Notices

Naltrexone will NOT silence your AV…

Old 11-23-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Corrie,

Beware the depths of moral and intellectual certainty.

I am so pleased that you remain sober and seem to be thoroughly enjoying your discoveries. I am also gratified that you want to share your findings with others. I sense it comes from a very good place.

An expert in being one in treatment and a chronic relapser, I have encountered alcohol and opioid addicts who have benefited greatly from naltrexone, particularly Vivitrol which is the injected form.

O
Old 11-24-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I credit Naltrexone with starting me on this journey. Asking my doctor for it flipped a switch in my brain and made me determined to quit drinking. It's as if it was the final signal to myself that I had a problem. I only took it for 10 days because of the side effects. My experience with it makes me think it could work long term as long as you can tolerate it.

There's no shame in taking a pill as long as you need it and you are taking it as prescribed. That said, I am very wary of Benzos because they are so addictive. Even if you take them as prescribed you can get very dependent and go through extreme withdrawal if you stop without tapering. I have severe anxiety, but I can no longer take them so I have to take a blood pressure med called Tenex if I have a panic attack. It works OK, but nothing works as well as Benzos for anxiety, unfortunately for me.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

None of the drugs replace the deeply pleasurable effects of alcohol.

As such, they are only balms.

They do not teach people how to live with the memory of the deeply pleasurable effects of alcohol - which never go away - by recognizing them as not a disease symptom, but as a haywire biological imperative.

AVRT does.

The drugs are very little different from other distraction techniques such as sewing and house cleaning. They don't replace the deeply pleasurable effects of alcohol either.

The drugs only teach people how to forego the negative aspects of alcohol consumption, not the pleasurable ones, and that is where most people who fail get tripped up.