Notices

Getting more confident at meetings

Old 12-01-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lpg

Getting more confident at meetings

Morning all, just trying to share here as much as possible.

Yesterday I went to a meeting and finally managed to share with the group and open up. I wasn't going to as I didn't know what to say but I still had my notes from last week so one of the guys said to just read my paper. I didn't speak the best but I think the got the jist of it, i mentioned my other addictions. A lady I never seen before was really nice and said she could relate to what I was say. I finished of by saying I didn't know where I fit in and every one of them said 'you fit in here'

I left feeling so much relief that I finally shared and everyone was so good to me no judgement at all. And two people also gave me info on other meetings for people with dual addictions.
Getting there day at a time.
Lpg
Old 12-01-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great stuff.

Hugs to you. It's hard at first, but really does get easier over time, and as you get to know and trust some of the people at your meetings.

You're doing great. ��
Old 12-01-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Lpg

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Great stuff.

Hugs to you. It's hard at first, but really does get easier over time, and as you get to know and trust some of the people at your meetings.

You're doing great. ��
Thanks BB, really seeing a difference this time around trying to quit I feel more committed to it than I did last year I think Aa is helping me understand more, starting to believe it must work. I wasn't even going to go yesterday due to nerves so glad I did now.
Have a nice weekend
Lpg
Old 12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's great, I'm glad it went so well!
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad for you.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I go to 7 to 10 AA meeting per week and have been for the last 11 months.

Of all those meetings I have never "passed" when it was my turn to speak. I even spoke at my very first meeting.

Many times I didn't want to speak and after I did I felt that what I said was stupid. I even have regrets over what I said when I gave my first lead but many people told me I was great.

My point is that their is no wrong thing to say and it helps to get what you are thinking out of your head.

A half hour ago I was at an AA discussion group and about 30 people spoke. I can barely remember what 90% of the people said. Don't be so self-conscious.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! That's a big step. Soon you'll be excited to share your thoughts with other recovering addicts
Old 12-02-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post!! You made me smile from ear to ear!!! Good for you!! I don’t know why it works but it does!! Keep up the great work!!
Old 12-02-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!!! And I am glad you feel good about speaking up - IME and IMO it's A-OK to do it in your own time and way.

Keep going!!
Old 12-03-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lpg

Thanks everyone for your kind encouragement and words. It felt so good to share it all came flooding out like hot lava and prob not how I wanted it to sound but I did the first step.

This page is awesome too I love all the support here you guys are amazing. Im glad I have a safe space to talk and read and learn. It really is a learning experience I'm learning alot from being here and how to be sober.

Thanks for reading
Lpg