative that I'd been taking for 3 years.

Thus the first 2 weeks were relatively easy. Once the taper finished, I had symptoms off and on exactly like yours for about a month. They continued on-and-off through about 90 days.

Melatonin helps.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes - this is normal - and hang on tight - it will pass. And soon!!! The only way to get to the other side of it is to get THROUGH it. You are on the path. I believe in you

Originally Posted by SickInLove View Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You're describing alcohol withdrawal, which will pass I promise. Just don't pick up a drink over it. Do you have support, like a program or therapist?
Old 12-07-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

There's a possible hypoglycemia aspect here.

When the brain is deprived of enough sugar, it goes into panic mode,
resulting in stressful, anxious, fight-or-flight dreams.

Try having a HEALTHY snack before bedtime.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

IIRC, my first few days (nights) sober where pretty routine: I'd go to bed around 9pm. Drift in and out. Sweat like crazy. Then sometime after midnight I must have experienced a REM cycle or two. Wake around three or so and basically just lay there until it was time to get up, about 5am.

It got better after about 5 days.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes I had auditory hallucinations during my worst withdrawal - I heard a woman shouting, banging at my door etc, I was terrified at times. Just shows what a neuro toxin this poison is :-(
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I found that I continued to have this kind of sleep trouble even once I was completely dried out. Consulted a psychiatrist who prescribed medication for anxiety as well as a sleep agent. The change in the quality of my sleep was miraculous.