Notices

Self Care and Sobriety

Old 11-30-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Care and Sobriety

I'm tired. emotional. Going through a lot. Really feeling the crushing weight of my lack of self esteem. Working through some serious trauma in therapy. My work's holiday party is tonight. I have been sober for 2.5 years now. I don't have any thoughts of drinking. However, I am in a terrible state of mind. I work with a lot of heavy drinkers and recreational drug users. I decided, after counsel with a friend who has been sober over 30 years, that I would not go to my work's holiday party this evening. She gently reminded me what the big book says, that if we feel squirrely we should stay away. I paid for my ticket last week and I told people I was going. So, initially, I thought "shoot I am stuck!" However, I am learning to care for myself. I need to take a walk, breathe some air, eat a good dinner, get some rest. I do not owe anyone an explanation other than "I'm sorry, I won't be able to make it after all." My sobriety comes first in my life. I am not selfish or weak for changing my mind and caring for myself. In reality, those choices are the ways of strength and maturity.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober AF Since 3/20/16

Thank you for this post. Made me tear up just a bit...
Old 11-30-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself. Two and a half years is an incredible achievement. I hope I get there someday.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very good on you. I take the same approach.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fitcher View Post
Thank you for this post. Made me tear up just a bit...
I love your tag...Sober AF! I'm gonna change mine to say that too!!!!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

what a great decision and a great example of how to protect your sobriety and your life!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I'm tired. emotional. Going through a lot. Really feeling the crushing weight of my lack of self esteem. Working through some serious trauma in therapy. My work's holiday party is tonight. I have been sober for 2.5 years now. I don't have any thoughts of drinking. However, I am in a terrible state of mind. I work with a lot of heavy drinkers and recreational drug users. I decided, after counsel with a friend who has been sober over 30 years, that I would not go to my work's holiday party this evening. She gently reminded me what the big book says, that if we feel squirrely we should stay away. I paid for my ticket last week and I told people I was going. So, initially, I thought "shoot I am stuck!" However, I am learning to care for myself. I need to take a walk, breathe some air, eat a good dinner, get some rest. I do not owe anyone an explanation other than "I'm sorry, I won't be able to make it after all." My sobriety comes first in my life. I am not selfish or weak for changing my mind and caring for myself. In reality, those choices are the ways of strength and maturity.
I for one think you are awesome. You have remained sober for 2.5 years, in your second year of sobriety you tackled your food issues and lost 70 pounds, I think you have great strength and I admire you.

About the party, meh. Go or don’t go. Just wanted you to know you deserve a higher esteem of yourself, you have accomplished amazing things.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

Bunny,

sorry you have been struggling lately. I remember another recent post from you about being tired of church basements. You are so strong, and you are wise to protect your sobriety. Those office things aren’t always that much fun anyway. Treat yourself to something special Bunny.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

You don't owe anybody an explanation for looking after your own well being.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep, your sobriety comes first. You just spoke for everyone here. We all need to hear this more often. Especially this time of year. THANK you for posting your thoughts with us. It's a blessing.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Don't know anyone who's ever woken up the day after their work Christmas party and thought ... I really should've gone to that party, it would've done wonders for my career!
Old 12-01-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
Don't know anyone who's ever woken up the day after their work Christmas party and thought ... I really should've gone to that party, it would've done wonders for my career!
Hahaha Right?
My coworker came into my office this morning and said "I don't remember how I got home last night."
Glad that is NO longer me.

Yes, we must protect our sobriety at all costs.

Love to all. In a dark place but working on getting myself out. Contented sobriety is a process I am learning.

XOXO,
Bunny
Old 12-01-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Uck. Office parties.
Whoever thought they are fun?
Glad you decided to forego.
Take care.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Uck. Office parties.
Whoever thought they are fun?
Even at the height of my drinking, I swore off office parties and doing shots. They were no fun and no good could come from them.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Are we trying to say that being the anchor drinker on the "winning" boat race relay team is NOT an enduring and praisworthy accolade?
Old 12-01-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think you made the right choice. It does seem kind of irrational to have alcohol served at work parties. I friend of mine got drunk at one, behaved very badly, and wound up getting fired for it. They're encouraging nonprofessional behavior amongst people that are expected to be professionals with one another every other day. Oh, I like your new avatar pic, btw!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am not selfish or weak for changing my mind and caring for myself. In reality, those choices are the ways of strength and maturity.

so very true, Bunny!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug.

I’m on Team Bunny. Always.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Sending you a hug.

I’m on Team Bunny. Always.
I love you bunches Aries!

XOXOX
Old 12-01-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Well done for staying strong. Work parties are usually lame anyway. I always ended up drinking a lot more than I meant to just out of boredom.