Notices

Marijuana usage

Old 12-05-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Marijuana usage

Hi all,

I know this is not going to be popular, but do any of you use marijuana and find it not to be the problem alcohol is?

I’ve been alcohol free for 2.5 years and smoking the whole time.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to toke back in the day and it was nothing compared to my drinking issue. It's going to be legal and available at the liquor store here soon.

I think it depends on you yourself. I personally have nothing against weed and am shocked by how many people do smoke it, especially folks you would never know. As long as you aren't a sleep til noon, miss work, fail all responsibilities, I see nothing wrong with recreational use.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I quit smoking pot in 1986-87 or thereabout after 10 years of daily smoking. Didn't quit drinking as alcohol wasn't the problem that marijuana was.

Fast forward to 2010 and I'm here on SR for my alcoholism.

Only you can answer the question, "Have I replaced one addictive drug with another?"
Old 12-05-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Carl, I don’t think I have. It’s not daily and I don’t lose control and go on binges when I do smoke.

It’s legal in Oregon, and there are actually more pot shops than liquor stores here.

I do like to use it to relax though, so I will be mindful of my usage.

I’m so glad for the site and everyone here.

I was reading my old posts and came across a post I made back in 2011 when I was still married to my abusive husband. MAN, I’m glad I’m divorced and not drinking! What a miserable life I had.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

I'd say addiction is the state of ambivalence toward usage. Wanting to discontinue using and yet finding yourself using against your won better judgement.

To quit my alcohol addiction I 'went' intoxicant -free.

A problem with using is if you don't want to , but do. If you don't want to stop, then the problem(s) is only what using does 'to you ' , a lot of people discount the negative effects.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Marijuana was my medicine prior to alcoholism. I stopped smoking pot because it would make me want to jump out of my skin after a certain point. It caused some weird psychological crack in my brain and I've never been normal since. I switched over to drinking a 6 pack a night to relax and go to sleep and then that escalated to 12 until recently stopping 107 days ago!

Marijuana was extremely addictive for me and I've learned with everything including caffeine, nicotine basically anything that gets me high I will abuse it all day. This is why I'm scared to see my Psychiatrist soon because I think she's going to try and put me on some addictive meds if I tell her half of what goes on in my head..
Old 12-05-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, bananagrrrl.
My opinion only: I believe pot is addictive and impairing.
It recently became legal in my state, though the state has largely turned over restrictions to towns.
I confess that I worry about drivers who have been smoking.
Here in Mass. The drivers are wacky enough without adding weed to the mix.
Again, just my two cents.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

A lot of people do have a problem with Marijuana being addictive bananagrrl. While that may not be the case for you, and while it might be legal to purchase, that does not change the fact that for many pot is just as dangerous/addictive/life-ruining as alcohol.

A reminder to everyone that promoting the use of any drug, even "recreationally" is against SR site policy. There are plenty of people in the world who can drink alcohol with no problems associated too - but we are strictly a community that promotes total abstinence.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wouldn't dream of smoking pot.

I like being sober too much.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can't be high and sober at the same time. Just don't delude yourself that you're recovering.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
You can't be high and sober at the same time. Just don't delude yourself that you're recovering.
This is what I've been telling my brother. You can't say you're "sober" and smoke weed and take adderall for the upper affect. You're still getting high and using. Not bashing on anyone, it's just a good point.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I destroyed my life as much on pot as I did on alcohol later so thats a hard no from me.

To me pot is really insidious, even more than alcohol because you don;t notice the problem until you're well and truly in the middle of addiction, and then it's very hard to get out.

There's a forum here for marijuana addiction
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lpg

I have 24 days free from alcohol and Im weaning myself off smoking weed, its not until I have to stop I realise I have a problem with weed too I'm really finding it difficult to give up. I will stop using it soon each day I'm bringing it down. I would not recommend using it in place of alcohol, I started using it last year when I tried to stop drinking and I have basically ended up with another addiction. Now I have gave myself double to work but I will get there. So yeah, I'd say it's just as addictive so be I'd be careful.
Lpg
Old 12-06-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I could of just smoked pot and gone through life. I'd do it. I tried it, and kept falling back into my same drinking and drugging routine. I've use 12 Step recovery for several decades now.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The one occasion I used weed in "sobriety' I was drinking within seconds.

I saw the expression "bingeing on weed". I dont know if many actually do that. It would be too expensive. I never hear of anyone bingeing on cigarettes or valium, or heroin. As I understand it, mostly those types of addicts take their drug like medication, a certain amount for a certain effect. In that sense I see no difference between regular recreational use of a drug, and addiction.

I guess the only way to find out would be to stop for a few months. But what do I know? I am just an alcoholic.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

I will say that at least you didn't say you were sober. Many people smoke pot but then claim to be sober, which they are not. My brother in law hasn't drank in like 7 years but smokes dope and he makes a point to say he doesn't drink but doesn't say he's sober because he knows he's not. I don't agree with his choice but he is honest about it and it works for him and his wife so it's not my concern.

I found sobriety through AA. I know many people like to argue the purpose of AA and that's it's only related to alcohol but I in my sponsorship line you are not sober if you take anything that changes your head with the purpose of escaping your reality. If you smoke pot you are certainly trying to escape the reality you are in. I am in the camp that if I smoked pot I would quickly start drinking again. My alcoholism doesn't care if pot is legal or not it just wants me to take anything to change who I am and right now in my life I have no desire to do that anymore.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bananagrrrl View Post

I was reading my old posts and came across a post I made back in 2011 when I was still married to my abusive husband. MAN, I’m glad I’m divorced and not drinking! What a miserable life I had.
Thank God you got out of that situation.. I have a similar story regarding my ex.. no one deserves to live like that, so happy you got out.. My Exit/divorce was nasty..

To Thine Own Self Be True!

Pot has been legal here in CO for many years, it was never my thing. It made me sleepy and interfered with my beer drinking..

I made a deal with my HP and as long as I'm clean of everything the serenity flows and good things happen..

no judgment here, I get high on life now, it's a softer easier way for me now.. The booze almost killed me!!

wishing you the best!!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

I never had an addiction issue with weed. I was always able to pick it up and put it down. Over the years when i did it if i ran out maybe the first da out of it i'd be like gee this stinks but then i just went about my business and couldnt care less. I never had motivational issues from it or anything. Really my biggest gripe is smoking it isnt exactly the healthiest way to take it.

Now i've heard of people having problems with it. But i've also heard plenty of people doing just fine with it as well.

I suppose its more or less like booze or any other substance for that matter. One person can do it moderatly while another person ends up with a really big problem on there hands.

I guess it just matters how it affects the individual.

But given that this boards primary focus is geared towards folks that do have issues with substances its probably best to promote abstinence on this board.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

never was about what i used but why i used it.
amazing how completely,100% drug and alcohol free i found drug free ways to relax, which was one excuse i used to use to smoke pot.
just like "to relax" was an excuse to drink.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The two biggest psychological aspects of addiction are denial and rationalization.
Even after 26 years without a drink or substance I still have to be wary of my mental process because they can affect me in all areas of my life. A sponsor helps!