Notices

"I'm recovered, time for a drink!"

Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face "I'm recovered, time for a drink!"

Recently I've discovered what a term I've seen a lot actually means on here. "AV" or Alcoholic Voice/Addiction Voice.

This really opened my eyes to what's going on in my head and what I can call this voice or these thoughts. Anyways, today my AV told me since I've had 100+ days of sobriety and haven't been dwelling on things, self loathing as much or having such terrible anxiety that I deserve a drink! Hey man you've worked really hard at this sobriety thing and honestly I think it wasn't your problem in the first place it says. Just go to the gas station a mile away, get yourself a cold 6 pack and enjoy!

After a few hours of rationalizing, almost grabbing my keys to get that "well deserved beer" I remembered SoberRecovery and all of you. I remembered my threads, typing them out of desperation and pure helplessness. I DID NOT DRINK and I do not plan to thanks to you! Honestly I can say the primary reason that I didn't go and get beer today was because of this site, also my threads that I've posted I can reflect on and remember the psychological and mental hell I went through while on/off alcohol on a daily or every other day basis. I remembered that I can't remember because of alcohol and much if not all of my life opportunities have been flushed down the toilet by alcohol. I also remembered all the stupid things I did while in a drunk blur and all of the health consequences.

I appreciate all of you and this forum in general. It's 1 way that I can stay sober and have compliance without going to the groups that never worked for me such as AA. Also now that I know what this AV thingy is I have a name for it when I see my psychiatrist for the first time. LOL
Old 12-05-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"I can reflect on and remember the psychological and mental hell I went through"

May we never forget.

;-)
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well done mate
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on 100+ days
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
zjw

yeah i get this on my anual anniversaries. way to go sober a whole year i should go have a drink. wow way to go sober 2 years i should go have a drink. etc... every single year.

it comes for other reaons too. but yeah it really makes no sense to celebrate sobriety by going and having a drink.

good job!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on One Hundred Plus days!

You're AV story reminds me of a story about mine, which luckily for me, hardly ever speaks up. At about my one year mark, I was musing about maybe buying a small bottle, a fifth maybe, and drink it one weekend night as a reward. And this inner voice just pops out of nowhere and says "That won't be enough" .

Geez, I can't even pretend to think about drinking moderately without the old AV chiming in and ruining things for me. Or maybe it was warning me. Anyways, I didn't indulge.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
yeah i get this on my anual anniversaries. way to go sober a whole year i should go have a drink. wow way to go sober 2 years i should go have a drink. etc... every single year.

it comes for other reaons too. but yeah it really makes no sense to celebrate sobriety by going and having a drink.

good job!
Yeah if I did that, I'd say screw it and definitely be back to a 6 pack a night at minimum.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Having an AV isn't a problem, listening to it is

We humans are pre programmed to have AV, it comes from the same mechanisms that survival drives come from, but it's a rogue one, alcohol isn't a survival need the AV just thinks it is. But just like ignoring the 'procreate' one after a duly- married time span, it simmers down too