Notices

Naltrexone will NOT silence your AV…

Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone will NOT silence your AV…

And it will NOT get you off the bottle...
A recent post by one of the friends on this SR forum – and the nagging of my AV, made me do a little homework on this medicine/aid to help get us off the booze a bit easier. This is what I read, and my (totally personal and unbiased) opinion/conclusion.
Naltrexone takes away (most of) the craving, but it will not make you sick if you do drink alcohol. And coming back to the keyword – craving – my question is this: Do we really crave alcohol? or, Is it the mere thought of alcohol that gives us that happy – f… everything else - feeling? The answer, I think, lies in how we answer the following: Do you/we abuse alcohol, or are you/we alcohol-dependant? The difference between the two is simple. In short, alcohol abuse is too much, too often, and alcohol dependence is the inability to quit… (as stated by Hazeldon from the Betty Ford Foundation).
So. Will Naltrexone help you get sober?? This is what Dr Carlton Erickson, Ph.D., director of the Addiction Science Research and Education Center at the University of Texas in Austin, have to say about Naltrexone: “Naltrexone can help a person with alcohol dependence move toward the goal of abstinence, BUT, although FDA-approved, Naltrexone is only an adjunct to abstinence-based therapies, like Alcoholics Anonymous. Naltrexone is not something you give to someone who says 'I want to stop drinking, give me a pill.' Naltrexone is only a helper to that process. The medication itself is not a magic bullet."
My two cents worth? I think 95% of us on this forum have a very serious problem with alcohol, and all of us desperately want to stop drinking. (What else are we constantly on SR for?). But – for me at least – drinking isn’t just about the way it makes me feel. It’s about the whole package: the sound of a bottle opening, a drink splashing into a glass, ice on glass, sitting back and the feel of that glass/bottle in my hand, the bitter-burn on my tongue, the very thought of alcohol, the LUST for it…
So, when it’s boiled down: “Will removing 80% of the craving stop me from drinking?? Will Naltrexone silence the whispery-slithering-seducing-cajoling voice urging me to drink?? NO… It won’t. Believe me, it won’t.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think most people with long term recovery would agree that meds alone will probably not keep anyone sober, and thats reflected in most threads about naltrexone, baclofen antabuse, campral selincro and whatever else.

That being said, I'm not sure if you're speaking from personal experience or not Corriec.

I could find studies to prove or disprove anything on the net

If anyone here is on naltrexone thats between them and their prescribing doctor, surely?

D
Old 11-21-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you, Dee. What I'm saying is, don't put your faith in it (after trying to go it alone). It is not the answer, it will not work. And that it will work, might be the impression a lot of other SR forum users might get. I've put down on paper (computer, sorry) , exactly what those in the know say it (Naltrexone) will do, and also what it will not do/help with.
Main reason why I did some research, was that I actually considered getting some for myself: my AV is going crazy at times. The info I got, was disappointing, to say the least, and I wanted to share. Also - Doctors, I think, inform their patients about the efficacy of the meds they prescribe them, but I also think sometimes we only hear what we want - or hope, or wish.
I meant no affront to any other SR user/s, and if I came across like that, I apologize.
I can send you the links/URL's of the sites I've looked at for info, if you want?
By the way. Next Monday to me will be day 50.
Have a great day (what's left of it in OZ).
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No I don't need any links, Corrie - I'm not in line for Naltrexone treatment

I just think we should be wary of blanket statements.

Some of my SR friends have done well on various medications - in many cases they tell me it got them to the point where they were able to hope that recovery could not only be viable for them, but it might also be a permanent thing.

Sometimes things are not black or white but shades of grey, y'know?

D
Old 11-22-2017, 01:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

My psychiatrist wanted to add it as a “just in case” while I was in IOP. My therapist and program psychiatrist decided to wait and see. Still haven’t asked for it.

The Sinclair Method involves continuing to drink while taking naltrexone with the goal of moderation. Most patients just lose interest and give up drinking entirely, and the protocol has a relatively high success rate.

Chantix works by blocking the nicotine receptors so that cigarettes have little to no effect. Without the buzz I lost interest and just stopped for 9 years (started in rehab and require easily 90 days later).
Old 11-22-2017, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mindful. I've heard of the Sinclair method. Interesting, but expensive, I understand. meds, booze, et al... The problem I have, is that one keeps poisoning one's body while using the method. And that one may very well end up in hospital - or dead - whilst on the way to "moderation" or quitting altogether.
But setting the Sinclair method aside, I still think that depending on Naltrexone on its own (to supposedly inhibit the craving for alcohol) to kiss goodbye alcohol dependancy, will not work. Not without the resolve and determination no pill can give one.
But - again - that's just me, and I'm still very much a youngster on this Recovery Road.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A few thoughts- I'm one of those people who, as Dee described, strongly believes the right drugs prescribed by a good dr with whom we are honest can be excellent adjuncts to our recovery program.

For me, naltrexone did nothing - this was a few years ago and I just wanted to keep drinking, so I really can't say if it "would have" worked any, much or not at all.

Antabuse taken correctly is a good drug and I took it successfully for the first 90 days of my sobriety. To be accountable, I had a sheaf of papers that got signed by me and witnessed every single day (some drs have you come in to gt your pill everyday bc it is that serious of a drug, but that wasn't logistically feasible for me). I have not needed it since then (I am just past 21 mo) but I will always defer to my psych if anything I share with her makes her think I need it.

I still take Campral (acamprosate) 3x/day as typically prescribed- it's an anti craving med and I can honestly say I have not had a single physical craving since I quit. I do, however, believe that alcoholics- like me- do become physically dependent and crave it at some point in our active addiction, right along with our mental addiction. I'm happy taking Campral indefinitely/permanently if my dr wants it as a maintenance thing.

I take other drugs- two for sleep (seroquel which also has an anti-anxiety component, and Trazadone) and one for anxiety (ativan) daily/as needed. Since this last one is a benzo, I am very careful about taking it correctly.

All of this - ALL of it- is only in addition to a rigorous AA program. That's what keeps me sober- my ongoing acceptance of my alcoholism, spiritual fitness, and making the next right choice in everything I do (from not drinking to the tiniest things).

IMO and IME - IRL consultation and honest communication with a knowledgeable dr is the key part to any drug taking.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
G-Woman

It's my understanding that Naltrexone isn't taken to curb cravings. Rather, it tends to dampen the desire to drink more once alcohol has been consumed, due to it's ability to block certain receptors in our brain.

I agree that medication alone isn't likely to keep most addicts sober - it certainly isn't the answer for me. But when I was prescribed Naltrexone and Campral, it was always with the understanding that it was to be used in conjunction with a solid recovery plan.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I took it several times when I "tried" to get sober. I was not successful and I have not seen anyone else succeed with it. When I decided I crossed a line and enough was enough and I would do anything it took to stay sober....well, since that day 2.5 years ago, I stayed sober. Each journey is individual and unique so I'm not saying it won't help someone, but I've never seen anyone be successful by using it.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post
It's my understanding that Naltrexone isn't taken to curb cravings. Rather, it tends to dampen the desire to drink more once alcohol has been consumed, due to it's ability to block certain receptors in our brain.
That is the concept, yes. There are other drugs designed to do the same things, and others that are supposed to help with reducing cravings.

The bottom line is of course that everyone is different, and what works for one person may or may not work for the next. Might naltrexone ( or campral or antabuse ) be part of a successful recovery program for some? Absolutely. Might any one of them have no effect at all or potentially even negative side effects for others? Also yes.

One point that needs to made clear hear though is that the Sinclair method does promote using Naltrexone to "moderate" drinking on a permanent basis. We do not allow the promotion or discussion of such methods here on SR - just to make folks aware.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do we really crave alcohol? or, Is it the mere thought of alcohol that gives us that happy – f… everything else - feeling?

for me, i dont crave alcohol until ive had a drink. before that, its a mental obsession.
for me, it wasnt the thought of alcohol that gives me the "happy – f… everything else - feeling." it was my past, inaccurate experiences- the experiences where i thought thats what it did, but it really didnt.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Because promoting that is promoting something dangerous for a lot of us.

Audrey kishline killed a family with her car while “moderating drinking.”

I am here because I cannot moderate if I could you’d never have seen my posts here to begin with.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I am not these thoughts - I am the Master of these thoughts.

I have heard of Naltrexone; my concern would be that if I am physically dependent, I am still putting alcohol in my body even if the receptors responsible for "good feelings" are blocked.

However, I didn't know there were drugs for cravings such as Campral until this post and my curiosity is peaked, along with Ativan for anxiety. Thank you, August. I am going to ask my doctor about it...
Old 11-22-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Samantha

This is a really interesting thread.
I’ve often thought that a drug may help me quit alcohol for good, but it’s just so hard to say.
There are so many different options and side effects and ways of working on different people!
How do doctors decide which one to use?
Old 11-22-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'd never heard of it until I read about it here. It's not something I plan on trying.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForestFrenzy View Post
I have heard of Naltrexone; my concern would be that if I am physically dependent, I am still putting alcohol in my body even if the receptors responsible for "good feelings" are blocked.

However, I didn't know there were drugs for cravings such as Campral until this post and my curiosity is peaked, along with Ativan for anxiety. Thank you, August. I am going to ask my doctor about it...
You're welcome, Forest. My drs- GP, liver and psych- have been and continue to be central in my ongoing recovery. Health issues like an alternating over/under active thyroid as well.

Anarock- IME a psych with addiction specialization or thorough education should be the one prescribing these. A lot of GP's aren't truly knowledgeable - I know that having my three drs in the same provider group means that they each have access to all of my records and can work in conjunction bc each sees my current list of drugs. I rely on expert direction and reporting on how things are working.

Campral has had no side effects for me (I don't recall if there are any significant ones to be aware of- I've been taking it so long!) and it is just a "like clock work" thing for me. One in the am, the other two in my coin purse for lunchtime and early eve.

As far as Ativan - I know that benzos are controversial as far as recovery goes. My personal experience is that I have learned the signs of impending anxiety, which has changed during my time in recovery; last year, it was common that an increasing heart rate, or shortness of breath would signal it, and lately it has been an onset of agitation. I always preserve a week's worth of pills, straight out of the bottle when rx filled, as part of my efforts to monitor my usage and not go into either taking it for "extra effect" or when I can use other tools to handle anxiety. I have learned that one pill a day should be my minimum and I tend to get a serious headache if I don't take it.

Just a little elaboration in case it is helpful to anyone. Last note- I was first prescribed an anti-depressant (oh yeah! I forgot to mention I take a mild dose of paxil (paroxetene) daily since minor depression began a year ago) when I was 20 or 21 (I am 41 now) and that was when I had to "get over" the feelings like "I SHOULD be able to handle this without drugs," etc. That mental shift is something lots of us have to make if/when we trust our drs to prescribe meds. And we should ALWAYS take them as prescribed, something I was seriously remiss about that!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

in october when i went to the doctor to figure out how to stop drinking and possibly smoking i was prescribe welbutrim. the doctor wanted to prescribe antabuse for some reason when i went to the pharmacy to get my prescription it was only for the welbutrim.

being the person i am with this addictive personality i have to be very careful with medication. so in that respect I'm happy i did not have the antabuse. in the case of the welbutrim which is for depression anxiety and curving the desire to smoke i finish a 30 day prescription in 15 days. i was supposed to take one pill i took two.

you see my two cents, for me support and really working and getting thru ME is the only way. i would abuse anything and everything i really like that feeling of being high not a care in the world in the clouds.

but to each its on (i won't be back for more welbutrim and i will try to manage my depression but if i need to i would do anything i can to not drink again) so I'm cool with whatever works for you!

thank you for this thought provoking post Corriec,
Old 11-23-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm firmly convinced that the only thing that will end a drinking problem is quitting drinking. Everything else is ways to make that easier to achieve, and for some people naltrexone is one of those things that make it easier. Never taken it myself, and even if I had, my experiences wouldn't necessarily be valid or useful for anyone else, 'cos we're all different.

There aren't any magic pills, unfortunately. That includes naltrexone, disulfiram/antabuse (I did try this one), going to a particular meeting or reading a particular book, etc. We still gotta do the work of not drinking, and succeed at actually not drinking.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shortstop81 View Post

I agree that medication alone isn't likely to keep most addicts sober - it certainly isn't the answer for me. But when I was prescribed Naltrexone and Campral, it was always with the understanding that it was to be used in conjunction with a solid recovery plan.
Naltrexone is prescribed to reduce cravings, and to be taken daily. The sinclair method is something else of using the med in conjunction with drinking to somehow eliminate the "high" from alcohol, thus reprogramming the brain not to want it, though I haven't seem many people having success with this, but many that do with using it the way it was intended.
Though you are corrects meds are just another piece in the arsenal to help with recovery, with a solid recovery plan being the core.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Changing

I am a chronic relapser that wants more than anything to maintain continuous sobriety ...

today, my kids are with their father for thanksgiving and i'm alone in my home.

i have 60 something days.
i felt depressed and thought about drinking today.
then i remembered i took the stupid pill and wouldn't be able to get drunk.
so i didn't go to the liquor store and buy alcohol.
i'm having a hot chocolate ,laying with my two dogs, and watching tv, checkin sober recovery etc.

i think if i hadn't had the naltrexone, i might have relapsed today.
i don't think i want to question the doctor that prescribed it to me, because it's working for me and nothing else was.
just my 2 cents.

i take it every day and my thoughts about alcohol are less --- and then when i do entertain the thought the fact that i'm on a medicine that wouldn't let me enjoy it, helps get me away from actually relapsing...and oddly while on this medication i quit smoking too and have no desire to smoke.

maybe it's all in my head.
most things are.

happy turkey day y'all.
tiff