Notices

Just looking at the title of these threads...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Just looking at the title of these threads...

Is reason enough to tell that AV to go to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!

I frequent this forum-at almost three weeks I expected the physical discomfort of sobriety (mostly brought on by thoughts) would be gone, but where not. Foolishly I thought, " You had 3 years under your belt. When you get back on the sobriety, it won't take long to get back to being comfortable again."

So the last couple times I visited the landing page of SR, I let my eyes skim the titles of these threads and it was (forgive me but) SOBERING.

Thank you to all who contribute to SR, who open up their hearts and the doors to a very private part of themselves during those especially trying times. In an attempt to seek support and help, you are weaving a dual thread and supporting and helping others. Let's all make a collective effort and push the AV off the plank for good.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 3 weeks Forest. It is sometimes a bit discouraging at the amount of time that it takes our bodies and minds to heal after quitting. Expecially if it's a second, third ( or more ) try as each one seems harder than the last. As addicts we have a tendency to seek instant gratification in all areas of our life I think.

I agree 100'percent with your assessment of the SR community though. I am amazed and learn something new every day. I hope you can stay with is for another 3 weeks and more after that.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I understand what your saying. But for me the sobering up physical process was way easier than the physical pain brought on by copious amount of poison I was consuming. Of course the first week was terrible but after that I wasn't hungover anymore.
Yes, this community is AWESOME. Helping others is a major part of sobriety. We are passing along our experience, strength and hope to all that seek it. I'm just glad your back. It's a miracle. This disease does not give too many second chances. If you think it does, your fooling yourself.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree the titles were very sad yesterday, they made me tear up a little just because of the sheer amount of collective pain. I put up that friends post just to make sure they all knew I was there, reading and caring, not so much that I can be of so much help. I know that kind of pain.

We have other countries here but for a lot of us it was thanksgiving which made those of us with earlier days all feel a bit raw, even if we had a good one.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

Thank you, everyone. It's clear to me this second (and hopefully final) go that I still had a lot to learn. Somewhere down the line I stopped being an active participant in my sobriety. I also lost the grace of humility and stopped respecting and accepting my limitations.

It doesn't feel like a hangover really, it's more like around evening time my mouth dries up (I keep ginger ale stocked) and that indescribable sensation overcomes my body, though not nearly as powerful as before. I get restless and recognize what it is. As Sassy says: acknowledge, think it through and then put it to rest.

Yes Wayne - you're right. This last relapse I started to experience some far more worrisome physical manfestrations; a dull pain and swelling where my gallbladder is. I had blood tests and a CT scan, which indicated nothing out of the ordinary but when your body indicates pain, it's telling you something is very wrong. You don't need a doctor to tell you. Unbelievably, after spending all day at the hospital, as soon as I got the "good news" I went straight to the store to buy wine.

I complete agree, Scott. Addiction has taught me to seek immediate reward over temperance and patience. Now I have to relearn those graces whether I want to or not.

Three weeks and going for four. The long weekend was relaxing for the most part, but getting back into a routine will be helpful. As soon as I finish work, I head for the gym; not only is it a great way to get those endorphines flowing but a great diversion from more tempting avenues.

I will accept the longer duration into feeling physically myself again as the dues I pay for returning to what God saved me from once already. It has to be this way, lest I don't learn.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

I always come here when I'm low and thoughts of drinking are more frequent.

reading all those struggling with getting 1 day, relapses, family members etc always gets me through. I wish I had found this place while I was drinking. I never want to go back there